Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Few seconds in, turns out the PS4 version had an unlocked framerate, why is this the first we've heard of this DF???

Seems almost bearable now, will probably pick this up when it hits the bargain bins in January.

Interesting to note that at the end of the video when walking through the big crowd the PS4 maintains 30 fps while the xbox one doesn't, so it seems the CPU advantage is not in play here.

As I originally thought, the problems seem to be down to the majority of 'crunch time' happening on the xbox one (as yiou would expect with the deal in place between UBI and MS), hence why it was clearly the best version.

I wonder if this game doesn't use PS4s GNM but the other more DX like API (the name I have forgotten though - quick google later it's GNMX)

Last edited:
Few seconds in, turns out the PS4 version had an unlocked framerate, why is this the first we've heard of this DF???

Because DF never tested the unpatched version that shipped on BluRay. The first version they tested was the 1.01 version (day one patch).

(I've just updated all this on www.techingames.net ... )

Interesting to note that at the end of the video when walking through the big crowd the PS4 maintains 30 fps while the xbox one doesn't, so it seems the CPU advantage is not in play here.

I think that was always just a fanboy argument. The game was not finished on either platform and the version which got a little more TLC would always come out ahead when starting from a mess.

After looking at the video... why didn't UBI just leave the PS4 ACU edition framerate unlocked? Or give the option on doing so. Sure the latest update seems better - but wouldn't those improvements allowed for even higher uncapped frames? It just seems the PS4 edition (system) has more headroom for higher frames (unlocked) or a higher resolution.

Funny though, DF didn't test ACU unpatched... they have done upatched testing in the past. Oh, well..

I think that was always just a fanboy argument. The game was not finished on either platform and the version which got a little more TLC would always come out ahead when starting from a mess.

That was digital foundry argument... well "suggestion" as they wrote several times in their article.

I still remember well their watch_dogs article when they suggested (twice) that some additional polish on the PS4 version could explain the Sony performance advantage.

There is a serious lack of consistency.

Isn't ACU at patch 4 now? You guys seriously expect them test every single one, in the holiday season where there are plenty of other games too?

The reasonable approach would be to wait for the final patch, but do it as soon as possible.

You guys seriously expect them test every single one

No. But they have tested unpatched, compared to day-1 patch in the past. But still, having your day-1 patch limit the PS4 ACU framerate seems weird... just to have it perform worst afterwards. :/

They tested patch 3. There's a good chance they will test patch 4. NX gamer beat them to it this time though, showing good improvements and ... Parity, as promised by Ubisoft. ;)

And the cat's out of the bag already. You guys have one problem with these DF articles, they're not trying to show the PS4 in the best possible way.

Please keep that bias at bay here.

Why do rebuttals or non-agreement(s) on a subject always get boiled down to console warrior nonsense? I’m just stating fact… the day-1 patch didn’t improve anything (specifically the PS4) – which is visible in the video posted on the last page. You would think DF would have pointed that out… but, whatever.

Why do rebuttals or non-agreement(s) on a subject always get boiled down to console warrior nonsense? I’m just stating fact… the day-1 patch didn’t improve anything (specifically the PS4) – which is visible in the video posted on the last page. You would think DF would have pointed that out… but, whatever.

Because it's the truth. I don't know much about the console scene, but after reading the last few pages and some articles I'm pretty confident that there is no conspiracy going on at DF, just some unhappy console fans. :D

Anyways if you truly believe there's foul play going on at DF, I suggest creating a separate thread about it.

Generally says that apart from games being better looking there's nothing gameplay wise that's "next-gen" so to speak and that compute could greatly help out, one it's fully utilised. They provide a summary of their platform comparisons:

We're still discussing this internally, but right now, out of the 40 game comparisons we've carried out since the consoles launched, our tally looks like this:
  • 13 games where we have parity or very minor differences
  • 6 titles where each has its advantages/disadvantages - no overall winner
  • 6 titles where a 900p to 1080p (or equivalent) PS4 resolution boost is the only real differentiating factor
  • 14 titles where the PS4 advantage is noticeable and isn't just limited to resolution (performance or visual effects enhancements too)
  • 1 title with a clear Xbox One advantage
However, this doesn't really reflect the full story. Truly transformative differences brought about by the extra GPU power found on PS4 sees the tally drop to just three games in our opinion: PES 2015, Tomb Raider Definitive Edition and Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes.

[...]

Even factoring in first-party platform exclusives - where last-gen support is by and large irrelevant - what's clear is that the next-gen leap has mostly been visual in nature.

[...]

Moving into Year Two, the big question is to what extent the GPU starts to be utilised for non-visual tasks, and whether Xbox One can remain competitive. From our perspective, looking at the long-term view, the extent to which PlayStation 4's larger GPU makes it more 'future-proof' is more of a concern than the often minimal differences seen between titles rendering at 900p and 1080p.

[...]

As things stand, both machines have proved the point that they are capable of producing beautiful visuals - now the challenge is to push on with new, innovative games. It'll take time but we've confident that we'll get there: with developers adjusting to the strengths of the new hardware, and last-gen support far less of a concern, hopefully we can see the gameplay revolution to match the impressive visuals the new consoles will continue to deliver.

• 6 titles where a 900p to 1080p (or equivalent) PS4 resolution boost is the only real differentiating factor
  • 14 titles where the PS4 advantage is noticeable and isn't just limited to resolution (performance or visual effects enhancements too)
A Total of 20, but I count only 19:

Metal Gear Solid Ground Zero
PES 15
Golf Club
Murdered Soul
Tomb Raider
Thief
Trials Fusion
Metro Redux
Dragon Age 3
Shadow Warrior
Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare