DriveClub by Evolution Studios [PS4]

it's easy to see, do a race, park your car at the bordure of a track where the camera will pan a bit over it, letting you see the engine bay, and press the touchpad to enter photomode, as there is no black screen between modes, you immediately see the lod switching, which of course does not happen in time trial as the model is already high LOD.

Yea I know, I checked that out today.
Just curious over why he would claim that to be entirely false.
Because he's been dismissing every critic of DC for months on Twitter and then hides when shit hits the fan (like during botched launch period).
Just remember that he claimed that one of the promo video released by some Spanish website just days before release was 100% in-game footage... which was clearly a lie...

i don't know.
maybe because of this: fact 21
A typical DRIVECLUB car is made up of 260,000 polygons. The staggeringly detailed cars you see in promo videos are the same models you drive in the game – they’re not pre-rendered CG versions.

but that was way before launch and before they decided to add weather, so maybe they switched LOD to keep a perfect framerate, as it does not matter to have fine interior and engine details while playing as you won't notice them anyway, but you would notice framedrops.

It's one thing to spin the context and semantics but it amazes me how a game director of a big game would flat out lie like that about their game or their affiliated products. Then again Aaron Greenberg has been doing that for years.

Semantics are important. LOD doesn't necessarily mean swapping out models, which is what was specifically asked. You can reduce fidelity on an existing model to get a lower LOD. There was a DirectX 7 demo of this with a tiger, I suddenly and vividly remember.

i don't know.
maybe because of this: fact 21
A typical DRIVECLUB car is made up of 260,000 polygons. The staggeringly detailed cars you see in promo videos are the same models you drive in the game – they’re not pre-rendered CG versions.

Well technically that statement is still true. Those highest-detailed cars are still usable in real-time in the game.

I honestly didn't even notice the LOD swaps until you posted the comparison pics though, as it looks like the exteriors remain almost exactly the same and the detail changes are in the engines and interior from the exterior view.

btw.. how did you make the 3D stereo image of Drivelub? O_O
You mean me? Pretty simply, especially as I haven't even bothered with convergence points and such (I'd probably want to aim via the classic "cheerio on screen" method or something for that). I'm just going to photomode and taking two screenshots, one horizontally offset from the other. Then I set them side-by-side on my PC, putting the "left eye" shot on the right side, and the "right eye" shot on the left.

//====================

...Uh, if you were wondering about this, it's simultaneously more clever and more of a stupid hack. I literally just drove the vehicle down the road on Cayoosh, restarted the time trial, and did it again with a slight horizontal offset. I then produced the gif from the footage.

It's a clumsy process, since it's hard to get the alignment and timing precise; the reason the car is going so slow is that I forced constant speed by shoving it into a low gear and redlining. Your results can vary in quality from reasons as stupid as frame alignment (i.e. the left eye might cross a line on the road exactly on a frame transition, but the right eye is "8ms behind", but there's nothing you can do about it except re-record since your actual frames are 33ms apart). In this case, I also screwed up when building the gif; the right side has a stutter which causes misalignment partway through the animation.

Suffice it to say, there's a reason that it's a recording of the start of the course. I'm tempted to try it on places farther out though (like some of those cool bridges, heh).

Despite its problems I'm still sort of proud of the results.

Here's a quick one I threw together for India. It came out somewhat smooth, but the alignment isn't perfect and there's a pretty unfortunate temporal offset between the eyes.

I really like this game but I'm not very good - during online challanges I can generally get 2 out of 3 good sections but I always mess up 1 - but even then the gulf between myself and the top is just unbelievable...am I correct in thinking that if a callange is set it's with the exact same setup (weather/car/etc)?

I really like this game but I'm not very good - during online challanges I can generally get 2 out of 3 good sections but I always mess up 1 - but even then the gulf between myself and the top is just unbelievable...am I correct in thinking that if a callange is set it's with the exact same setup (weather/car/etc)?

Yeah, challenges carry over the same weather, time, and car as the creator's experience.

Blimey, been a while since I logged into B3D! Anyway, I've got some of you chaps as friends so can see your times, but for anyone else please feel free to add my to your friends list if you wast another challenger! 8)

Slaters
Anth

Teaser on facebook and twitter :)
1469948_758660927551603_7597089710340408704_n.jpg

Back