Movie Reviews 2.0

I slept through Divergent on cable the other night. These tween movies are god awful dreck, between this unimaginative garbage, Percy Jackson, and the Twilight movies, I can't help but think it's all crap.

Took my son to see the last Thorin Oakenshield. . .er, I mean Hobbit movie. An artless stringing of frames from the latest graduate of the Ed Wood school of film. Jackson demonstrates yet again he understands neither story nor character nor pacing nor how to frame a f'n scene. I can't think of a less talented hack of a director given a larger budget in my lifetime. Congratulations on your ability to take literature that has transcended generations and distilling it down to a mindless series of droll action sequences tailored toward the lowest denominator of movie-goer: young men ages 14-25. The movies are essentially high production valued visual noise.

Jackson demonstrates yet again he understands neither story nor character nor pacing nor how to frame a f'n scene
I havent seen the film, will perhaps watch later when it comes to video (perhaps it is crap)
but Im hope you don't praise (insert super hero film X here) cause they have essentially all the same plot, I've seen >20 in the last decade and it feels like I've just been watching versions of the same film

I havent seen the film, will perhaps watch later when it comes to video (perhaps it is crap)
but Im hope you don't praise (insert super hero film X here) cause they have essentially all the same plot, I've seen >20 in the last decade and it feels like I've just been watching versions of the same film
Have you ever actually read any comics about superheroes? They really don't vary a whole lot of overall themes.

... cause they have essentially all the same plot, I've seen >20 in the last decade and it feels like I've just been watching versions of the same film

IMO that is valid for the absolute majority of hollywood productions (movies and TV).

But you already ranted about the Hobbit last sunday (post 2948) :D

Now if that's not a sign of age. Apparently I still had a little grouse left in me a week later.

I would praise Winter Soldier for having extremely well-choreographed action, for decent pacing, for pulling off the intentional feel of a 1970s spy thriller, for being politically topical and relevant, etc. There's a touch of pathos with Steve not wanting to fight his childhood friend. In contrast, I was half-laughing when pretty-boy dwarf got bent over Franken-orc's knee and speared with the haft of his weapon. I imagine tween girls were swooning over that well-developed love story coming to such a sad end though.

I get your drift though. Comic book movies are not high art. But they actually take a medium traditionally geared toward younger readers and in Marvel's case make decent movies out of the material. Sure, they have decades of story and character to mine and that's a huge advantage, but I would suggest looking at everything else DC has tried outside of Nolan's Batman trilogy as evidence that it's obviously easy to make a very bad comic book movie. Stuff like Winter Soldier and Guardians/Galaxy are solidly entertaining movies with far more verve and applied skill than anything Jackson touches.

Have you ever actually read any comics about superheroes? They really don't vary a whole lot of overall themes.
I used to as a kid. Though that excuse is only valid if they're remaking a certain comic's story, the vast majority of these superhero films are new stories thus its not a valid excuse. Speaking of repeated plots, I actually watched a superhero film last night Scooby-Doo! Mask of the Blue Falcon (2012) though with them thats part of charm, btw one of the best scobby doobby films (up there with zombie island), its a pisstake of adam west wanting to play the lead in the upcoming reboot 'dark and brooding' batman film, it actually takes the piss out of the current wave of superhero films quite well.

We're a big Scooby-Doo fan household here as well. I have Mask of the Blue Falcon but not Zombie Island. I didn't know that about Blue Falcon, that's quite funny and I see how it fits now. Despite the films being the same thing everytime we enjoy them all still, the modern ones have quite a bit of humor in them, not afraid of taking the piss out of themselves.

I can vaguely remember the blue falcon from my childhood on TV http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynomutt,_Dog_Wonder If you're a fan of the old adam west batman from the 60's and have seen nolans batman trilogy you'ld instantly see its a pisstake of that
I've seen 32 of the 35 scooby films, Zombie Island is a bit different (animation is higher quality and the plot isn't the typical scooby film its like they were trying to take it in a new direction, a darker :rolleyes: scooby )

Hollywood blockbuster rulesheet
here is BlackSydner's beat sheet, i.e. how to structure a films plot to make the audience go WOW thats an amazing story

Opening Image
– A visual that represents the struggle & tone of the story. A snapshot of the main character’s problem, before the adventure begins.

