DDos or how we lost our games to a Lizard

Lucky for you. PSN has been functionally dead for my wife and I since the 25th. Still can't log into PSN as of this morning and have to turn off the Internet connection to play local games (Terraria for example).

What I don't get is why their CDN can't be used to at least push out a notice to their users about what is going on. It's not like all of Akamai fell over.

Well a few hours later I was out of luck again , then after another few I had to try several times to get back in . Then I had to restart BF4 5 times to get onto EA Server. Once in there were no probs again.

It should be easily explained to kids on Christmas. If I threw a suck about not being able to play video games for a day, my parents would have set me straight. In my lifetime, my parents gave me many lessons about what is and isn't important in life. If you're a person with limited time to play games, then maybe your next chance to play will be in a week, or a month, then oh well. Read a book, go outside, start another hobby. Do whatever. The griefers only do things because they get the response they're looking for.

How would you explain it? And if my kids threw a suck(?) because they couldn't play game thanks to someone that on purpose stopped them from it i wouldn't put them straight (what is that anyway a quick slap?).
As for the rest of your post:
For me it's not a question of being able to do something else with my time. I have plenty to spend time on , actually I have to little time as it is. It's a question of when I want to play or be online with my Xbone or Playstations it's a limited period where I am able to do it. And that missed opportunity can't always be redone.

a door stopper? A little perspective may be in order. Your console doesn't become a doorstop if you can't play it for a day. It just means you have to do something else for a day.
I think you understand the metaphor, and it's 4 days now, so the original XB1 would potentially have been dead for 4 days along with all the games for it.

I think you understand the metaphor, and it's 4 days now, so the original XB1 would potentially have been dead for 4 days along with all the games for it.

Uh what? Please dont attribute Sony troubles and lack of resolving issues with Microsoft.

The XBOX Live service was up on the 25th here and there and was restored to everyone on the 26th. That's not even 1 full day.

That's not what I've heard. While the XBL situation was better than PSN, I've seen several complaints about XBL as well. Many users were at least able to sign in though, while most PSN users were locked out. I was only able to sign in to PSN once from the 25th-27th, at 3AM.

Uh what? Please dont attribute Sony troubles and lack of resolving issues with Microsoft.

The XBOX Live service was up on the 25th here and there and was restored to everyone on the 26th. That's not even 1 full day.
Uh what?

This ddos round is a perfect example of the problems the original Xbone vision faced. Live being up or not has nothing to do with my post on the subject. One of those posts you carefully ignored

How would you explain it?
We should probably stop the 'how to raise your family' line of discussion here. In the grand scheme of things, not playing your console for a day is no big deal, but people being people, they grumbled. While lots of people don't have reason to celebrate on Christmas and so shouldn't be beholden to a rule that on the 25th of December they should interact with their family (different faith, different culture, no family around, evil family they don't want to be a part of, yada yada).

Scott_Arm's "things were better in my day. Sheesh, the yoof of today!" talk should be taken to something like General Discussion, methinks.

But they didn't stop the attacks.
Just because you can bribe a lizard doesn't mean it stays bribed...

Kim Shithead is an idiot. Anyone (else) could have seen this coming a mile off. These lizard people aren't the kind that will just stop their lulz because someone asks them to.

We should probably stop the 'how to raise your family' line of discussion here. In the grand scheme of things, not playing your console for a day is no big deal, but people being people, they grumbled. While lots of people don't have reason to celebrate on Christmas and so shouldn't be beholden to a rule that on the 25th of December they should interact with their family (different faith, different culture, no family around, evil family they don't want to be a part of, yada yada).

Scott_Arm's "things were better in my day. Sheesh, the yoof of today!" talk should be taken to something like General Discussion, methinks.
Other families values isn't really my issue or problem.
Nor do I claim that books provide more value or whatever than games or the other way around , I leave that up to others and ignore what I don't agree upon.

The issue I think we have is the reliance on something that is proving to be open to attacks, and the problems they create are real for those that have them.

And it's only going to get worse.

about "what if" condition when x1 do have always-on 24h "checkpoint" problem with lizard's attack... we dont know what MS plan for it. Maybe they already planned the license check to works even when central server is down for many people. Something like how torrent works. one head cut off, theres still many heads. other xbox can verify themselves as long as there's some xbox successfully download the latest checkpoint/license/stuff.

EDIT:
i just re read my post and sounds weird as heck.

Uh what?

This ddos round is a perfect example of the problems the original Xbone vision faced. Live being up or not has nothing to do with my post on the subject. One of those posts you carefully ignored

I didn't ingore. I was being accurate.

It's an example of how horrible an always online Sony console would be. In the always online Microsoft console example, it wouldn't have even been impacted.

Now if you want to talk theoreticals, then that's an entirely different matter. Like if MS was theoretically as bad as Sony with handling issues...

Other families values isn't really my issue or problem.
Nor do I claim that books provide more value or whatever than games or the other way around , I leave that up to others and ignore what I don't agree upon.

The issue I think we have is the reliance on something that is proving to be open to attacks, and the problems they create are real for those that have them.

And it's only going to get worse.

What if the XBOne and PS4 and the games that run on them couldn't exist in their current form without their online requirements? Ultimately, if you follow the motivations for these decisions there are economic considerations tied to some of these online requirements. If you could have a box with absolutely no online requirement, but had to settle for it being more expensive, being less capable, having fewer games, having more expensive games or having games with fewer features do you think that would be a fair trade-off? Do you think most consumers would agree? Especially when considering the percentage of the time that everything works fine vs. when it is broken?

I didn't ingore. I was being accurate.

It's an example of how horrible an always online Sony console would be. In the always online Microsoft console example, it wouldn't have even been impacted.

Now if you want to talk theoreticals, then that's an entirely different matter. Like if MS was theoretically as bad as Sony with handling issues...

Theoreticals, of course, you have no idea what would have happened. In theory these last few days could have been a disaster for the original vision that Microsoft had, of course we have no idea how it would work, but lets just Theory that the check would come at a random time within 24 hours, and if the Console did not receive a "ok" from HQ within that time frame then it went offline, along with a complete collection of every game that the owner had.

https://downdetector.com/status/xbox-live

And we all know how these trolls work, if they were able to take down every game! on the XBOX it would be a goal in itself, just for lulz

What if the XBOne and PS4 and the games that run on them couldn't exist in their current form without their online requirements? Ultimately, if you follow the motivations for these decisions there are economic considerations tied to some of these online requirements. If you could have a box with absolutely no online requirement, but had to settle for it being more expensive, being less capable, having fewer games, having more expensive games or having games with fewer features do you think that would be a fair trade-off? Do you think most consumers would agree? Especially when considering the percentage of the time that everything works fine vs. when it is broken?

Consumers would have no issue until they realized just what the real costs would be, like consumers usually are, uninformed and ignorant. But i doubt that anyone would be foolish enough to go that route once more.

That MTU thing didn't work for me.

No need to play around with the MTU setting because PSN has officially been back online since yesterday.

The MTU thing didn't work for me previously but it did this morning. I changed back and forth from 1500 to 1473 a number of times to confirm it wasn't just luck of the draw. 1500 = no PSN, 1473 means connection without issue.

@djskribbles Sony, has been running around with their heads cut off as far as official responses go. Whomever is posting updates to the blog and support pages is not getting correct or timely information or doesn't understand what tech staff are telling them.

Well maybe officially they are back online but actually without the MTU change I can't sign-in.

I could really use a n00b explanation on just what the heck could be the reason for the MTU changes to work, seems like snake oil to me.. but i take your word for it.. so.. what is going?

I could really use a n00b explanation on just what the heck could be the reason for the MTU changes to work, seems like snake oil to me.. but i take your word for it.. so.. what is going?

PSN must be using an MTU lower than 1500. If your PS4 is MTU 1500, that means packets will fragment somewhere inside PSN. Typically, networks will handle that without any issue at all. For whatever reason, PSN seems to be unable to handle fragmentation right now. If you lower the MTU on your PS4, you're basically sending packets that PSN can handle without fragmentation.

Back