Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah Panny is definitely not that kind of company. Not a huge issue cause the Smart options are not something I use - though perhaps I would if they were better - But all you get is BBC iPlayer, which is quite good, Youtube... That's about it! And a lot of useless crap. And I think in two years I got one update.

Which is a bit disingenuous to the last gen gamers, effectively selling them a no-good version of the game. One hopes people read reviews like this and avoid it. Cross-gen upwards, so a proper last-gen game refined for the new gen, is fine, but next-gen games hacked down to last gen is a cynical cash-in.

Interesting X360 is still running late stage games often much better than PS3. I recall someone here stating that was no longer the case, that parity had been reached late in the generation.

Interesting X360 is still running late stage games often much better than PS3. I recall someone here stating that was no longer the case, that parity had been reached late in the generation.
It depends if they already have experience with PS3 and how good it was. Last gen port probably just a cash grab, thus probably very little resources (vs the current/next gen) spent for it. In this case, probably the easier platform to develop will gain an advantage vs the harder one. Some developers achieving parity doesn't mean the harder platform to develop suddenly become easy to develop. It become easier but still harder.

PS3 suffered most when games were developed on PC and then ported with minimal effort. This has all evidence of the same.

I dunno, I watched the DF video and both the 360 and PS3 performed awful.

With the latest DF faceoffs of Shadow or Mordor and Call of Duty, it's clear that no, the PS3 never really "caught" the 360.

Even the latest GTAV cross-gen comparison shows the PS3 tanking in frame rates compared to the 360 during action scenes (in stark contrast to the narrative being set at the time of release, which stated that the PS3 version was somehow better because reasons).

I'm sure that all these years of metrics will be forgotten, however, in the face of determined history rewriting. [There are still Saturn fans at it 20 years later!]

Up next: Xbox One continues to come worse off in most faceoffs for the next 7 years.

It's all about the graphics chip, innit. It always is.

Wonder if DF will revisit ACU after patch 4. Seems like Ubi went and actually rebuilt the Paris map to cut down on frame drops. The patch is ~7 GB and a glitch is forcing 40GB download for some XB1 users.

Which is a bit disingenuous to the last gen gamers, effectively selling them a no-good version of the game. One hopes people read reviews like this and avoid it. Cross-gen upwards, so a proper last-gen game refined for the new gen, is fine, but next-gen games hacked down to last gen is a cynical cash-in.

You mean like selling Wii U gamers a no good version of Watch Dogs, yes I agree. :) Sorry, you know I had to plug that in there. LOL Anyway, I agree 100%. It seems that if your going to include 360/PS3 with your multi plat, they should really be the core focus for the games development. Its so much easier to increase fidelity and resolution, than it is to chop down a game that is likely already pushing the PS4 and X1 pretty hard. Even with COD AW, you could see that they had switched gears, and when the action got going, 360 and especially PS3 had some pretty serious dips. For a series that is praised for its 60fps, AW on 360 and PS3 fall far short of the mark when it matters. So in the end, these publishers/developers know they should have just moved on from the old consoles completely, its not like they are unaware that these ports are pretty shoddy, but money talks, and as long as people continue to buy this garbage, they will continue to release it. Hopefully gamers are educated and avoid these sub par games, mainly Shadow of Mordor, COD AW is still acceptable, but honestly gamers need to speak with their wallets, and then perhaps these publishers will react accordingly.

Yea it is apparent that when you go down from current gen to last gen the results will usually be worse than going up from last to current gen and maybe even worse when you compare a last gen only game to its downported sequel. Titanfall is the only example where the downport was well done.

For example Black Ops 2 looks and runs better than Advanced Warfare on PS360 and that came out 2 years ago. That screenshot comparison of Will Irons face is a good example of the reduced detail on PS360 as compared to the previous COD releases like here from MW2 or this one of Woods from BO1 or Reznov from BO1. Harper from BO2 from is a good example too but I don't have a screenshot of him that is close up.

Time and effort (and as a consequence money too) plays an important role here obviously.

Last edited:
I also think that most 'well-done' downports weren't in fact up-ports ...

Assassin's creed Unity Console framerate analysis patch 4 (NX gamer)

- Framerate has definitely being improved on consoles
- Now both versions run at pretty much the same framerate, even when in big crowds.
- solid 30fps on roof, general play and cutscenes
- Both version runs very similarly in big crowds at a fluctuating 25-30fps with rare 24fps drops on both consoles
- Memory leaks are still there and can worsen the framerate the longer you play.
- Some glitches (stutters) in cutscenes can be found

If we compare it with the pre-patched 4 Digital Foundry articles during the very crowded areas, the framerate improvement on PS4 is significant, maybe a ~4-5fps improvement: fps could go as low as 18fps and regularly at 20fps on PS4 pre-patch 4, now the minimal fps he found is 24fps on both consoles.

ybkb.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back