Set-up – Expand on the “before” snapshot. Present the main character’s world as it is, and what is missing in their life.

Theme Stated (happens during the Set-up) – What your story is about; the message, the truth. Usually, it is spoken to the main character or in their presence, but they don’t understand the truth…not until they have some personal experience and context to support it.

Catalyst – The moment where life as it is changes. It is the telegram, the act of catching your loved-one cheating, allowing a monster onboard the ship, meeting the true love of your life, etc. The “before” world is no more, change is underway.

Debate – But change is scary and for a moment, or a brief number of moments, the main character doubts the journey they must take. Can I face this challenge? Do I have what it takes? Should I go at all? It is the last chance for the hero to chicken out.

Break Into Two (Choosing Act Two) – The main character makes a choice and the journey begins. We leave the “Thesis” world and enter the upside-down, opposite world of Act Two.

B Story – This is when there’s a discussion about the Theme – the nugget of truth. Usually, this discussion is between the main character and the love interest. So, the B Story is usually called the “love story”.

The Promise of the Premise – This is the fun part of the story. This is when Craig Thompson’s relationship with Raina blooms, when Indiana Jones tries to beat the Nazis to the Lost Ark, when the detective finds the most clues and dodges the most bullets. This is when the main character explores the new world and the audience is entertained by the premise they have been promised.

Midpoint – Dependent upon the story, this moment is when everything is “great” or everything is “awful”. The main character either gets everything they think they want (“great”) or doesn’t get what they think they want at all (“awful”). But not everything we think we want is what we actually need in the end.

Bad Guys Close In – Doubt, jealousy, fear, foes both physical and emotional regroup to defeat the main character’s goal, and the main character’s “great”/“awful” situation disintegrates.

All is Lost – The opposite moment from the Midpoint: “awful”/“great”. The moment that the main character realizes they’ve lost everything they gained, or everything they now have has no meaning. The initial goal now looks even more impossible than before. And here, something or someone dies. It can be physical or emotional, but the death of something old makes way for something new to be born.

Dark Night of the Soul – The main character hits bottom, and wallows in hopelessness. The Why hast thou forsaken me, Lord? moment. Mourning the loss of what has “died” – the dream, the goal, the mentor character, the love of your life, etc. But, you must fall completely before you can pick yourself back up and try again.

Break Into Three (Choosing Act Three) – Thanks to a fresh idea, new inspiration, or last-minute Thematic advice from the B Story (usually the love interest), the main character chooses to try again.

Finale – This time around, the main character incorporates the Theme – the nugget of truth that now makes sense to them – into their fight for the goal because they have experience from the A Story and context from the B Story. Act Three is about Synthesis!

Final Image – opposite of Opening Image, proving, visually, that a change has occurred within the character.

THE END

THE AVENGERS // choosen since this is prolly the most highly recent superhero film here

1. Opening Image The film opens on an image of the Tesseract. This source of energy is the key to the entire film, the glowing blue cube that will cause a war between Earth and the Chitauri. It will also cause some of Earth’s mightiest heroes to come together by the final image. During the Opening Image, we see an odd stairway in space leading up to an individual known as only as The Other. We listen as The Other, a villain, provides some insight into who and what the threat is for our world. And it doesn’t take long for this threat to arrive.

2. Theme Stated After the arrival of Loki and the destruction of the secret NASA base examining the properties of the Tesseract, S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Nick Fury radios Agent Phil Coulson, telling him that we are now at war. This is what the film will revolve around: the idea of conflict and the threat from outside our world as well as from within. To find peace, our protagonists will not only have to defeat the alien threat but also that which threatens to separate them and prevent them from forming a team.

