Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure where you got that impression, however, there is nothing different between cinematic shots and in-game. The models, textures, post-processing, lighting features, etc.. are identical.

It felt to me like at least the motion blur and some of the other post processing effects are pulled back in interactive scenes. If that's not the case and there's a 100% match then I guess we should blame youtube (not a rare situation...)

I thought Infamous Second Son IQ was insane... but UC4 just gobbles it up in that department. Plus, the multiple shadowing techniques look gorgeous...

http://a.pomf.se/aqakkj.gif

Edit: Just wow... (FYI: The lady on the right is from ACU, being compared)

BRwZkny.jpg

503d7a-1417962788.png
This really does put the "old gen" rubbish to bed.

There really is no comparison, Uncharted looks infinitely better, and I don't recall people saying the models in ACU looked bad (although they might change their opinion now to continue their arguments.)

Crysis 3 (@High, Ultra still looks mildly impressive) Battlefield 3, Far Cry 3 or 4( 4 is basically a slightly enhanced 3), Metro Last Light. Lighting wise we have moved passed these titles with the advent of Ryse, AC Unity, The Order, Quantum Break, Infamous, The Witcher 3, FF 15 and all the titles that will be using the extraordinary UE4 engine.

So in hardware terms...?

If you going to troll console threads with your PC master race bullshit, at least be specific.

A lot of that difference is in art direction, UC4 is aiming for a more stylized look, both in assets and lighting; and also the captured images handle sharp details very differently (the ACU one is washed out quite a lot). You can find a gazillion other shots from Ubi where the characters are much more strikingly realistic looking.

This really does put the "old gen" rubbish to bed.

There really is no comparison, Uncharted looks infinitely better...)
A hyperbolic argument like this just suggests you're too emotionally involved to be objective. The "old gen" rubbish is a subjective opinion from people with different perceptions.

Also, let's not forget the reveal quality.

UC4_2.png
UNCHARTED 4-A THIEF’S END.jpg

That was definitely 'Next gen' and got everyone excited, and set a very high standard. The end result, while nice, is a step down from that expectation. So from the colossal leap from PS3 to Uncharted and the progress to U3, we had a huge improvement that wowed. From UC3 to the UC4 reveal, we had a similar huge improvement that wowed (tiny twitchy facial animation, deforming sand, realistic shading, 60 fps, yada yada). Then from UC4 reveal to UC4 gameplay, we have a drop from expectations (created by ND) to reality. You can't really blame people for not being as excited for UC4's graphics as they were for UC.

a lot of incoming games are looking amazing, and have that CG feel in realtime, UC4, the order, quantum break etc...
It's a great time for gaming.
And i'm sure the next tomb raider will look amazing too.

I did not see any aliasing in that gameplay demo, i wonder what type of AA there are using. The same as infamous or even a better one ?

http://i.imgur.com/bCSjb4c.jpg

i fail to see a downgrade. Sure lighting is different, and he has no sand or blood injuries on his face, the rest looks the same to me.

Last edited:
A hyperbolic argument like this just suggests you're too emotionally involved to be objective. The "old gen" rubbish is a subjective opinion from people with different perceptions.

Also, let's not forget the reveal quality.

View attachment 476
View attachment 475

That was definitely 'Next gen' and got everyone excited, and set a very high standard. The end result, while nice, is a step down from that expectation. So from the colossal leap from PS3 to Uncharted and the progress to U3, we had a huge improvement that wowed. From UC3 to the UC4 reveal, we had a similar huge improvement that wowed (tiny twitchy facial animation, deforming sand, realistic shading, 60 fps, yada yada). Then from UC4 reveal to UC4 gameplay, we have a drop from expectations (created by ND) to reality. You can't really blame people for not being as excited for UC4's graphics as they were for UC.
I think you can blame those that say it's like a previous gen game to be honest. Maybe it doesn't look as good as the reveal (uncharted 1 didn't either until very late in the dev cycle if you remember) but a ps3 game?

Laughable in the extreme.

a lot of incoming games are looking amazing, and have that CG feel in realtime, UC4, the order, quantum break etc...
It's a great time for gaming.
And i'm sure the next tomb raider will look amazing too.

I did not see any aliasing in that gameplay demo, i wonder what type of AA there are using. The same as infamous or even a better one ?

http://i.imgur.com/bCSjb4c.jpg

i fail to see a downgrade. Sure lighting is different, and he has no sand or blood injuries on his face, the rest looks the same to me.

Other than the wet like shader effect (which makes even the ugliest characters and environments look good) that's going on, time/lighting setup and bruising... the models are exactly alike, IMHO. Heck, the screen-grab of his brother looks beyond anything presently on the consoles.

503d7a-1417962788.png

Maybe it doesn't look as good as the reveal (uncharted 1 didn't either until very late in the dev cycle if you remember) but a ps3 game?
Has anyone said it looks like it's running on PS3? It's been said it looks like Uncharted on PS3 - I've said that myself. Compare them side by side and clearly UC4 is better, but it's not obviously better in a way that some of us instantly recognise when compared to our memory of UC on PS3. No-one ever said UC looked like something on PS2 because it was so much better. The suggestion UC4 looks similar to the PS3 version is, IMO, proof of diminishing returns. Other games like Infamous with is wet streets and neon lighting look more next-gen and wow than UC4 which isn't offering anything of considerable contrast to the former games.

