Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
An E3 downgrade?
Part of the problem here is the ambiguous wording used by Naughty Dog for its E3 reveal. "All footage you see in the trailer was captured completely in engine. That's Nathan Drake rendered in 1080p full glory using the power of our PS4 engine," said the E3 blog post text. "The following footage was captured directly from a PlayStation 4," pronounced the trailer itself.

But the question posed by the incredible teaser was simple: is that what the PS4 will be generating in real-time when we sit down to play the game next year? The trailer text seems totally unambiguous: yes it is. The blog text says "in-engine" - which skirts around the fact that the engine may be used to generate offline renders, in which case we can't help but feel that the teaser's wording is suggesting that the footage is something that it isn't. As far as we know, Naughty Dog never used the magic phrase "real-time" on the record (though GamingBolt had a comment, apparently from the developer, that seemingly says otherwise).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...ed-4-the-generational-leap-we-were-hoping-for

Nothing that hasn't already been said in the UC4 game thread. But when the E3 trailer was shown, plenty of folk were saying it was extremely unlikely the game would look that good with good reason. ND still have a year to refine the game though. It may have just been a bit premature to show the game now, but Sony wanted to show something and UC4 is a flagship title. The game itself looked just as UC fans would like, I'm sure.

Nintendo is king when it comes to 60fps. When they go for it, they obtain it. Obviously the Wii U build is much better looking than the 3DS, but still, the 3DS build holding tight to the 60fps mark is very impressive. The Wii U build being 1080p is pretty impressive as well. Its not the most demanding game from a visual perspective, but 8 players on screen at 60fps 1080p is still not a walk in the park. Nintendo has some pretty darn good programmers, their code seems to be tight and fast.
The game was published by Nintendo, and would had a lot of influence on its goals, but they weren't the developer. It was developed jointly by Namco and Sora.

How many of them were 1080P with 8 characters though?
Thats just a tiny fraction of the what is rendered on screen. You should make other questions too.
How many polygons are the characters made of? How complex is the scenery? What extra effects are enhancing the visuals (i.e hit particles and motion blur)? What is the AA implementation? etc etc etc?
Could Nintendo make a game as visually detailed as Tekken Tag Tournament 2 with 8 characters on screen at 60fps and 1080p?

If you zoom into the images at DF you will notice that in order to achieve 1080p at 60fps with 8 characters on screen, they made a ton of compromises.

Characters are low polygon with visible edges. Many details where could have been polygon based, they are actually textures. The stages have very simple geometry. They are basically made out of platforms and for the empty background they have simple models added. Effects are 2D and the lighting is flat and light sources bouncing on characters are simplistic and few. Normal maps and speculars are almost non existent. Texture detail is just enough to keep the job done considering that the camera is in general far away and visuals are cartoonish

I wouldnt be surprised if they made even more compromises during 8 player. Since the camera views the action from very far they could use even simpler models without breaking the graphics and anyone noticing

In general the game benefits from its gameplay style and art

Yes it's impressive considering the hardware but It looks to have zero AA and simplistic lighting & lots of background is shown

Thats just a tiny fraction of the what is rendered on screen. You should make other questions too.

How many polygons are the characters made of?

Approximation -15000-20000+ Polygons(SF4-TTT2/Tekken 6)
56.png

fb7ebe0e35e58882eb39433f4f2b857725959bce8938a0364ac89ff18dcb2e66_:original

2662407-111510_wupp_ax_scrnc25_31_ev07b.jpg

Looks like Samus's suit from Other M which has 14000-15000 polygons

20141203121610-ssbwiiu_3.jpg

fAqyEy3.jpg

Tekken 6
maxresdefault.jpg

Paul_phoenix_vs_marshall_law_tekken_6.jpg

Street Fighter 4
Ryu.jpg

Little Mac would fit well in Street Fighter...

smash_little_mac_big.jpg

How complex is the scenery?

Super-Smash-Bros-Wii-U-jagatplay-147.jpg

WiiU_SuperSmashBros_Stage12_Screen_02.jpg

What extra effects are enhancing the visuals (i.e hit particles and motion blur)? What is the AA implementation? etc etc etc?

Could Nintendo make a game as visually detailed as Tekken Tag Tournament 2 with 8 characters on screen at 60fps and 1080p?

You mean Bandai Namco and Sora ltd... Its possible...

If you zoom into the images at DF you will notice that in order to achieve 1080p at 60fps with 8 characters on screen, they made a ton of compromises. I wouldnt be surprised if they made even more compromises during 8 player. Since the camera views the action from very far they could use even simpler models without breaking the graphics and anyone noticing

First of all Digital Foundry article does not have any image/picture of 8 player mode except of a video which is on Youtube and everyone knows atrocious compression that is applied that creates artifacts.

Judging games visuals by using a Youtube video is unforgiving, you don't have any credibility...

If you have proof then present it, don't make claims without a strong proof.

Characters are low polygon with visible edges. Many details where could have been polygon based, they are actually textures. The stages have very simple geometry. They are basically made out of platforms and for the empty background they have simple models added. Effects are 2D and the lighting is flat and light sources bouncing on characters are simplistic and few. Normal maps and speculars are almost non existent. Texture detail is just enough to keep the job done considering that the camera is in general far away and visuals are cartoonish

Then why did mention TTT2?

