Destiny [PS3,X360,PS4,XO]

Rangers,
Do you think Another NiTC is better than the Badger CCL scout rifle? Badger looks like it has higher impact, but lower ROF.

Are you in the US, by the way? I always assumed you were but you seem to post very early in the morning where I am (California).

By the way, does the CE raid drop weapons at any chest/checkpoint before defeating Scrota? My first run through yielded nothing but energy until we defeated Scrota. I thought CE was supposed to drop stuff more frequently than VoG. I hope it does because CE is pretty damn difficult at times, more so than VoG I think so far.

Last edited:
Yeah the chest drop exotic stuff. I got universal remote from first chest.

Btw my CE run is never hard but I keep getting junks lately. And I keep getting wrong raid gear (already have maxxed new-gen wolf body armor but I got crota body armor)

My raid arms and boots are maxed... still waiting on that chest piece, and only need 17 radiant shards to fully level up the chest piece (or 5 shards if I exchange all of my radiant energy for shards).

Regarding the Crota cheese, it's easy to do on PS4 as well. All you have to do is have the fireteam leader disconnect from the internet as soon as Crota goes down. The easiest way to do this is to go to your settings -> network -> un-check 'connect to the internet'.

Because you can cheese the whole raid, I was able to be carried through the whole thing on my level 28 titan. I'm very tempted to create a third warlock to increase my chances of getting gear. If I don't get the chest piece next week, I'm deleting my Titan and doing just that. But ugh, that grind to level up another character to 20... not looking forward to that. Hopefully I just get the chest piece next week. Or helmet I guess... I can wait on getting an exotic chest piece if I get the sweet raid helmet.

Last edited:
About that Cheese thing, since several of the bosses can be cheesed and even in the raid, i wonder how hard that game was really supposed to be?

Nexus is a walk in the park, the Priest is semi easy as well, Tarus, sure lets cheese him, Phogoth, easy, even Omnigul is cheeseable.

And it is not just the players finding a way to handle, it's mobs that simply can't reach you..

In some cases, it's probably a good thing that there are "safe" zones, otherwise you would never pass those areas.

Anyway, regarding Scrota, I assume the sword works the same as the regular game - RT heavy attack, RB light attack, jump + RT really heavy attack? Do people try to use the jump attack, or just mash the RT on him? I might try the sword on my next run and I want to know what to do.

Edit:
I just watched a video of the Scrota encounter where the team worked from the bottom. I can see how that is a much better option, especially when the hard mode drops. On my first (and only) clear, we worked the left side. It seemed to work ok, but I'm thinking we got lucky.

Last edited:
In some cases, it's probably a good thing that there are "safe" zones, otherwise you would never pass those areas.

The safe areas should be between encounters, not fail proof areas that you just need to locate in order to beat the bosses in hard mode. Omnigul, get to the back of the room, there is a small room above the ground, 2 men can stand there, one is a dedicated reser, the other provides DPS for the boss, not a single mob can reach you. Nexus, 2 jumps and you are above every mob, DPS the boss until it dies. The priest had it's cheese spot, the one left is not as easy, but again, the idea is to get above the mobs, and cycle with a location that is impossible to reach for mobs. Tarus, stand behind crates, mobs cant reach you. Phogoth, stay in the entrance room, DPS the boss via a very small window. Bungie knows about the last one, they made a shriker appear if you stand in the original cheese room. And again, not a single mob will get to you. The biggest challenge is usually Ammo runs because not everyone has a IceBreaker.

At some places i think it's a flaw in the way they made the game, it is like some zones a mob free because they serve as a link between the different parts of the map that is loaded in, oh well it is a PS3/360 game afterall :)

Well, I personally don't have a problem with "cheese" spots. I don't really care for punishingly difficult encounters. I'm not a teenager anymore. I like to enjoy my game time. I don't want frustration.

Beat Scrota with my lvl 30 Titan last night. It was much, much more difficult than the first time with my Warlock. Part of it was my lack of experience, part of it my lack of good weapons, and part of it was the lack of team cohesion. We worked the bottom hallway (where you first enter) and, while this is a much safer spot for the team, it seems much harder for the sword guy, especially when Scrota doesn't stay in the middle. What are peoples' strats for this? Do you wait until Scrota comes back to the center before killing the Sword Bearer? It's also hard to put enough damage on Scrota from down below when he runs to the sides. Hard mode is gonna be impossible for us scrubs.

If Bungie is relying on the raids to keep their customer base, I think they are in trouble. I can't imagine the casual player sticking around for this.

