Monopoly Plus. The classic monopoly game is back! Release date (USA, EU, UK): 26th November 2014.

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
I recently purchased this game and hadn't seen a thread devoted to it so I decided to create one because the game certainly deserves it.

For those who know how to play Monopoly (or by extension, other classic games such as Hotel) :) this is a very fun game, and up to 6 players can play at the same time. A perfect game for families.

I purchased this game to play it with my girlfriend (long story short, yes I recently got a girlfriend, quite miraculously (I feel lucky, happened in the most unexpected circumstances), not only she is my type, but she is also one of the best people I've ever known in this world, meeting her made me find what self-realization means, I thought I was different/confused at times, but no..it's not so uncommon but anyways, that's besides the point) and I am happy with what this game offers.

There aren't a lot of reviews online, but Metacritic has one from an expert Monopoly player (diggerdig, a good read):

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/monopoly-plus

630x.jpg

630x.jpg

630x.jpg

630x.jpg

630x.jpg
ç

I am not sure about which platforms the game was released on -I got the X1 version-, but I think it is a multiplatform game and one I'd wholeheartedly recommend to play with friends or your family.

Last edited:
You can't beat an actual board. How else are you supposed to steal opponents money and sneak hotels on the board without them noticing!?!

Last year there was an announcement of Hasbro Game Channel. it even got an update this August:

This sounds like they've broken up the Channel idea into discrete products?

You wanna play a digital board-like game, play M.U.L.E. the best of all. It has the best of monopoly without any of the worst.

I saw this a while ago on PS4 PSN store I think? Not sure. I didn't consider it to be worthwhile then, but I see it has second screen support, and it could be an interesting test for that

You can't beat an actual board. How else are you supposed to steal opponents money and sneak hotels on the board without them noticing!?!
hah, that's very creative of you. I wonder if you can use those cheeky methods on the game too, 'cos well I know how to play Monopoly but I am better at Hotel and the like.

Still...you can always grab their controller when they go to the bathroom or whatever. :D

Strange. It's an Xbox (One and 360), exclusive? Of all things to be exclusive, I would not have expected Monopoly. :D

Regards,
SB
I thought so, but it wasn't confirmed anywhere, so I left it at that, but Dsoup's post confirmed the non exclusivity. I don't see the reason for this game not to be multiplatform anyways. And I wonder if it came out to the WiiU, but Ubisoft seem to have dropped any support they have for the Nintendo's console.

Regards!
Last year there was an announcement of Hasbro Game Channel. it even got an update this August:

This sounds like they've broken up the Channel idea into discrete products?
Hmm . . . I'd rather prefer if they sold the game like that, because it cost 30€ and I wouldn't call that price cheap to be honest. Some of the games sound unfamiliar, but everyone knows Trivial Pursuit for instance. That would be a huge plus.

Additionally, while I know the basic rules of Monopoly, I am no expert, so I expect to be in the poverty line in the first games. :D So having some other games featured in the bundle wouldn't hurt.

You wanna play a digital board-like game, play M.U.L.E. the best of all. It has the best of monopoly without any of the worst.
I don't know what M.U.L.E. is and googling it brings results about some strategy game from the 80s? If the game were at GoG I'd like to give it a try.

I don't know what M.U.L.E. is and googling it brings results about some strategy game from the 80s? If the game were at GoG I'd like to give it a try.
Yes, it's a strategy game, and it's damn fun. Not by yourself, but with a couple other players. Try the Atari XL version of Mule (via an emulator, obviously), it has the hottest early-80s graphics. :)

Does the ps4 versions support online play?

The trailer Shifty linked only mentions Risk being online.

These games would make more sense for iPads (with online play)than consoles. Unless they wanted to be able to charge more than a couple of bucks,

Still play Risk clones on iPad every day. Might have to get a Vita for Remote Play if there's a big online following for these games on the PS4.

There's also some mention about being able to do some things on a phone or tablet too. Is there some companion app?

I just bought this as kids are just starting to get old enough. It's 1-6 local (can assign controllers or not) or 2-6 online. So that's in. Apparently you can manage your money and possessions with a companion app or using the Playstation 2nd Screen App, still have to try. There seem to be customisation options for rules as well. I'll test some stuff and report back.

Thanks, also try Remote Play if you can?

WOnder how long online games would take. If there are long turn limits, it might not be so great for consoles. Turn-based iPad games take hours or sometimes days so would you have to keep the PS4 on that long or just play a few turns here and there and keep the console off in-between turns?

EA put out a bunch of iOS Monopoly games but none of them feature online and they haven't been updated in a long time. Maybe Hasbro will take these to tablets, which might make more sense for these games.

The video showed Risk and Trivia Pursuit, neither of which are available on mobile devices with online play. Again, these are more turn-based games so they could take a long time, would make more sense on mobile devices or even the Vita more than home consoles.

Ubisoft made this. It seems very competent. I just played a game against three very easy opponents (you can choose how many AI, and difficulty for each) and it can take a while, even offline. Second Screen uses the integrated Playstation App's second screen option and works a treat, although one or two things could be more obvious. It's also easy to see how it works - it's basically an HTML5 website / app hosted by or downloaded from the PS4 as far as I can tell, as the iPad's Copy functionality still worked. I really like this because now I can basically play with my son and another kid or wife, and we can cooperate to try to beat the AI opponents before or even without bothering to beat each other. ;)

It also supports the PS Camera, taking screenshots of each player, and allowing you to add a shot whenever you are the first to achieve something (like first house, first street, first hotel, etc.)

Biggest gripe perhaps for me personally is that the voices are English, even when playing in Dutch and all the text are Dutch.

Yeah, if you don't buy a property you land on for the asking price an auction kicks in. Nice and speeds up the game a bit.

Back