monitor not waking up

I have an intermittent problem where sometimes my monitor won't wake up from going into power save mode. I've tried to power cycle the monitor and unplug/replug in the monitor in various orders with no luck, my only option is to power cycle when ALT-F4 a couple of times and enter fails. (BTW is there a better way to cleanly shutdown with no monitor - a keyboard shortcut maybe) So is there anyway to troubleshoot this? Win 8.1, AMD 7850, 14.4 driver - CCC not installed, cheap 20" I-inc monitor. Oh and if I power cycle the machine while leaving the monitor alone I get the picture back.

Cleanly shut down - just press the ATX power button a couple times (once to "wake" the sleeping monitor, 2nd to shut down.) If the PC doesn't turn off after a little while you may need to press enter to the alert that Program X is slow to respond, asking if you want to kill it or not.

Holding the power button for about five seconds performs a hard shutdown - not recommended. :)

My solution is not to let the GPU sleep. Yes not ideal. I hope AMD fix it (or MS?) since this isn't happening on my previous rig (old X3 AMD with IGP on XP vs Kaveri on Win8.1). Or is this already fixed in the latest updates?

Edit: hey, I can edit post!

To shutdown you may hit win+r (run box), then type shutdown -s -t 0. (-r instead of -s will give you reboot)
I never use the power button : depends on OS and configuration. possibly BIOS setting. I'm too scared to press it lol, as I've no idea if it will give me a hard shutdown, soft shutdown, a pop-up menu or suspend.
In total crash, hardware-related freeze or just hanging in the BIOS or like in MS-DOS etc. I feel free to cut power by any means.

Last edited:
There may be a way to force "monitor detection" or similar (probing the EDID), or restarting the GPU (like ATI's "VPU Recover")
Some settings dialog, driver panel or some kind of display/monitor tool that makes the screen blink to blank one time on opening (does that still exist? the "arandr" program on linux seems to do so)

If this ultimately can be done with a shortcut or command, then you could bind it to some silly hotkey like win+f1, ctrl+alt+f1 etc.

You can also try to suspend and resume your PC instead of shutting it down. (old style "S1" suspend if available in BIOS etc. might be psychologically better than S3 if you're always doing that)
Ah, might be "AMD zerocore"? (from Rurouni's comment). In which case disabling it would be still half decent :"regular" GPU power management would still work.

Last edited:
Have you try just change the power plan for PCI express link ? or just make the monitor dont go sleep. ?

This said, press 1 time the Power button make start the normal shutdown ( its exactly like click on "shutdown icon" ). Windows will close anything then start shutdown. ( i set it in registry to force the close automatically of the software, so it dont bug on it )

I have an intermittent problem where sometimes my monitor won't wake up from going into power save mode. I've tried to power cycle the monitor and unplug/replug in the monitor in various orders with no luck, my only option is to power cycle when ALT-F4 a couple of times and enter fails. (BTW is there a better way to cleanly shutdown with no monitor - a keyboard shortcut maybe) So is there anyway to troubleshoot this? Win 8.1, AMD 7850, 14.4 driver - CCC not installed, cheap 20" I-inc monitor. Oh and if I power cycle the machine while leaving the monitor alone I get the picture back.

I'm having exactly the same issue. Its intermittent, probably once every 4-5 sleeps and Im running Intel and NV. Weird thing is the same system didnt used to do this, I just figured it was some kind of weird hardware fault with the GPU.

I'm having exactly the same issue. Its intermittent, probably once every 4-5 sleeps and Im running Intel and NV. Weird thing is the same system didnt used to do this, I just figured it was some kind of weird hardware fault with the GPU.
I haven't had time to properly research this yet thanks for letting me know you're seeing it on an Nvidia setup. Just so you know I have a lock screen so pressing the power button once doesn't work for me when locked, however Blazkowicz's suggestion to suspend and then resume the machine does work, the monitor wakes up just fine on resume. BTW thanks to everyone who replied, its appreciated. Will look into zerocore and PCI express link when I get the chance.

I think you will be happy with new AMD Omega driver:

I Know some here who will be happy with some fixed bug:

-14.9 Install issues for intermittent crash or black screen after install Fixed
-14.9 Catalyst™ Control Center issues have occasional AMDMantle64.dll error popups during install Fixed
-Online video can sometimes crash when watching Youtube videos with hardware acceleration enabled Fixed

-Watching online flash videos in Google Chrome sometimes causes the browser to hang when hardware acceleration is enabled Fixed
-Displays that go in to sleep mode intermittently causes the display to not wake up Fixed
-AHCI Chipset Drivers can sometimes cause the system to crash on bootup Fixed
-144Hz displays in AMD CrossFire™ configurations can cause intermittent crashing when launching D3D Applications Fixed

-Game stuttering or screen tearing in Quad CrossFire™ Fixed
-State of Decay textures can intermittently extrude beyond their boundaries or be corrupted Fixed
- HDMI audio stays disabled when a connected TV is disabled and then reenabled

Thanks for pointing that out lanek... recently once I also had a variation where the monitor woke up but the screen stayed black. Just so everybody knows sleeping and waking up solves that condition as well.

I posted that the new omega drivers had given me screen corruption and an automatic reboot on screen wake up in the omega driver thread. It has happened to me a second time so I don't think its a one time thing, just posting for those who might be affected and can't afford a automatic reboot.

Back