Last edited:
We worked the bottom hallway (where you first enter) and, while this is a much safer spot for the team, it seems much harder for the sword guy, especially when Scrota doesn't stay in the middle. What are peoples' strats for this? Do you wait until Scrota comes back to the center before killing the Sword Bearer? It's also hard to put enough damage on Scrota from down below when he runs to the sides. Hard mode is gonna be impossible for us scrubs.

Because of when the second sword beared spawns, it is incredibly difficult to actually get a hit on Crota while he is on the right side. Our group didn't bother to wait, we just burned the sword bearer down slowly until Crota started moving then dropped the sword bearer. By the time our sword guy had the sword and was in place, Crota was fully back to center.

Left you never need to worry about because it is always Ogres, and so he'll be back to center anyway.

You can kill Crota in 2 sword runs with a level 31 (which would be before first Ogres). You get a total of 5 center positions before enrage. So there is quite a bit of wiggle room. Don't get greedy and don't worry too much about him when he is on one of the sides and you should be fine.

Last edited:
Is the enrage based on time, number of Sword Bearer spawns, or the number of times he returns to center? Do we have time to wait until he returns to center? There was some disagreement on the team about that last night.

Last edited:
it's still damn near verty difficult to say, solo a nightfall.

I think the game is pretty hardf.
The safe areas should be between encounters, not fail proof areas that you just need to locate in order to beat the bosses in hard mode. Omnigul, get to the back of the room, there is a small room above the ground, 2 men can stand there, one is a dedicated reser, the other provides DPS for the boss, not a single mob can reach you. Nexus, 2 jumps and you are above every mob, DPS the boss until it dies. The priest had it's cheese spot, the one left is not as easy, but again, the idea is to get above the mobs, and cycle with a location that is impossible to reach for mobs. Tarus, stand behind crates, mobs cant reach you. Phogoth, stay in the entrance room, DPS the boss via a very small window. Bungie knows about the last one, they made a shriker appear if you stand in the original cheese room. And again, not a single mob will get to you. The biggest challenge is usually Ammo runs because not everyone has a IceBreaker.

At some places i think it's a flaw in the way they made the game, it is like some zones a mob free because they serve as a link between the different parts of the map that is loaded in, oh well it is a PS3/360 game afterall :)

Well, something like a nightfall strike (with burn) solo is ridiculously hard, regardless of cheese spots (which basically only apply to bosses). Things only get (sort of) easy if you group up. But yes, it's rare to die even in a nightfall with more than one player. The ability to res each other is just too OP. But worth noting, they specifically dumbed down group difficulty in that patch.

The Raid is definitely challenging if you play it legit. And the Crota cheese is not a safe spot, and I'm not aware of many safe spots in Crota's End. The cheeses are more like exploits, often of the Warlock's self res, which must be causing Bungie problems with all it's bug causing abilities.

So yeah, the difficulty is a vast gulf between group and solo. I rarely die (meaning the whole party) in a group, but solo is difficult in nightfall and now even weekly or daily at times, regardless of cheese. So if you want a challenge, simply go solo.

It's also gotten more difficult with recent patches and expansion. I used to solo all (except raid of course). Nightfall's were very difficult but doable. Now it's basically nightfall's impossible to solo, and even weekly's are borderline, and I even got stuck on a daily 30 last week. Of course some depends on how much time you feel like spending on any task.

Also I'm still skeptical of your nexus cheese spot. Those spots do not protect you from all damage, when I have tried them. Have you tried actually using this spot to solo it at a 30 or above or in a nightfall? I dont think it would work. Besides that if you dont get there the first time you are dead.

Difficulty, you can look at it another way, the bosses are overpowered, thus you cant really fight them legitimately at highest levels of difficulty.
Is this a flaw? I dont know.

The whole game's difficulty is an interesting question, part of me would like all game content to be easy if you max out your level and weapons all the way, in other words grind your way to the top, and then the game is your playground. Then of course the next expansion would make things difficult again in this scenario, until you master it as well. It's not really that way, some things are always still tough even if you were 32 with all the best 331 weapons. I guess they want there to always be a challenge, otherwise you would risk players getting bored. It's a catch 22 in that way.

Last edited:
Rangers,
Do you think Another NiTC is better than the Badger CCL scout rifle? Badger looks like it has higher impact, but lower ROF.

I really have no idea since I have not tried either. My gut says NITC though, mainly because it has a bigger magazine, and I think it's stats are also similar to VoC.

And yeah, I guess it's obvious how they balance out the various weapons, especially within the same class. If you get more impact you just give up rate of fire, and vice versa.

