R420 and brilinear

vb

Regular
considering its heritage (RV350) I think it's a fact that R420 will feature brilinear filtering. Expecting NV40 to be much closer performance-wise, ho do you think ATI will handle it?

will we get a clear option in CP, will it get hidden in texture quality options or will it be forced upon us?

forceware XX.XX are WHQL so they could do it.

R200 actually featured something like this in the first place - the reason ot was removed for R300 was they felt that high end boards would just want full Trilinear all the time, so that logic may apply to R420 as well.

However, there may be other reasons why they may wish for it to be included.

DaveBaumann said:
R200 actually featured something like this in the first place - the reason ot was removed for R300 was they felt that high end boards would just want full Trilinear all the time, so that logic may apply to R420 as well.
.. but they just "forgot" to give ability of "forcing" AF & TL ... how many people will use 3rd party tools (rtool) ? :(
so the logic behind some decisions is unclear imho.

well over the next few years that should be phased out shouldn't it because developers should be adding AF support in their applications.

chavvdarrr said:
.. but they just "forgot" to give ability of "forcing" AF & TL ... how many people will use 3rd party tools (rtool) ? :(

No. From a hardware point of view, thats there. We're not talking about what the hardware can do, not what the control panel lets you do.

DaveBaumann said:

However, there may be other reasons why they may wish for it to be included.

Nope. According to this it is there no matter what. they may choose to enable it or not.

PS: What are we not talking about?

vb said:
Nope. According to this it is there no matter what. they may choose to enable it or not.

What? I'm not sure what that quted post has to do with "Brilinear" Filtering.

ATI has something like "Brilinear" filtering in R200 class chips, they removed it for the high end R300 class chips (R300/R350/R360) meaning you can either only have full Trilinear or straight Bilinear - this was put back in for RV350 (and RV360) because the market segement these are aimed ATI ATI felt there would be more of a call for it.

I assume any next gen card will be ABLE to go full tri at least... Methinks we haven't heard the last of the control panel shinnanigans, however. Heh...

OK, f**ked up the press releases. Yet Ati signed an agreement which allowed to use physical chip areas in redesigning new chips. There was a lot of talk at the time that this was the technology used to get R420 out of "n" Rv350. so the feature is there.

I am reasonably certain that brilinear will be used. maybe they will print a reviewer's guide saying performance comparisons should be done using this feature for "apples-to-apples" comparisons. Which I consider OK.

But I didn't see any review/test between 9600XT and FX5700 using brilinear on the 9600. So, there are big chances it will be forced upon us

vb said:
OK, f**ked up the press releases. Yet Ati signed an agreement which allowed to use physical chip areas in redesigning new chips. There was a lot of talk at the time that this was the technology used to get R420 out of "n" Rv350. so the feature is there.

I am reasonably certain that brilinear will be used. maybe they will print a reviewer's guide saying performance comparisons should be done using this feature for "apples-to-apples" comparisons. Which I consider OK.

But I didn't see any review/test between 9600XT and FX5700 using brilinear on the 9600. So, there are big chances it will be forced upon us

hardocp has one
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTAy

DaveBaumann said:
vb said:

What? I'm not sure what that quted post has to do with "Brilinear" Filtering.

ATI has something like "Brilinear" filtering in R200 class chips, they removed it for the high end R300 class chips (R300/R350/R360) meaning you can either only have full Trilinear or straight Bilinear - this was put back in for RV350 (and RV360) because the market segement these are aimed ATI ATI felt there would be more of a call for it.

Since R420 is based on the RV3X0 the obivous question are the features from the RXXX gonna be reimplemented such as Hierarchal-Z?

bloodbob said:
Since R420 is based on the RV3X0 the obivous question are the features from the RXXX gonna be reimplemented such as Hierarchal-Z?

I may be babeling but I think Hierarchical-Z is part of geometry setup. It is dumping whole polygons before it is reaching rendering engine

Anyway I don't think it works per quad so it doesn't apply.

chavvdarrr said:
So many people whine about this it's funny. Overriding application settings is bad. Complain to developers about lack of support for simple features like AA and AF: IHVs have much more important things to worry about than overriding application settings.

-FUDie

Back