In general the game benefits from its gameplay style and art

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it's impressive considering the hardware but It looks to have zero AA and simplistic lighting & lots of background is shown
I know I might get flak for it, but its typical Bandai Namco's lightning in their fighting games... :p

You can't consider Wii U's hardware since we don't know much about it...

The Smash Bros images you posted repeat what was pointed already. You arent exactly making a strong point other than the possibility that some characters may have more geometry than others in Smash Bros..
Regarding the other games you posted, you were pretty selective with the images you were choosing werent you. On one hand you complain about the compressed nature of the DF youtube video yet you pic the worst examples (including some very low res compressed images) for other games, which also cant highlight some of their other visual highlights such us multilayered stages or object motion blur etc. Please if you are going to talk about credibility do it the right way.

You mean Bandai Namco and Sora ltd... Its possible...
If you mean through compromises? Yes sure

And yet TTT2 on Wii U brought us these results from the same creators:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-tekken-tag-tournament-2-on-wii-u-face-off
You can claim that this was because it was their first game on the WiiU, but thats a speculation at best. You are basically implying that Namco Bandai could fit 8 visible characters at 1080p/60fps in Tekken Tag 2, all battling each other simultaneously without making any visual compromises at all. Ahem.....

First of all Digital Foundry article does not have any image/picture of 8 player mode except of a video which is on Youtube and everyone knows atrocious compression that is applied that creates artifacts.

Judging games visuals by using a Youtube video is unforgiving, you don't have any credibility...

If you have proof then present it, don't make claims without a strong proof.

Yes there is some compression, but the conclusions that we can derive from the videos are the same with or without the compression. Stages are simple platforms floating on an almost empty space or simple rooms and viewed constantly from one side. All observations from videos are reconfirmed by the still captures. An HQ video wont suddenly transform those stages from this
SSB4UHalberd.jpg

or this
SSB4UTheGreatCaveOffensive.jpg

or this
SSB4UMarioCircuit8.jpg

to this
maxresdefault.jpg

or this

050.jpg

or this
virtua-fighter-5-20061024000303808.jpg

Or this
oilrig02.jpg

Then why did mention TTT2?]/quote]
I believe its too obvious for you to ask that question

Compressed youtube videos of TTT2 and Smash Bros Wii U
Artifacting or not, the difference is obvious. Both compressed Youtube videos

Simplistic lighting typical to Bandai Namco fighting games? Not at all. Unless you werent really in touch with their fighting games

Last edited:
No idea why you're comparing such different games. Yes they're Fighting games but the similarities end there.

Most importantly, the last few pictures just reminded me... Where's our super duper next gen Virtua Fighter????
No idea why either. TTT2 was just mentioned as a reference yardstick for the question "could they have achieved 1080p/60fps 8 player battles without making compromises"? I didnt mention it as a comparison per se in my original post.

And yes I want a new VF too. I think its still one of the most brilliantly looking fighting games for last gen. Sega did a wonderful job with both visuals and gameplay depth.

You've had a handful of posts so far, starting with a bash of the PS2 in the Human Rendering thread. You may want to hold off claiming someone else has zero credibility until you have some of your own.

You can't consider Wii U's hardware since we don't know much about it...
We know quite a lot about it. Discussed here.

Pfffft. There is no special accomplishment regarding Smash Bros framerate that should be credited to Nintendo.

First of all this is a fighting/beat em up game.

The PS360 had a load of 60fps fighting games with much more complex visuals.

That's your opinion and that's cool. I think a better comparison would be Playstation Allstars compared to Smash Bros U. I believe Allstars ran at 60fps, but did so in 720p. If you look at the quality of assets, Allstars probably edges out Smash Bros, but when resolution is twice the pixels, and you can have twice as many characters on screen, its clear that Smash Bros U is the more impressive. Seeing as how the PS3 and Wii U are comparable in terms of raw processing power, Smash Bros on Wii U is a well produced game.

That's your opinion and that's cool. I think a better comparison would be Playstation Allstars compared to Smash Bros U. I believe Allstars ran at 60fps, but did so in 720p. If you look at the quality of assets, Allstars probably edges out Smash Bros, but when resolution is twice the pixels, and you can have twice as many characters on screen, its clear that Smash Bros U is the more impressive. Seeing as how the PS3 and Wii U are comparable in terms of raw processing power, Smash Bros on Wii U is a well produced game.
I didnt say it is not a well produced game. Thats a different topic though.
Cant comment on All stars much as I have only seen the PS Vita version. Perhaps it is more impressive than All stars perhaps it is not. The question in this case is if it was possible to run PS All stars at 1080p/60fps and 8 characters or if it was possible for Smash Bros to retain 1080p, steady 60fps and 8 characters on screen with assets as detailed as those found in All Stars. I dont really have an answer for that

I didnt say it is not a well produced game. Thats a different topic though.
Cant comment on All stars much as I have only seen the PS Vita version. Perhaps it is more impressive than All stars perhaps it is not. The question in this case is if it was possible to run PS All stars at 1080p/60fps and 8 characters or if it was possible for Smash Bros to retain 1080p, steady 60fps and 8 characters on screen with assets as detailed as those found in All Stars. I dont really have an answer for that
All Stars art style leans towards realism thus its harder to compare it to Smash Wii U...

playstation_allstars_battle_royal-shot-2.jpg

Dante's model in PASBR... Is it the same from DMC:Devil May Cry? Looks a bit less detailed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back