Whitehats Pwn Lizard Squad; Police Arrests Multiple Suspects

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
"Finest Squad", a group of security professionals have been working methodically to dismantle the self-styled internet terrorist group "Lizard Squad", uncovering the identity of several of the individuals involved.

Lizard Squad, the notorious group of online criminals responsible for DDOSing both MS and Sony online gaming networks into uselessness several times in the recent past, as well as posting a bomb threat against a Sony executive while he was onboard an airplane - not unexpectedly perhaps - turned out to consist of script kiddies. One seventeen-year-old Canadian gentleman nabbed by authorities also turned out to have been involved in fake bomb threats called in against a residence and a local school in British Columbia.

Lizard Squad has since indicated that rather than grinching online gaming over the holidays as originally intended, they will instead disband.

Smart choice, wankers! :p

I feel bad for their parents.
Well, yeah. Then again, nothing really new about kids powertripping when they think they're untouchable. Assuming they can pin the bomb threat on anyone (which might be difficult), that would potentially be years of jailtime, but, white middleclass kid, no prior convictions - or so I assume. Plea bargain, probation I'd think. Sinking XBL and PSN, that's potentially $€millions in damages however and then they apparantly screwed with other services as well. Civil suits would be harder to shake, and multinational corporations likely have less compassion than state prosecutors. ;)

Maybe. I am still naive enough to think that parents are always partly responsible for the actions of their children. Perhaps I will change my mind when my kid gets older ... ;)
I agree they are partly responsible. Despite that, if a child for whatever reason or reasons ends up not a good example, the parent would feel terrible. Whether it is or not his fault

XBL and PSN out at the same time needs some MAJOR bandwidth. I dont they ever disabled XBL logins this much

Prolexic DDOS protection dosent seem to be able to filter trash traffic for Sony or it takes hours before they do

XBL and PSN out at the same time needs some MAJOR bandwidth. I dont they ever disabled XBL logins this much

Prolexic DDOS protection dosent seem to be able to filter trash traffic for Sony or it takes hours before they do

Today on Christmas, the other hacker group Anonymous targetted lizardsquad to stop their DDOS attacks against PSN and XBLive.

They still took both services out. They said they would and did so kudos to them. Yes, Yes, I know people get all bent out of shape when it comes to ddos'ers/hackers but they are unfortunately a necessary evil to remind people how fragile the infrastructure they use every day is.

Yeah I don't know what amp vector they are using atm but obviously its pretty powerful for a 1-2 punch.

They still took both services out. They said they would and did so kudos to them. Yes, Yes, I know people get all bent out of shape when it comes to ddos'ers/hackers but they are unfortunately a necessary evil to remind people how fragile the infrastructure they use every day is.

Yeah I don't know what amp vector they are using atm but obviously its pretty powerful for a 1-2 punch.

I really don't agree with this attitude at all. The building blocks of society are fragile and most of it depends on people following common rules...there is nothing to demonstrate.

Lizardsquad is as criminal as every other law breaker out there...or do you also think that other law breakers show how fragile everything is?

Windows are fragile, too. Should we be praising jackasses that throw bricks through windows "to remind people how fragile" they are?

or other group annouched themselves as lizard squad.

but whatever, PSN is back online and im stuck on FF XIV because it UPDATE 4GB inside the game lol. square enix oh you...

Bollocks, quite frankly. Things don't have to be robust to use them and for them to be useful. Take away the hackers' DOS attacks and the infrastructure is perfectly fine day to day. It's only fragile when abused, like pretty much everything. "Necessary evils" solve problems, serious problems that need to be solved and can't be solved by some 'good' solution, such as locking down a town and burning it to stop the zombie apocalypse from spreading. Reminding people can be done with a leaflet campaign or a TV advert or a funny YouTube video. A reminder never needs a necessary evil!

God forbid you ever become (or are) a politician. You'd be one of those Hollywood power-fanatics who arms the insurgents so they can blow people up, reminding society there is a threat and getting them to vote for your heavy-handed security measures to defend them (from the insurgents you equip to manufacture the problem). "This peace is an illusion! Society is weak! We need some mad bombers to blow people up and remind them how weak they are. (Arms nuclear device) What I'm doing is for their own good. It's collateral damage. It's a necessary evil. We need evils like this to protect against the bigger evils, the real threats, the people who would blow us up but aren't doing so at the moment but they will one day and we need to be ready for them by blowing ourselves up a little bit to prepare for when they're blowing us up for real. You'll thank me later!!"

But why are they doing it? Is it to prove the infrastructure is fragile? If so then they have done that, what next? To me it feels like immature teenagers doing dumb things teenagers sometimes do. And of course you can be much older and still do dumb stuff :)

Imagine a cloud based console world, I am happy to have only one digital version of a game. Garden Warfare because if I can't play because of stupid script kiddies...

Last edited:
It's been a piss poor holiday so far. I've had to work everyday mitigating the impact these DoS attacks have been having on our infrastructure, connection limiting IP's and blocking IP's hundreds at a time (not a fun job with iptables...). The most intense vector I have seen so far is a proxy script that comes with a Google Maps plugin for Joomla (and I guess the same is true for Drupal, WP etc versions), which allows the outside world to pass a connection request via GET (madness) and is a perfect platform for a remote DoS attack. I hate DoS attacks, there is very little you can do to stop their impact without severely impacting legitimate traffic, and I really feel for those poor sysadmins having to work 24/7 because some pubeless dreg has figured out how to use LOIC. It's not just the targets that suffer but all the servers in between get drowned too. I am now tracking a couple of IP's that seem to be originating points and I will have my revenge!

Back