PlayStation Now - could Sony go after Valve?

Playstation Now subscription plan
Starting January 13th on PS4 across North America first. One month $19.99 and 3-months $44.99 ($15/month) plans available. Subscription plan is not on other devices yet but will come available later. Catalog currently consist of +100 PS3 games.

It remains to be seen how fast they upload new games or will PS4 games are in a pipeline. Second issue is the usual Sony speed do they drag this behind after release, say do Scandinavia never see this available. MusicUnlimited is avail in Finland but MovieUnlimited is still missing in action (probably they don't care about subtitling partnering).

I'm regularly on a Mac or iPad. Bring the service to these platforms and I might consider it.

If it's Playstation, I'll stick to just PS+.

Wait, this is on top of PS+ ? Should make PS+ a subset of PS Now for early adopters.

I guess you are not factoring in the price of the console? This service is primarily aimed at PS4 owners who did not own a PS3.

IMO the price is fine, it is competitive with Gamefly or any other rental, they just need more content. While there are ~100 games, about half of it is crap no one wants to play, now or then. But for people who have never played Uncharted, God of War, Infamous, etc. this would be the only way short of buying a PS3 which is still over $200.

When you boil down whats worth playing from the ps3 is there really that much avalible you can't get in other places ?

I dunno man $20 a month is pretty steep . Under $10 a month and its a no brainer above $10 and its a I will think about it , $20 or more a month and its a forget about it.

i wonder why Sony really adamant on limiting PS Now service only to special Samsung TV, some Sony TV, and PS4. They afraid it got cracked if it comes to PC or something?

i wonder why Sony really adamant on limiting PS Now service only to special Samsung TV, some Sony TV, and PS4. They afraid it got cracked if it comes to PC or something?

How could it be cracked when it's entirely online streaming and requires authentication?

I remember Samsung already signed on to Gaikai when Sony bought them. So those seem to be existing commitment, plus internal devices.

They've explicitly said they plan to expand to iOS, PC and other internet connected devices in the future.

Yeah, but based on their current pace and strategy, it'd be hard for them to outdo Samsung and the rising large Chinese manufacturers.
On the Playstation front, it would be a slow and hopefully steady marathon as well.

it will be great if they finally properly support PC...

but looking at their PC software development history. i will be surprised if they releasing it anytime soon. (remoteplay on PC is abandoned, Content Manager on PC is a clunky slow mess).

They should make a web client so it's playable on Windows, Linux and OSX. All you need is authentication, a video stream and input from a controller.

They should make a web client so it's playable on Windows, Linux and OSX. All you need is authentication, a video stream and input from a controller.

It should be a native app on iOS for best performance. Safari doesn't support extensions or MSE.

Gaikai already runs in a web plugin on Windows right ? They only need to port it to Chrome and Safari Extensions, if not already done so.

EDIT:
Killing off Playstation Mobile was the right move, but it dragged on for longer than necessary. Development was too slow.

Hopefully the PS Mobile team is moved to work on Gaikai clients.

Last edited:
It would be crazy if it was a subset of the 200 games, at that price.

It appears that it is, in fact, a separate list of games available to the subscription service. You can see the list here.

Wait, this is on top of PS+ ? Should make PS+ a subset of PS Now for early adopters.

Its not on top of PS+, it is separate from PS+. I'm guessing your aware of that, but its an important point of clarification.

You might be right. ;) Coming as a PS+ subscriber, one (Patsu) would have to pay for PSNow on top of the current PS+ subscription. But you don't need PS+ for PSNow, and if you're not a PS+ subscriber, it isn't a cost on top of.

Is there really a market for this? Or are Sony preparing for something else.

I personally have no interest in playing old PS3 games and I guess the about 80mill PS3 users aren't interested so much either.

So, are there any rumors about the future extensions of PSNow?

They're stepping into delivering their goal of delivering PS4 games. Anybody remember the February 2013 reveal when among the goals for PS4 was that all games would be accessible (without demos) by streaming?

See something in the store you fancy and want to try before you buy? No problem, quickly stream and play a portion of the game.

I think the reason they are starting with PS3 games is because few are 1080p. 720p and lower will reduce the stress on the server farm and people's connections.

Goals! Those pesky little things few people ever actually reach properly, on time, or at all.

I think they'll do it (it's why Sony bought Gaikai) but I wouldn't like to hazard a guess when. Obviously there are still hurdles before gaming streaming over IP is viable for the masses and Sony can't solve these alone. People need decent connections for a start.

I personally have no interest in playing old PS3 games and I guess the about 80mill PS3 users aren't interested so much either.

So, are there any rumors about the future extensions of PSNow?

You can basically run PSNow on any device with a fast internet connection.

Back