The Last Guardian (Trico, Ico 3, Shadow of the Colossus sequel, etc.) [PS4]

isnt its normal for japan developer to stuck in development hell?

AFAIK, it isn't. Japan's entire job culture is based around delivering things on time.

i though all Final Fantasy series got development hell in their lifetime. The changes also can be very drastic. FF X from full 3D to 2D+3D, then FF 13 from cell shaded to normal graphic. Gran Turismo that take so much time to develop (or its their normal development timeline?).
tokyo jungle that got direction change midway in develoment, i think there much more but my memory is hazy.

Changing the assets in a game isn't what defines development hell. Development hell is when a game gets stuck for so long after announcement that developer teams start to lose morale and productivity, further increasing the longevity of the game development. Look at the examples of Duke Nukem forever, Prey 2 and Half Life 3.

Between "main releases" (numbered games) and secondary ones (prologues, concepts, etc.) Gran Turismo has seen 8 releases during the last 10 years.

Again during the last 10 years, Square Enix launched two FF VII spin-offs, two FF X HD remasters, FFXI MMORPG, two FF XII games, three FF XIII games, FF XIV MMORPG was released twice, six Chrystal Chronicles games for Nintendo systems, complete remakes of FF III and IV for Nintendo DS, every single game of the main series suffered some kind of remake or adaptation for the PC and/or smartphones and then there's even side-series like the dissidia fighting games and tactics strategy games.
There's no development hell happening with Final Fantasy that I know of.

FF XV got released, the game works. and the heavy changes happen after the game release, not before.

about multiple FF releases, isn't square enix is multiple studio? i think FF XIII series, FF XV, FF XIV, those were made by different square enix studios. The mobile games also developed by other square enix studios.

If they're wanting money back, it makes more sense to sell to the 80 million PS3's than the 10 million PS4s
You don't make flagship games like this and then release them to an almost decade-old piece of hardware, not when you have your new all-singing, all-dancing console out already. How many of those 80 million PS3s are even actively used today? A crapload of them will have died of old age already (or, heh, due to sudden, involuntary child urination, as in the case of a friend of mine's... :LOL:)

It may be that LG will be like the Bugatti Veyron. An expensive, fancy, overengineered masterpiece that doesn't make any money for the company, but rather is pure bragging rights. I would be totally, TOTALLY surprised though if a big reason for the delay is NOT that it's being re-engineered for PS4...

I don't think FF XV was ever in development hell. Square Enix simply preferred to not dedicate any man-power to an action-based Versus XIII in order to make more official sequels to FF XIII. Even more so after seeing how the FF VII Dirge of Cerberus (also action-based) didn't get much love.

By the time Square-Enix decided to allocate people to actually start doing code on Versus XIII (not just some random meetings for story-boards and stuff, I assume), they were too close to the release of the new consoles.

But do I think there was ever a large team of full-time developers working on the game since 2006 for the PS3?
Naah.. they probably didn't get developers on it before 2011. Until then, all they had was some storyboards and minutes of CGI (maybe done by the people who did advent children).

btw the in-engine cutscene from 2006 is much better than the newer ones in a few years later.
the old cutscene have better shadow, light, and character model (less blocky).

as for the CGI video, its exactly the same quality in all those years but have different colours (the newer ones are more "yellow/warm")

I don't think FF XV was ever in development hell. Square Enix simply preferred to not dedicate any man-power to an action-based Versus XIII in order to make more official sequels to FF XIII. Even more so after seeing how the FF VII Dirge of Cerberus (also action-based) didn't get much love.

By the time Square-Enix decided to allocate people to actually start doing code on Versus XIII (not just some random meetings for story-boards and stuff, I assume), they were too close to the release of the new consoles.

But do I think there was ever a large team of full-time developers working on the game since 2006 for the PS3?

Naah.. they probably didn't get developers on it before 2011. Until then, all they had was some storyboards and minutes of CGI (maybe done by the people who did advent children).

If you look at the second trailer with Noctis in the killer boots you can see a lot of credits. That was supposed to be real time as we'll.

i loved ICO and shadow of the colossus, and i'm happy the last guardian skipped the ps3 since i never had one, and there are enough incoming games that interest me to keep me waiting, Rime will be a perfect ICO successor i guess.

AFAIK, it isn't. Japan's entire job culture is based around delivering things on time.

After working in Japan for about 2 years now I can say I'm honestly surprised they get things done to begin with. Everybody here is hell bent to do everything in the most ass backward, least efficient way humanly possible.

The exception to the rule is the railway/subway system which is awesome (though the people designing these stations need to be shot as literally every single one of them is near impossible to navigate).

Bump. December 17th, 2014 and.........................................................................................................

It's alive, Yosp has mentioned several times this year that Studio Japan is working hard on it.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...your-latest-update-on-the-last-guardian-again

Game trailer was originally leaked, then Sony tough they could make it, announced it officially, and then they saw that game vision cannot be achieved on PS3. So the game went dark. Fumito Ueda mentioned few days ago that project is still alive.
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/12/the-last-guardian-sure-sounds-like-a-ps4-game/

IMO they will not re-announce it outside of E3 or TGS. So............................ patience.

Maybe the animation system of the Trico cat-rat-bird. Ueda mentioned long ago that he wanted to make it very cat-like and realistic in way he moved and reacted to the player.

Who knows what will be the scope of the game on the PS4. However I don't believe they can drop this project. TLG must be released, their honor [and pressure from gamers] demands that they release it eventually. And no matter how good it is, it will probably not meet crazy fan expectations. :D

I don't really understand why people can be fans of a game that never existed, and demand that its released, when they have no idea what it was. All they ever saw was a BS teaser that was released FIVE YEARS ago. The last team Team Ico released a new game was 2005.

Back