Have been playing with Pulse and Auto Rifles till now. While playing the heroic last night I suddenly realised that Hand Cannons are freaking effective. My Atheon's Epilogue was nothing compared to the Blue Hand Cannon with which I blasted the very fallen easily which were giving me hella trouble with my Atheon !
Wtf, A blue ! Now, the quest for a Legendary Hand Cannon Begins !

Oh yeah. I personally have a pretty negative view of Epilogue. It's pretty trash imo.

It seems Hand Cannons and Scout Rifles are the most effective, and I have a suspicion Cannons are probably THE best. I just prefer scout rifles as far as play style.

I still use my 300 VoC and 300 Fatebringer the most as dependable primaries even in Dark Below so far. They're fairly interchangeable but imo those are the top two.

Probably a 331 scout with similar stats to VoC AND Field Scout AND solar damage will be needed to finally retire VoC.

And I'm not alone, I still see mostly VoC used by other players in Crotas End.

Last edited:
Is the enrage based on time, number of Sword Bearer spawns, or the number of times he returns to center? Do we have time to wait until he returns to center? There was some disagreement on the team about that last night.

It's based on time, when you leave the spawn area (including the left and right wing) to be exact.
Crota's movement is also based on time.

He starts moving to right/left/center based on time, so you have to kill the swordbearer ASAP so he doesn't start to move and screw up your second wave.

Oh yeah. I personally have a pretty negative view of Epilogue. It's pretty trash imo.

It seems Hand Cannons and Scout Rifles are the most effective, and I have a suspicion Cannons are probably THE best. I just prefer scout rifles as far as play style.

I still use my 300 VoC and 300 Fatebringer the most as dependable primaries even in Dark Below so far. They're fairly interchangeable but imo those are the top two.

Probably a 331 scout with similar stats to VoC AND Field Scout AND solar damage will be needed to finally retire VoC.

HCs and Scout rifles suffer a penalty when attacking Majors and Ultras (HCs suffer the most), just keep that in mind

Yeah, I had read that. It doesn't seem to cut into their effectiveness though. Hand Cannons and Scouts still seem the most effective taking down heavies regardless.

Hell that is their major advantage. Pulses and AR's are fine against trash, it's against the big stuff they lack punch and start to become problematic...

IMO AR's need at least a slight buff in PVE. Because I like playing with them the best, but they currently aren't top tier, at least any I use. Probably a case where balancing for PVP screwed PVE balance over :(

I see a lot of people using Suros in CE, but I think that's just because of it's health regeneration being useful against Crota's presence, not overall effectiveness.

Datto has a vendor weapons overview...

Looks like the good Hand Cannon is Crucible :/ That one would be a no brainer except I dont do crucible.

I still dont see why you'd get the vendor scouts if you have VoC. To me elemental and field scout likely easily cancel the 331 vs 300 difference...

If I get one now I might go for that Badger. At least it's different to VoC in style (high impact less mag capacity). But I'll probably wait to see if I get a good nightfall or vanguard level up loot drop primary this week first. Since I know I cant get a primary in the raid that really limits options. However hard mode raid isn't too far away.

Last edited:
I bought the Badger CCL from the Vanguard Q-master. It's legit. Hits hard and the "luck in the chamber" perk is actually useful with a small mag. I just unlocked the "flared magwell" perk, so the shallow mag isn't really a problem, especially if your armor has a speed reload perk for scouts. It's gonna be my workhorse primary.

Also I'm still skeptical of your nexus cheese spot. Those spots do not protect you from all damage, when I have tried them. Have you tried actually using this spot to solo it at a 30 or above or in a nightfall? I dont think it would work. Besides that if you dont get there the first time you are dead.

There is damage from the boss and sometimes from the mobs, but it works.
Doesn't the difficulty adjust to the number of people in a group?

I bought the Badger CCL from the Vanguard Q-master. It's legit. Hits hard and the "luck in the chamber" perk is actually useful with a small mag. I just unlocked the "flared magwell" perk, so the shallow mag isn't really a problem, especially if your armor has a speed reload perk for scouts. It's gonna be my workhorse primary.

Yeah I bought it a few hours ago too based partly on your points. It is pretty good, and like you it's my new workhorse for now. My first "real" 331 primary.

It hits harder at 272 than VoC does at 300.

There is damage from the boss and sometimes from the mobs, but it works.
Doesn't the difficulty adjust to the number of people in a group?

That type of splash damage tends to be a killer in nightfalls with a burn...that is what I mean about those locations

Difficulty supposedly adjust but it is nothing close to equal between solo and group. Solo is about 10X harder.

Recently they patched to make group easier too, because they said they wanted strikes to be social and too many people did not want to group because the nightfall were too hard in a group. I dunno, back then I still thought solo was way harder, but whatever, now it's even more so.

Back