Forum Reorganisation 2014

Rys

Graphics @ AMD
Veteran
Supporter
I plan to reorganise and consolidate the forums into a more concise and focused set at the end of the year. We've had the current structure for a long time now, and in the last 8 years things have changed enough to make certain forums redundant or certainly barren, and other forums have outgrown their title or sub-forum status.

I'm not quite ready to announce what the new structure will look like, just that there'll be less nooks and crannies and it should be more obvious where to start a new topic and what a forum is all about. I'll sit down to make it happen early on the 31st of December 2014, GMT, ready for a reopening on the 1st of January. New year, new start.

It'll be upheaval, just like the new software was, so it'll require a bit of getting used to and I apologise for that in advance, but I believe it's long overdue. I'd like to grow the forums again and cement their place on the Web as the place to come to have in-depth technically-driven discussion on a wide range of graphics and graphics-related topics.

If you have any questions, please ask them here.

tumblr_l9qoj2jEhY1qzzud0.gif

JUST KIDDING.

:D

More merging and less stickies.

Merge PC and Console forum. Yes I said it, @Davros will have to put up with all the peasants. With the latest generation, PC gamers end up talking about the PC version of a game in the multi-plat console thread anyway.

I don't think we'll merge those even though consoles are indeed PC with a fancy software layer and interface, because console owners seems to have religions, in fact maybe we should move console talk to the RSPC forum :p

Anyway there are too many differences between PC and console, people on console wouldn't be interested in settings that don't exist for them or driver issues...

The old game-merging argument makes sense for discussing gameplay. eg. Destiny talk on PC and consoles is parallel, so needn't be separated. We're also at a point where I think the PC Master Race doesn't need to say, "our hardware is better than yours," any more because we all know it! So we should just get game discussion. Maybe even comparison between consoles will be muted because we'd know at any second a PCMR will smackdown a better quality screenshot than either console? Bit hard to have a fight over Console A rendering The Game at 3 fps higher average than Console B when both are down around the 30 fps mark and a PCMR talks about their 60 Hz 1440p experience.

However, we wouldn't want game discussion interspersed with PCMR talking about their settings and quality.

Maybe, which might be a little tricky to organise, a common Game Discussion thread per game, and then a separate PC Game Settings thread per title for that specific purpose?

I'm not planning on merging the console and PC gaming forums. There's enough of a difference in the two platforms to keep them separate on the gaming front, plus you then have all of the separate discussion on the hardware, industry and related things that have little or zero overlap. In fact I've always been tempted to have Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo subforums, to make it easy for everyone and the moderators to know what's happening and expected in each.

I'm not planning on merging the console and PC gaming forums. There's enough of a difference in the two platforms to keep them separate on the gaming front, plus you then have all of the separate discussion on the hardware, industry and related things that have little or zero overlap. In fact I've always been tempted to have Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo subforums, to make it easy for everyone and the moderators to know what's happening and expected in each.
I had similar thoughts too, but not sure it's worth it given the similarity, if the console mods are willing to drown any fire swiftly... ^^

(Then I thought maybe a Nintendo subforum...)

No Like for you then! :cool:

I'm postponing this work until later in January due to lateness of some other things I've been working on over the holiday break. While I've been working on it today, I haven't had the time to test things properly, so it'll happen in the 2nd half of January instead since I'm really busy at work for the 1st half.

I love you!

Email notifications for me are haphazard. I get them for some of the threads I'm subscribed to but not all. The older format had more consistent notifications.

Just a quick one to say that I'm pushing this out again into February, tentatively Saturday the 14th.

Lol, my birthday. A fresh new forum re-org would be quite the gift to receive, so thank you so much in advance, @Rys. :D

Btw discussion to death about setting pc for game does it ever happened in here? (pcmr talk inside game thread)

Back