3. Set-Up It should be noted that much of the Set-up for this film has occurred during the previous Marvel movies for the individual superheroes. In Iron Man and Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, and Captain America: The First Avenger, we learn about their journeys and abilities, and a fair amount of groundwork has been laid. During the Set-up for this film, the basic information we need to know is established. We get our first true glimpse at the cause of the conflict: the Tesseract. It has begun “behaving” on its own, turning itself on when it should not. As Nick Fury descends into the lower levels of the secret complex, we meet several of the main characters. A scientist, Dr. Erik Selvig, has been studying the Tesseract and is not sure why it is acting that way. Agent Clint “Hawkeye” Barton, an expert with arrows, notes that the Tesseract is being studied because it is an energy source that can open a doorway into space… and that doors open from both sides. This is made evident when we see a beam of light shoot from the Tesseract, opening a portal and illuminating the figure of Loki, the banished Norse god. Loki quickly makes his intentions known to steal the Tesseract. Using his scepter, he takes control of the minds of several S.H.I.E.L.D. personnel, including Hawkeye and Dr. Selvig. During his escape, the unstable energy from the Tesseract portal collapses on itself, causing the ground beneath the base to collapse. Despite his efforts, Nick Fury is unable to stop Loki and retrieve the Tesseract.

4. Catalyst After speaking to the World Security Council, Nick Fury decides to take it upon himself to re-activate the Avengers Initiative. While Loki’s theft of the Tesseract is clearly a catalyst that propels the story forward, the bigger story at hand is the formation of the Avengers as a superhero team to stop Loki. Fury’s decision will affect the lives of all of our heroes, as well as our planet itself.

5. Debate During the Debate, we are left to wonder if the heroes Nick Fury has sought out will come together to help stop Loki. We are introduced to Agent Natasha Romanoff, also known as the Black Widow. Agent Romanoff seeks out the elusive Dr. Bruce Banner, an expert in Gamma radiation (and also a victim of it). While he wants to be left alone, he agrees to help in the effort. Agent Coulson seeks out Tony Stark, but Stark does not want to be a part of the situation. He has just made Stark Towers a beacon of self-sustaining green energy using the Arc Reactor as a power source. However, at the prompting of Pepper Potts, Stark agrees to read over the information Coulson provides. After speaking with the World Security Council about locating Loki’s brother Thor, Nick Fury visits Steve Rogers, who is still adjusting to the modern world after being unfrozen and revived. His flashbacks show his anger and confusion, and when Nick Fury tells him the Tesseract has been stolen, Rogers knows all too well that he must step in and aid Fury in this effort. He’s seen the power of the Tesseract in action before. Meanwhile, S.H.I.E.L.D. has no idea where Loki is or how much time they have left before whatever he has planned will be unleashed.

6. Break into Two Nick Fury’s plan to assemble the heroes begins to take shape. He boards the S.H.I.E.L.D. helicarrier with Dr. Banner, Romanoff, and Rogers. The Avengers are beginning to form. The heroes are now stepping into the upside-down world where they will have to work together.

7. B Story While there are many smaller stories within each character arc, the B Story in this movie is the story of friendship between the heroes and their struggle to work together, to trust each other, and to become a team that will fight as one. The B Story will completely meet the A Story (stopping Loki and saving the world) by the Break Into Three.

8. Fun & Games Now that the search is on for Loki, the story reveals some of the team dynamics as well as some of the inner-workings of S.H.I.E.L.D. They locate Loki in Germany as he and his team steal some iridium, an element that will stabilize the Tesseract’s energy and will keep the portal open. Unable to resist the ability to subjugate the crowd, Loki transforms and wears his helmet and armor. Demanding that they kneel, he is surprised when one lone elderly German man refuses. As Loki is about to kill the man, Captain America arrives and stops him. Romanoff and Iron Man also arrive, capturing Loki. On the flight back to the S.H.I.E.L.D. helicarrier, a lightning storm reveals that Thor has arrived. He demands that Loki be remanded to him as a prisoner of Asgard, and disappears with Loki to the forest below. Iron Man goes after him, and the two begin to fight over Loki. Captain America steps in to stop the fight, and they take Loki prisoner together. On board the helicarrier again, the team tries to determine where the Tesseract is and what Loki’s plan may be. Team dynamics are tested as Stark shows his admiration for Dr. Banner while jokingly trying to set him off to see the Hulk manifest. Stark also hacks into the computer system and finds some questionable plans that S.H.I.E.L.D. has: to use the powers of the Tesseract in making weapons.

