Halo 5: Guardians [XO]

General gameplay flow looks ok.

Assault Rifle that's useful! :p *shrug*

---

hm... looks like they've got some sort of AO going on, even with the first person view weapon. Doesn't seem to be SSAO, though the radius could use some tweaking...
PjSzF7c.jpg

6sdooED.jpg

---

Multiple shadow casters?
BHJQhSI.jpg

----

The lower res sure isn't kind to specular/shader aliasing.

Last edited:
The pre-beta is out. Here's a random vid.

I really like these graphics. Even on drab purple levels where it's hard to impress graphically.

Just take these gfx and extrapolate them, surely it will be a notch up for more colorful levels, then notch it up again in single player, it will look stupendous.

Just get these to at least 1440X1080 ish Bungie, and I'll be happy.

Looks very nice. I'm loving the sound effects, especially for the pistol.

Anyone here get a chance to play some of the beta? How does the gameplay feel? I was watching a whole bunch of streams and the game does not look that bad gameplay wise. Probably one of the negatives that stood out is that the AR looks a bit too powerful. I cannot wait to play it myself on the 29th. TMCC is not as broken as it was at launch so I will continue to play that till then.

I hope DF got their hands on the beta because I would really like a technical analysis of the game. Gamersyde has some amazing quality footage if anyone is interested.

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_our_videos_of_the_halo_5_beta-16148_en.html

Watched the gamersyde vids, graphically honestly if it has Halo 4 written on it I would believe it in a heart beat. For a casual Halo player like me I'd rather see more from the SP but man hope there's a 30fps/900p/1080pr mode for the SP at least.

I assume they're being extremely careful on the CPU/geometry side, so if they're hitting 60fps in SP, It should be pretty straightforward to double the framebuffer size with a 30fps target, assuming everything fits within the scratchpad. That said, we have no way of knowing how the SP runs or what they plan to do with larger encounters.

Right now they could probably do it for the MP maps they've shown so far (1280x720@60 -> 1704x1080@30), but 60fps is more important there. For all we know they could be undershooting by a ton, like Killer Instinct, but then again we haven't seen BTB, other planned modes, and other maps.

I'd rather they change res for each map if it's required due to the varying map designs. Targeting 60fps for the big maps... well, I would find it strange not to have a higher res for corridor maps. (Not too big a fan of dynamic res due to the frame delay & qwerky decision-making algorithms)

Watched the gamersyde vids, graphically honestly if it has Halo 4 written on it I would believe it in a heart beat.

Yeah, their art direction and baking solution are probably responsible for most of the look. They certainly still have specular aliasing issues like Halo 4. On the other hand, it's pretty apparent they've got more dynamic lights, some sort of HBAO & SSR added to the mix.

Doesn't look like they have a complex PBR pipeline yet either, but all in all I'm tipping a 900p final res just like COD AW on Xbone, unless some levels are exceedingly big in Halo 5 for which they have to stick to a lower res. I reckon a 30/60fps mode is a better suit than targeting individual levels since I like a sense of uniformity and visual coherence.

I reckon a 30/60fps mode is a better suit than targeting individual levels since I like a sense of uniformity and visual coherence.

30fps mode for MP would be somewhat poor next to 60fps. I would only consider a 30fps option for an SP.

I wonder how 60Hz will impact the typical Halo gameplay...I just hope they make a good and substantial SP campaign...I love the Halo campaigns...a big ass boss battle would be neat...combined with Halo Reach plasma effects and Halo 4 graphics...count me in!

I wonder how 60Hz will impact the typical Halo gameplay...I just hope they make a good and substantial SP campaign...I love the Halo campaigns...a big ass boss battle would be neat...combined with Halo Reach plasma effects and Halo 4 graphics...count me in!

I'm hoping to see a redux on the scarab to make it a much more devestating platform/mobile fortress, but that's probably fantasy territory. I'm kind of thinking along the lines of a Deep Space 9 station (not quite that large, of course).
  • Real scarabs have 6 legs. Leverage the additional legs for mobility and resistance to falling down
  • destroyable turrets on the legs
  • hand-holds on the legs so players can choose to climb up vs using vehicles
  • energy shields... Shields go down when firing the main cannon, just like their space ships in canon. Allow vehicle firepower to take them down temporarily, but have it so that the player can destroy a shield generator.
  • better protected core - the H3 version was kind of too wide open once you got on-board. It should now be hardened against super soldiers instead
  • back-up cores - destroy 3 objectives in 3 separate spots once on-board.
Halo has so many vehicles and weapons. Make use of them.

-----
edit: Hell, why not add a bat-grapple ability for Chief to latch onto a nearby aircraft while it makes the rounds near the scarab. :p Take down the shields with a ground vehicle, grapple quickly onto a pelican/hornet/falcon, drop off onto the scarab. Grapple back to escape from scarab (make it a little easier than Halo 3 for the scripted AI to come pick you up).

Or... grapple onto the leg to climb up.

If we're going to fight the Flood again, I sure wouldn't mind them taking inspiration from Dead Space for large bosses as well.

-----

Didact was a missed opportunity to take him down in stages e.g. disable his flying, disable his telekinesis, fight him on the ground, and finish him off with some old-school Regret-punching to the head.
ODPWhTp.gif

Last edited:
AI, you do realize that

for a large part of the game you will probably not be playing as Chief, but Agent Locke instead

right?

Back