This doesn't mean UC4 is a bad game. It doesn't mean ND are lousy coders. It doesn't mean UC should be changed into a neon-city setting! It's just a personal observation. People are allowed to share their personal disappointment just as much as their personal excitement. ;) Quite a few folk looked at the E3 trailer and reckoned the game wouldn't look that advanced. I think they're right - the game looks like playing UC3 in better quality rather than playing a CGI quality game. Heck, I guess I was one of them. IIRC I said 60 fps with a very controlled, limited cutscene could allow a far prettier aesthetic than would probably be achieved in game, althgh I'd have certainly held of making an assumption and waited to see. Which I'll still do; my comments are regards the current shown build, not the final game!

but we have only seen 15min of UC4 in alpha form, infamous revealed all it's strength once released and played, with the help of photo mode.

Whatever their AA solution is I hope they release a paper on it soon so other devs can copy it.

Eh so disappointed. I am watching the gamersyde video at the highest quality. Eh...some effects are not far off from what we got on PS3. Even the grenade smoke appears to be 2D instead of volumetric.
I hope this is at least 60fps to cover for the "downgrade"
99% of all smoke effects this gen are and will be 2D still.

Has anyone said it looks like it's running on PS3? It's been said it looks like Uncharted on PS3 - I've said that myself. Compare them side by side and clearly UC4 is better, but it's not obviously better in a way that some of us instantly recognise when compared to our memory of UC on PS3. No-one ever said UC looked like something on PS2 because it was so much better. The suggestion UC4 looks similar to the PS3 version is, IMO, proof of diminishing returns. Other games like Infamous with is wet streets and neon lighting look more next-gen and wow than UC4 which isn't offering anything of considerable contrast to the former games.

This doesn't mean UC4 is a bad game. It doesn't mean ND are lousy coders. It doesn't mean UC should be changed into a neon-city setting! It's just a personal observation. People are allowed to share their personal disappointment just as much as their personal excitement. ;) Quite a few folk looked at the E3 trailer and reckoned the game wouldn't look that advanced. I think they're right - the game looks like playing UC3 in better quality rather than playing a CGI quality game. Heck, I guess I was one of them. IIRC I said 60 fps with a very controlled, limited cutscene could allow a far prettier aesthetic than would probably be achieved in game, althgh I'd have certainly held of making an assumption and waited to see. Which I'll still do; my comments are regards the current shown build, not the final game!
I agree totally with this. The lighting, shadows and water especially look a lot like U2 and U3.

This is not going to be 60Hz....at mos imot, something like Infamous Second Son...
Huh?

It's definitely not "last gen" visuals, but not as shockingly good as the Uncharted series was on PS3 in terms of visuals. I have a feeling, like Uncharted 2 on PS3, the second try on PS4 will be significantly better than this one. Diminishing returns are definitely a real thing, but there's still probably a lot of room to go from here.

99% of all smoke effects this gen are and will be 2D still.
Yes, although there was one spot in the video where it was quite obvious. There's 2D effects, and then there's "here's a single big surface with this texture we made."

TLoU's smoke bomb gives a similar impression.

Naughty Dog is a little inconsistent with getting an impression of volume from 2D effects. Sometimes they knock it out of the park, but you get a few major stinkers.

It's really wonderful what they have achieved with this upgraded " Uncharted engine " with the PS4. I believe they would ve made something even more impressive with a new brand engine, but that would just ve been a waste of ressources to spend and as the engine was mae specifically for the series or PS3 at the time they don't need a new engine before changing to a new IP maybe ? We ' ve seen the difference between AC Black Flag Engine and AC Unity. There's somewhat a gap between the two in some areas. If I remember lots of devs since last gen are using Engines made from the previous gen. Guerilla did with KZ SF. I believe they have a new engine for their new RPG-scifi game. Same for Santa Monica n maybe they ll use GOW Ascension's engine ?
Can't wait to see what ND could do with a new brand engine specifically made for PS4.

The main difference I see between the e3 Drake and the new gameplay Drake is the new Drake has considerably less detailed hair. Also the shirt texture is totally different. The E3 version looks like a high quality normal map, where the new shirt lacks a lot of detail. The lighting and shadowing are different, but the 2 demos are at a different time of day. The world or background looks similar between the 2 as far as assets go. It is still a pretty game even at 30fps in my opinion.

I've seen the Gamersyde clip quite a few times as quality is best. Personally think Naughty Dog are still targeting 60 fps but could not quite stabilise it for the demo hence the 30 fps.

Possibly one of the best anti-aliased PS4 games I've seen so far. The facial animation is superb and the quality of the sub-surface scattering (assuming they are using this) raises the bar higher than anything else. Really stunning work here.

The foliage is really nice (although Crysis 3 did this) it's nice to see here and being able to use for stealthy gameplay.

The A.I has advanced further, sound is plentiful and character anaimation has been increased so more an evolution along with the typical 1080p resolution, higher geometry (apparently silhouette edge based tessellation is used) and higher quality textures.

I'd be a satisfied customer.

but we have only seen 15min of UC4 in alpha form, infamous revealed all it's strength once released and played, with the help of photo mode.
*slaps forehead*. That goes without saying. The views expressed are relevant to what's shown only and not the final product. Views are subject to change as the product does. Infamous still looked 'head and shoulders above Infamous on PS3' from the outset. As did UC4 in the teaser.

Shifty, did you watch the gamersyde HQ vid with corrected color? Just curious which version you have seen...
Not colour corrected version, but that doesn't really make a difference. My complaints weren't centred on a lack of contrast. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back