9. Midpoint During the Midpoint, we see the crossing of the A and B Stories as the pace quickens. Romanoff tricks Loki into revealing his plan, which is to “activate” the Hulk to bring down the helicarrier and help him escape, thus letting him open the portal to let the Chitauri in for the invasion. The “time clock” for the attack is imminent. Also, the team suffers a false defeat as they threaten to be torn apart. Confronting Nick Fury about the secret weapons, the team gets into an argument, hurling accusations and insults at each other. As Dr. Banner says, “We’re not a team… we’re a time bomb.” And that time bomb is just about to go off.

10. Bad Guys Close In Clint “Hawkeye” Barton returns and destroys one of the helicarrier’s engines. He and his team also hack into the computer, releasing Loki from the cell that was meant to contain the Hulk if needed. During the attack, Dr. Banner transforms into the Hulk and tears up the helicarrier. Thor fights with him, and Iron Man and Captain America try to get the engine working again while holding back enemy forces. Romanoff fights Barton, and Fury attempts to prevent a total disaster in the control room. Eventually, Hulk leaps off the carrier onto a damaged plane, and Thor is tricked into being sealed inside the cell that once held Loki. Loki releases the cell, dropping it 30,000 feet to the ground below. Iron Man is able to get the engine back online, but not without cost.

11. All Is Lost Agent Coulson confronts Loki and is stabbed by his spear. Loki escapes, the team is split up, and the helicarrier is heavily damaged. All is lost for the team as they realize the impossibility of learning of Loki’s plan and how to stop him. Nick Fury finds Agent Coulson, who soon dies while saying that he was okay with it because the heroes needed something to prompt them into action. The “whiff of death” is in the air.

12. Dark Night of the Soul The team is now split up. As Tony Stark and Steve Rogers sit together, defeated, Nick Fury tosses blood-stained, vintage Captain America trading cards onto the table. They belonged to Agent Coulson, the one who never gave up believing in heroes. After Fury leaves, Rogers and Stark argue what to do next. The theme breaks through loud and clear as Stark shuns the idea that they are soldiers. Suddenly, they realize what Loki will do next, and where his portal will get its energy source from: Stark Tower.

13. Break into Three The heroes make a decision. Iron Man and Captain America, along with Black Widow and Hawkeye, head to Manhattan to try and stop Loki. Thor has escaped plummeting to his death and seeks to join them, while Dr. Banner recovers from his fall thanks to his transformation as the Hulk. Stark confronts Loki in Stark Tower, telling him about the Avengers. The theme of the struggle being a war comes full circle in what Stark tells Loki: “Maybe your army comes and maybe it’s too much for us, but it’s all on you. Because if we can’t protect the Earth, you can be damned well sure we’ll avenge it!” The A Story and the B Story completely meet: the heroes will save the world, and they will become a team to do so.

14. Finale Gathering the Team: The heroes converge on the streets of Manhattan and plan to hold off the army as long as possible while trying to find a way to close the portal. Iron Man will take to the skies, while the others will protect the civilians on the street. Thor will deal with Loki and try to speak some sense into him while they wait for Dr. Banner to arrive. The invasion has begun. Storming the Castle: The Avengers fight the Chitauri on land and in the air. The battle rages and they are outnumbered. Dr. Banner arrives, using his anger to turn into the Hulk and provide some much-needed muscle. Combined and working as a team, the Avengers are able to hold their own, but they need to find a way to close the portal. Black Widow is able to make it to the top of Stark Tower on a Chitauri glider, and finds out Dr. Selvig knows of a way to close the portal and end this battle… High-Tower Surprise: …but the World Security Council wants to end it on their own terms, by striking the island of Manhattan with a nuclear bomb. Nick Fury tries to convince them to let the Avengers fight the Chitauri off, but despite his efforts, a plane with a nuclear bomb heads toward the city. “Dig, Deep Down”: Iron Man, aware of the situation, takes it upon himself to stop this from happening. Grabbing hold of the bomb, he takes it toward the portal to send it to the Chitauri ship. He knows it’s a one-way ticket, but he is willing to sacrifice everything to protect mankind in this war. The team member who was the most selfish one is willing to give up his own life to save others. Executing the New Plan: Iron Man sends the bomb into the portal, and as it detonates, he falls back to Earth, making it through the portal just in time before Black Widow closes it completely. The Avengers re-capture Loki and hand over the Tesseract to Thor. Earth is saved.

