Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Initial trailer was cinematics and those do look super nice. It wasn't reasonable to expect the same quality in gameplay. Just look at the Order, cinematics and interactive scenes are night and day.
They aren't though are they. The Order is far closer in that department. And the cut-scenes are in-engine, so it normally can be assumed that gameplay can be comparable.

All those developers who clamored for unified memory was a mistake this generation. Sure developers were calling for it, and sure it simplifies development complexity a little bit, and improves flexibility of memory allocation, however the performance degradation on both consoles is going to hurt the entire industry. But when you have many gamers saying the graphics improvements in games is not enough to entice them to upgrade to the next system (until later in the cycle when the console prices come down), and aren't enticed to buy the HD remake or the nextgen sequel, that hurts the entire industry. Look in the comment section of the trailer, a number of the commentors are unimpressed with he visual improvement, alot of which could have been improved with higher texture detail.

Do the reduced development costs offered by unified memory really offset a loss in sales from those who don't buy the new console (or hold off on buying a number of titles from a select developer) and new titles because they are unimpressed with the visual improvement

Graphics are a major selling point. Graphics were a major selling point for the original Xbox and helped it establish a foothold vs the titan of gaming PS2 despite Xbox having a smaller selection of great games compared to PS2.

Unified memory not only can impact image quality, but limit framerate, and what cpu run code due to bandwidth constraints.

Last edited:
I liked the more opened approach to the level. The new close combat moves look nice too. The only downside for me is the climbing animation. And yeah the lighting too seemed a lil bit odd but well pre alpha they said.

lBXkdbf.jpg
As if I wasnt waiting for this to happen. Such a huge difference in geometry, shadows and lighting.

Wow, just wow...
https://6de44f0b2ad64bd5ac6370eddd5...om/host/0BwB9-qGxxzjAV0djUi1fN0MyQWc/uc4g.gif
Even the hair of Drake got wet and flattens when in contact with the water. Also after that sequence when he punches the guy you can see some splash effects. this really looked like an old build maybe or early graphical stage of development. We always saw improvements coming. Would love to hear some news about Corinne Yu.
At the beginning of the video you can see the change of the model when he turns his back to see the environment. the details change drastically on the hair behind his neck.

As if I wasnt waiting for this to happen. Such a huge difference in geometry, shadows and lighting.

Well a lot of people thought the E3 teaser was " in real-time ". it was " in-engine " but certainly not real time I believe.

Eh so disappointed. I am watching the gamersyde video at the highest quality. Eh...some effects are not far off from what we got on PS3. Even the grenade smoke appears to be 2D instead of volumetric.
I hope this is at least 60fps to cover for the "downgrade"

Initial trailer was cinematics and those do look super nice. It wasn't reasonable to expect the same quality in gameplay. Just look at the Order, cinematics and interactive scenes are night and day.

Sorry but what ? The order cinematics and gameplay are night and day? Ready at Dawn have stated multiple times that there's no difference at all between cutscene and gameplay in that game. :/
I'm blind because i can't see it O___O

I have to be honest. Graphics looks good. But considering this is uncharted and they gave a diplomatic response at E3 that the initial trailer was representative of the final game I feel underwhelmed. It is not as outstanding looking as what the PS3 games were at their time.
I also heard that the developers confirmed the demo was indeed 1080p at 30fps. Which is a huge far cry from their original promise.

my eyes deceiving me or what... im sure that video is 30 fps, even stutter when waterfall comes to view but how can sometimes it looks so smooth, like in 60fps?

gotta try watch this on phone to make sure there's no post process messing up with me.

EDUT:
now they stream the game world? theres a pop in in minute 11+ rock in far left.

Last edited:
From reading the last two pages in this thread, I can't tell if some people are joking or making some very uninformed comments.

Watching the high-bitrate 1080p video, I can tell that graphics are awesome, unlike anything I've seen so far on any console.

Okey wow, the foliage really is the next level than anything that's out there. The scale is also immense while keeping the density of foliage and the level design sure looked much more accessible than previous Uncharted games. The character models looked insane from the flawless smoothed mesh to the tiny texture details shown on the face, their muscle looked almost real which must thanks to some cool simulation going on there. The lighting as awesome as it looks right now, does not match up to the reveal trailer, but it's still easily one of the best I've seen. Especially considering cutscene and gameplay now looked exactly the same. I remember UC1 gone under a serious graphical boost at release, so I wouldn't be surprised the same could happen again, it is pre alpha after all, and games like KZSF, DC, Infamous all went through a nice visual boost since their reveal.
Also have to mention currently The Order looks better to me whether due to being more complete or smaller scale, but I have faith in ND to surpass it by release.

People just got some false expectations, game still looks amazing. What they've shown so far has been this series most open environment to date, also Uncharted has always used a very wide FOV compared to most TPS claustrophobic settings on consoles, that's taxing too. The way they managed to push so much foliage is amazing, and it's properly anti aliased to boot, no excessive shimmering as seen on other games. Sure there are some rough spots, but ND had to appease the fans and release some footage even at this stage, I'm sure ND will polish it as they continue working on the game.

watched it on phone. and the trailer do looks like 60 fps (with some stutters in a few places) although its only 30 fps.

it seems whatever frame blending/blurring/stuff they do, really fit the way my brain construct/perceive/see image :D

Watched on youtube, the initial part felt okay-ish and not what we were looking for but the second half with the firefight was amazing level design, super dynamic AI and fabulous characters all rolled into one smooth package ! If the AI actually behaves like that in the final game, and is not scripted just for the demo, then WOW !

Character's faces look like CG now and move smoothly et all.
What is also very impressive is the IQ. I was playing FC4 last nght and thanx to the absolutely clean IQ, even with those quality assets it looked pretty much like CG , especially during night. I am sure this will look even more so, considering its not a cross gen title and not an open world game either. Not to mention its from ND.

Whats tands out most is the subtle physics animations on objects like belts of guns, the fabulous IQ, the fantastic faces, the super dynamic AI and fantastic gameplay !

Last edited:
But I can't believe anyone calling it last gen like , lol, :p ! DId u see that face right at the beginning of the demo ? Did you ? :D and the vista and the foliage and the whole firefight ! Much wow !

Last edited:
Just downloaded the Gamersyde video and watched the first few seconds and uhhh... why are the blacks gray and the picture so washed out? Looks like they didn't match their RGB levels on their capture equipment. In fact, I'm 100% positive they didn't because if I set my TV to RGB Limited, it looks correct.

I'm gonna see if I can re-encode the video using the proper levels.

Even though the picture looks washed out from incorrect RGB levels, are you guys serious that this looks last gen? I mean seriously? As a package, this is some of the best stuff I've seen on console.

Last edited:
Just downloaded the Gamersyde video and watched the first few seconds and uhhh... why are the blacks gray and the picture so washed out? Looks like they didn't match their RGB levels on their capture equipment. In fact, I'm 100% positive they didn't because if I set my TV to RGB Limited, it looks correct.

I'm gonna see if I can re-encode the video using the proper levels.

Even though the picture looks washed out from incorrect RGB levels, are you guys serious that this looks last gen? I mean seriously? As a package, this is some of the best stuff I've seen on console.
my tv and phone auto level the image... so i dont really know its washed out or not :(

btw if you upload it.. can you also encode it in x264 Q19 ?
it will be very helpful for my internet sanity :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back