New 4K monitor with a 'lag' issue I can't figure out...

Berek

Regular
I thought 4K would be the next best thing to get, but I've discovered a strange fault in the model I purchased (Acer B286HK). I'm experiencing a strange ghosting affect. It's not the classic sub-60hz delay that would be one's first guess, as the affect in Windows and games does not appear on the other monitors that are hooked up to the machine that also run the same hz rate.

Take Civilization V as a good example, or scrolling through black text against a website background on a website. When viewing a dark area against a much lighter colored area and dragging the screen, the black smears a few millimeters behind, as if it's delayed. The same goes for when a white background has dark text scrolling over it, there is a whiter smear into the white area.

I don't even have to drag the mouse all that quickly for the affect to be noticed. The more I do notice it though, the more annoying and further noticeable it becomes...

I did try to record the affect to see if it was something other than the monitor as seen below. There was only the smear affect when viewing the recording on the 4K monitor, all others the recording looks fine (those monitors DID exhibit the classic low hz drag that isn't the 'smear' I'm talking about).

I recorded this on a camera pointing at the monitor:
http://youtu.be/l7MrXr-fLbc

What about "OverDrive"? I was reading about that. The only problem is that the monitor doesn't seem to have the option.

Windows reports: "3840 by 2160, True Color (32 bit), 60 Hertz"

Any ideas on what this might be would be great to know! Thanks guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
It look effectively like reverse ghosting, extreme ghosting... but with a 2 ms GtG monitor it should not look like that. ( even with extreme overdrive )

Check setting under "TraceFree" or something similar ( on mine it is called Tracefree ), "sharpness" with too high effect can look like that..

The setting is maybe not called "overdrive", it can be linked to a specific mode for the monitor. ( Game mode etc )... This remind me an really old 22" that i have own.. on the ultra fast mode, it was perfect for gaming, but on desktop it was an horror due to the overdrive )

Install the driver too. ( windows and gpu driver tend to keep old monitor informations sometimes and when you wire the monitor they use the old information )

Contact Acer maybe .

Ok, thanks guys. I found a driver to try and install, but it said that the INF was not digitally signed... anyway I can get around that to install this driver (or is this a disaster waiting to happen)?

Thanks

Ok, thanks guys. I found a driver to try and install, but it said that the INF was not digitally signed...

I would not install a driver that is not signed, if I were you... unless you developed it, that is.

And if it comes from ACER site itself, then mail them how terribly unprofessional they are.

Agreed with frustration that I don't know if there's any other way to resolve this problem and disable the stupid OverDrive.

Don't these monitors, and most monitors at least, have a service menu you can access somehow? Maybe that has the setting within it.

Agreed with frustration that I don't know if there's any other way to resolve this problem and disable the stupid OverDrive.

Don't these monitors, and most monitors at least, have a service menu you can access somehow? Maybe that has the setting within it.

I just got this monitor and have the exact same problem. There are very few options available in the normal settings menu and none of them improve the issue. Some Acer monitors have a service menu where you can disable Overdrive that's accessible by holding down the leftmost button while power cycling the monitor. That unfortunately doesn't seem to work on this monitor. The trained monkeys handling Acer chat support were no help. They only told me it was a hardware problem and I needed to pay to send it in to them to look at. When I asked if there was a way to access the service menu, they kept telling me they couldn't send me a service manual. Sigh. If anyone figures out how to access it, please let me know.

Serious reverse ghosting, that's horrible, I have some on one of my screens, was really annoying playing F.E.A.R. with all the high contrast stuff (white ladder on dark concrete)...

I never purhase a screen before checking the review on digitalversus, as its one of the rare website to check ghosting, colorimetry and stuff...

Unless you have an OverDrive menu you're pretty much stuck :(

Back