15. Final Image Nick Fury tells Agent Hill that the Avengers will go their separate ways, but they will come back if they are needed. Proof of this is seen in the final image: as the camera zooms out from Tony Stark and Pepper Potts in Stark Tower, the only letter in “STARK” that is still illuminated after the battle is the only one that will matter: the “A.”

Guardians of the GALAXY

1. Opening Image:
Sitting alone outside a hospital room, a young Peter Quill (Chris Pratt) listens to a cassette tape labeled “Awesome Mix Vol. 1.” He is lost in the music as his grandfather comes out to get him.

2. Theme Stated: Peter is led into the room of his dying mother to say goodbye to her. It is here that we have a brief “Save the Cat” moment; Peter’s mother asks about his black eye, and he tells her that some kids “squished a frog and killed it for no reason.” This shows that deep down, Peter Quill is a protector, even though he might not realize it until later.

His mother hands him a final gift while reassuring him that she will be okay as she goes to a better place. Peter, she says, reminds her of his father, an angel from the stars. She tells Peter that his father will come to get him one day soon and admonishes him to hold her hand as she passes.

Peter is afraid to and holds back, refusing to take her hand. As the life leaves his mother, he becomes despondent, crying out and rushing out of the room, taking only his backpack with him.

Having courage to trust others will be what Peter needs to learn in his quest. Only by doing so will he be able to conquer the greatest threat the galaxy knows.

3. Set-Up: As Peter hurries outside the hospital, a brilliant beam of light shines on him, beaming him into the craft above as he is taken from this planet.

Twenty-six years later, Peter Quill is on the planet Morag searching for a valuable orb. In aRaiders of the Lost Ark-esque moment, Quill obtains the orb, which he hopes to sell to an interested buyer. He is confronted by Korath, a servant of Ronan the Accuser. With others desiring to obtain this object, Quill knows it must be worth quite a lot, and he escapes Korath and returns to his ship, the Milano.

On the ship, Peter communicates with his partner/mentor, Yondu, about the orb. However, instead of sharing it with Yondu, he betrays him to collect the money all for himself.

The planet Xandar has signed a peace treaty with the Kree race, but there are still those who do not agree with the treaty. Ronan the Accuser is a Kree zealot who will use whatever violence he can to demonstrate Kree power and dominance. When Korath reports that Quill has the orb, Ronan turns to the adoped daughters of Thanos to retrieve it. He asks Nebula to obtain it, but before she can go, Gamora (Zoe Saldana) volunteers.

4. Catalyst: Quill tries to sell the orb to his buyer on Xandar, but when he reveals that one of Ronan’s servants was also after it, the buyer wants no part in the deal, pushing Quill out. Gamora meets him outside, then steals the orb from him.

5. Debate: A fight breaks out between Quill and Gamora as each takes possession of the orb in turn. Meanwhile, Rocket (voice: Bradley Cooper), a genetically-engineered raccoon, and Groot (voice: Vin Diesel), a tree creature and Rocket’s companion, learn about the bounty on Quill. As Quill fights Gamora, Rocket and Groot join in the fight, too. They continually best each other until the Nova police force arrests them all.

After the Nova arrest, each of them is sent to the Kyln, a space prison. In the prison, Quill and company are out of their element (except for Rocket, who has escaped from prison multiple times). Whereas Peter Quill was once so confident in his abilities that he called himself Star-Lord, in the Kyln he is nothing, threatened by the other prisoners. When he catches one of the Kyln personnel listening to his music, he threatens him but is quickly put in his place. After a shower, he sees Rocket’s back, covered with scars and remnants of experiments.

