The Order: 1886

It's just that videogames are, for the most part, inherently ridiculous anyway. Why not use the creative freedom a setting such as the Order's affords to do something that's at least a little bit interesting? Besides, realism is no excuse for dullness. Even as a bog standard shooter, this doesn't look particularly great.

It's just that videogames are, for the most part, inherently ridiculous anyway. Why not use the creative freedom a setting such as the Order's affords to do something that's at least a little bit interesting? Besides, realism is no excuse for dullness. Even as a bog standard shooter, this doesn't look particularly great.

Example: you have a scifi movie like Interstellar which is more grounded in some kind of reality, you have a scifi movie like Guardians of the Galaxy with over the top stuff going on...both good imo, but quite different. Interstellar is just a movie...they could have gone wild with their artistic freedom and introduce light saber ninja alien-turtles...but they didn't for a imo very good reason. Because their choice was to make it as much grounded as possible (at least for holywood:))

But gaming devs also can choose whatever setting they want. It is their vision they want to sell. Consumers can freely choose to like it or not. You don't like it...fine! That is why we luckily also have other action games available to choose from. Why do you want that every action game should be the same?

You understand nothing really, the high quality per object motion blur itself is processing intensive, plus most of the textures are already high res as it is. The game is rendering at 1:1 pixel ratio to the TV so it won't be upscaled to hell and back unlike Ryse or AC Unity on consoles.

None of that contradicts what I said. Motion blur is processing intensive, the black bars at top and bottom allow you to render at a lower resolution (hint the game isn't 1080p for the actual rendered game), thus saving you some processing (like Ryse) that you can then feed back into more complex GPU shaders and effects (which I applaud). I get that. I'd rather have the game take up my whole screen than have black bars top and bottom. That's a personal preference, it's not right or wrong. But for me and other's like me, I find it unfortunate that they went with that choice. And even more so that people actually think they are doing something more amazing than a game that is just rendered at 900p.

Which isn't exactly the same as allowing for lower resolution textures. With the blur that covers the entire scene (it's not ONLY per object motion blur, the entire scene is blurred in addition to individual objects from the little footage I've bothered to watch), you'll never know if their texture work is good or not. Or if they have detailed textures that aren't in close proximity to the camera.

Personally (note the personal preference thing again), I find this detestable. I turn off motion blur in games because it is highly unrealistic. Things "I" focus my eyes on should not be blurry. Until games can tell what I'm actually looking at while playing, motion blur is always going to be the absolute worst crime imaginable in a game, to me. Obviously other people feel differently and don't care if they can't actually focus on something when their vision is focused on it (boggles my mind, but to each their own).

I look at something like Bloodborne and that gets more impressive graphically each time I see new footage of it. I look at the Order: 1886 and I get less and less impressed with the graphics each time I view new footage (I was originally very up on this game as you could tell if you look at my very first impressions of the game on this forum, and thought it was one of the graphical standouts of the E3 where it was revealed). The over-reliance on blur, however, has completely turned me off to this game.

Again, personal preference on the blur part. I understand that other people like blurry games, and that's just fine as well.

Regards,
SB

I think you are confusing imagination with ridiculousness

Yeah, this is right now hands down the best looking game I've ever seen by a good margin. Feb 20th can't come any sooner.

None of that contradicts what I said. Motion blur is processing intensive, the black bars at top and bottom allow you to render at a lower resolution (hint the game isn't 1080p for the actual rendered game), thus saving you some processing (like Ryse) that you can then feed back into more complex GPU shaders and effects (which I applaud). I get that. I'd rather have the game take up my whole screen than have black bars top and bottom. That's a personal preference, it's not right or wrong. But for me and other's like me, I find it unfortunate that they went with that choice. And even more so that people actually think they are doing something more amazing than a game that is just rendered at 900p.

Which isn't exactly the same as allowing for lower resolution textures. With the blur that covers the entire scene (it's not ONLY per object motion blur, the entire scene is blurred in addition to individual objects from the little footage I've bothered to watch), you'll never know if their texture work is good or not. Or if they have detailed textures that aren't in close proximity to the camera.

Personally (note the personal preference thing again), I find this detestable. I turn off motion blur in games because it is highly unrealistic. Things "I" focus my eyes on should not be blurry. Until games can tell what I'm actually looking at while playing, motion blur is always going to be the absolute worst crime imaginable in a game, to me. Obviously other people feel differently and don't care if they can't actually focus on something when their vision is focused on it (boggles my mind, but to each their own).

I look at something like Bloodborne and that gets more impressive graphically each time I see new footage of it. I look at the Order: 1886 and I get less and less impressed with the graphics each time I view new footage (I was originally very up on this game as you could tell if you look at my very first impressions of the game on this forum, and thought it was one of the graphical standouts of the E3 where it was revealed). The over-reliance on blur, however, has completely turned me off to this game.

Again, personal preference on the blur part. I understand that other people like blurry games, and that's just fine as well.

Regards,
SB
But you realize 1920 x 800 with 4xmsaa is more costly than 1920 x 1080 with a cheap post aa right? RAD could ride that 1080p boat any time and with more performance to spare, so your assumption is factually incorrect. I can't change your mind about motion blur preference but if you look at the screenshots released you can see most of the textures are very high res and detailed. The system has 5gig available ram to use to you get high res texture maps by default. I just think you're a bit misinformed up to this stage.

But you realize 1920 x 800 with 4xmsaa is more costly than 1920 x 1080 with a cheap post aa right? RAD could ride that 1080p boat any time and with more performance to spare, so your assumption is factually incorrect.
How does that argument render the assumption "factually incorrect"? "If they just dropped 4xMSAA" is a tremendous caveat.

The interesting thing would be whether, all other things being equal, RAD would still have chosen letterboxed 1920x800 over 16:9 1920x1080.

Last edited:
Finally the full 35min PSX show floor demo, offscreen tho. But man even in this shitty quality the game still manages to look astoundingly beautiful.

Finally the full 35min PSX show floor demo, offscreen tho. But man even in this shitty quality the game still manages to look astoundingly beautiful.

Agreed. the clothe animation is just beyond hat I ve seen before. The cinematic angles are really good. I just don't really like the constant change of it during gameplay.
Now If RAD could share this awesome cloth simulation tech with WWS that d be just awesome to see it implemented in more games.
I love the Artistic direction of the game and the lighting in some areas are amazingly done.
Also note the details like the footprint on the canvas when they are rappeling.

Just watched a few seconds...don't know if I want to spoil such a huge chunk of the game for myself...but boy do the materials look real ! WOW ! PS4 is on a roll baby ! Too much good stuff, ,too little time and....too small a hdd T_T !

I've just watched the 35 minute piece of gameplay and I'm recalling liking the interaction between the characters and the dialogue. The world looks a really interesting place and the characters seem quite believable - I get so much more invested in a game when this is the case.

I can't believe this is just a couple of months off so I can investigate what the werewolves are up too. No doubt it's some fiendish plan to steal all the sausages or something just as dastardly! :)

I purposely only briefly skimmed the video to not get too many spoilers. Looks good though!

Back