6. Break into Two: Peter Quill is officially a prisoner in the Kyln, with little hope of escaping.

7. B Story: While at first hating Gamora, Quill starts to develop feelings for her. This is part of the B Story, but the larger B Story will focus on the group as a whole as they come together, learning to trust one another and to show the courage that is necessary to do what is right.

8. Fun & Games: In the prison, Quill notices that Gamora is the focus of many of the prisoners’ attention, but not in a good way. Several of them take her away to kill her, knowing that she is Thanos’s adopted daughter. As many races in the galaxy have lost loved ones due to Thanos’s evil deeds, the prisoners plan to exact their vengeance on her. Quill follows them, as does Rocket, but the plot to kill Gamora is interrupted by another prisoner, Drax (Dave Bautista). Known as Drax the Destroyer, he reveals that he is the only one who has the right to kill Gamora; Ronan killed his wife and daughter, and he wants to return the favor. Gamora reveals that she was planning on betraying Ronan, and that is why she stole the orb, to sell it to another buyer. Quill convinces Drax to let her go, and if they escape, they can split the reward and Drax can have his revenge on Ronan himself.

Meanwhile, Ronan reveals to Thanos that Gamora has betrayed them. Thanos is dismayed, as he considered Gamora his favorite daughter, a fact that upsets Nebula. He orders Ronan to retrieve the orb.
Under Rocket’s leadership, the five enact a plan to escape from the Kyln. Taking control of a guard tower, Rocket flies it out of the prison to where they can board the Milano. Peter Quill briefly goes back in to get his Walkman from the guard and escapes with the others.

9. Midpoint: Having escaped, the five sit aboard Quill’s ship. Their next destination will be the mining colony at Knowhere, the remnants of a severed Celestial head. For now, they are free, they have the orb, and they are about to collect their reward.

10. Bad Guys Close In: On board the ship, the five start arguing. Rocket takes pieces of the ship apart to make devices and finds the unopened present Peter’s mom gave him the day she died. After asking about it, Quill yells at him to leave it alone. No one else seems to get along; Groot is viewed as stupid, only able to say the three words, “I am Groot,” and Drax feels disdain for Gamora.

Arriving on the planet, Drax, Groot, and Rocket go to a bar while Gamora and Quill wait for the buyer to meet them. Quill teaches her about music and how it makes people feel emotions.

Drax, Groot, and Rocket, drunk, get into a fight. When Quill confronts him, Rocket says that he is tired of all the names people call him, that he never asked to be taken apart and experimented on. His tough guy exterior sheds as he reveals his emotions. Drax wanders off as the others go to meet the buyer, an individual known as The Collector.

The Collector reveals that there is an Infinity Stone inside the orb, and proceeds to describe its history and immense power. Quill becomes concerned, knowing that Ronan was in pursuit of it, and possession of this Stone would allow him to destroy the galaxy. One of The Collector’s servants attempts to take hold of the Stone, and it destroys her and the building. Quill and the others escape with the Stone inside the orb, with Quill saying that it needs to be taken to Nova Headquarters where it will be safe.

As they escape, they are confronted by Ronan and Nebula, along with other ships. In his desire for revenge, Drax had summoned Ronan. Gamora attempts to escape in a ship and is pursued by Nebula. Meanwhile, Drax meets his match in Ronan and is bested by him. Nebula pursues Gamora’s ship and shoots it, expelling her and the Infinity Stone from it.

11. All Is Lost: Peter Quill watches as Gamora’s body is hurled into space and Nebula obtains the orb for Ronan. Quill, using his mask, leaves his ship and calls Yondu, who was after him for being double-crossed. It will mean certain death for him, but it will mean death for Gamora and the universe if he does not call. Yondu’s ship arrives and abducts them, saving them.

12. Dark Night of the Soul: Drax admits his pride caused this, and with Rocket and Groot, they confront Yondu on his ship. Quill tells Yondu that he has a plan to get the orb back from Ronan and needs the help of Yondu and his men.
Meanwhile, Ronan confronts Thanos and declares that he will use the Infinity Stone himself, destroying Xandar, and then will destroy Thanos.
When Peter finally has time to speak with the other four companions, he reveals that he only has about “12 percent of a plan.” They know that if they try to stop Ronan, that it will most likely mean certain death for them all. However, he has also realized that they are all a bunch of “losers,” individuals who have lost something in their lives. And right now, they have a chance to do something good. The others agree, with Gamora stating that she has lived most of her life with her enemies, and she would be honored to die amongst her friends.

13. Break into Three: Quill and the others prepare their plan of attack. Alerting Nova Headquarters, they face off against Ronan’s ship, the Dark Astor.

14. Finale: An aerial battle ensues, and with the help of Rocket, Quill boards the Dark Astor with Groot, Drax, and Gamora. Nova ships head off the enemy fighters as Gamora battles Nebula. Drax and Quill confront Ronan on the bridge of the ship, firing a weapon at him that Rocket made. Ronan survives, and while enemy ships dive bomb the city below, Rocket crashes his ship onto the bridge, saving Quill and the others.

The Dark Astor falls to the surface below, and Groot begins to grow a giant cocoon around the other four. Rocket knows that this will mean death for Groot, but Groot is willing to make the sacrifice. After the ship crashes, Quill and the others emerge from the wreckage, surrounded by the shattered remains of Groot’s splintered form. Ronan stands before the people at the scene, laughing at them for looking toward these “Guardians of the Galaxy” and for thinking they could stop him from destroying the planet.

Peter Quill enacts a unique method of distracting Ronan, and it works long enough to allow Drax and Rocket to fire a shot at him, knocking the Infinity Stone from him. Peter grabs it before Ronan can, and just like with The Collector’s servant, it begins to destroy him.

Gamora urges him to take her hand, and Peter recalls his last moments with his mother and how he did not have the courage to do so. This time, he reaches out, joining hands with Gamora. Drax takes his other hand, and Rocket does so, too. Soon, they are able to control the power of the Infinity Stone. They destroy Ronan and emerge victorious.

At Nova Headquarters, Quill learns that he is only half-human, and the fact that he was able to survive the Infinity Stone’s power must mean that his father is also something more powerful and ancient. Rocket boards the ship with a stem from Groot’s remains, and there are signs of renewed life emerging already.

15. Final Image: Inside his ship, Peter reads an old note from his mother in which she calls him “my Star-Lord.” He finally takes hold of the present his mother gave him. Opening it, he finds another cassette tape entitled “Awesome Mix Vol. 2.” He smiles, and whereas at the start of the story he was listening to the first tape in isolation, now he can listen to this one surrounded by his new friends as they take off to protect the galaxy.

Well. For something a little different and a bit brain-damaging, I would wholeheartedly recommend Predestination. I had never heard of it but just finished watching it with friends.

Takes a little while to get going but when it does, wow what a headfuck.

Great movie that went completely under the radar, starring Ethan Hawke which always helps.

If you like time paradox stories, it doesn't get better and stranger than this.

Oh.
You linked to the wrong post (or maybe it's just broken). So I searched for Predestination and I found your post #2911 :)

Now your link is wrong. ;) It seems any link that has a Page# in it is very specific to the posts-per-page that the viewer has.

Though yes, the movie Predestination is quite different than most time-travel movies. A well told tale, even if you manage to figure out certain aspects ahead of time.

Hmmm. My AVR blew whilst I was watching Edge Of Tomorrow - right at the start where there's the deep bass and scratchy noise type soundtrack during the intro. Wonder if this was the cause?

Outch! Yes, the beginning can be quite demanding - very deep bass. If you have a subwoofer that filters out the deep frequencies from the rest of the channels, it shouldn't be an issue. Otherwise, no idea... As far as I know, there's nothing on the audio track that should cause problems from a technical point of view - just lots of LFE/deep frequency stuff... :S

Back