Looking for new primary display

I'm probably quite far from being a twitch gamer and I think the last multiplayer game I played on a PC was Red Alert 1 :)

I will wait a bit and Philips isn't even in stores yet. It's a pity that the TV-models doesn't come with the same inputs as the monitors. Remote and a tuner would be nice additions and they are much cheaper also. a 4K 40" philips is €579 vs €849 (pre-order) for this monitor currently. Next year should be good for 4K and more GPU power would be nice too. edit: Actually I'm quite good with the GPU power, but I'm really nervous with the 3GB that these have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazon's customer service is pretty sweet. They actually offered for me to send it back with no shipping cost to me and then re-order it to get the free game. So that's exactly what I did. They've already refunded my cc for the first board after I dropped it off at a local UPS store this morning.

Newegg would've been all "that'll be $8 to ship it back, and $50 for restocking fees."

This new LG display seems fairly interesting.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025007

Ditches all legacy ports (DVI, D-sub) in favor of HDMI and DP. 4k resolution. But at this point I'm wanting something larger in a 4k monitor. My eyes are getting old and that'd make things hard to read without increasing text size which then has adverse effects on my other monitors. Too bad you can't do independant scaling on monitors rather than one setting for all monitors.

Regards,
SB

Yeah, I'd be interested in the 40" model. PPI should be relatively similar to my 30" which means I wouldn't have to enable text scaling to make things readable for me. Would love to go higher PPI, but that would mean having to replace ALL of my monitors which I'm not sure I'm ready to do.

Regards,
SB

Amazon has the Acer XB280HK 28" 4k panel for $720 (Newegg still lists it at $799), so I pulled the trigger on it. If I don't like it, I'll just return it, Amazon has a great policy on returns. Doubt my 970 can drive newer games like DA: Inquisition at that resolution, but I'll have plenty of options to balance IQ and performance. First thought is to drop the res down to 1920x1080, turn on DSR at 1.5x, and that should let me max out in-game options. It's playing just fine maxed out at 2560x1600 on my old Dell 3007.

Tempting for that price. $809 at Amazon, half-tempted to buy one and compare it against this Acer display that I spent today tweaking (a single 970 barely cuts it at 4k in newer games, but I will say that so long as the frame rate stays above 30fps it feels smooth).

A 25" 21:9 display would be too small vertically. The problem with going from old 4:3 to 16:9 and then 21:9 in this case is that you need to go much larger than the previous AR to retain the same vertical. My wife's 27" 16:9 is about the same height as my 34" 21:9.

I figured as much. The 29" model for $300 free shipping does seem like a worthy option IMO. I'm on a 23" 16:9 1080p screen, and by my rough calculations a 29" 21:9 screen would be a bit taller and a lot wider. I could easily live with that.

Returned the Acer 4k panel today. 4k is too hard on my eyes for browsing and reading, the 970 drove it fine in most games, but the real kicker was that the panel started developing this really weird horizontal oblong ring of light bleed in its middle after two weeks of use.

So I'm back on the market. Tempted to try the LG 34UM95 ultra-wide but I think I'll wait until after the holidays and see what's on the horizon. Definitely staying away from TN panels though, going back to my Dell 3007 makes me really see the difference.

Returned the Acer 4k panel today. 4k is too hard on my eyes for browsing and reading

I'm guessing this was Windows? I have a retina Mac, OS X works really quite well and text looks lovely at hi-DPI, much easier on my ageing eyes. Running a Win 7 virtual machine on it though, even with fonts scaled to 125% it is just painful. So my next choice for my primary desktop is - skip 4k, or switch to Mac. Maybe Windows 10 will solve this problem.

Yep, Windows.

The LG 34" is going for $850 on Amazon today. Tempting.

Edit: Woke up this morning and it's now $809.

Last edited:
I'm guessing this was Windows? I have a retina Mac, OS X works really quite well and text looks lovely at hi-DPI, much easier on my ageing eyes. Running a Win 7 virtual machine on it though, even with fonts scaled to 125% it is just painful. So my next choice for my primary desktop is - skip 4k, or switch to Mac. Maybe Windows 10 will solve this problem.

Windows 8 (8.1 ) allready solve it... Windows 7 have never been done for High DPI in mind.

Got me a humble Dell U2412M today ... quite pleased with it though. Next panel will probably be a 4K one, but for now I have a 27" and a 24" next to each other and that gives a lot of view ;)

Screen is a bit overkill because I'm finding I'm having to set it to 20/100 brightness for normal programming work, but hey at least it does then also use less power. ;)

Also the built in USB hub is really convenient for me.

Another reason for me to buy it was that very few other screens were height-adjustable, which is something I've found to be incredibly pleasant.

Well I got myself a new multipurpose display as well... I previously had a projector, 55" TV and a monitor. I'll probably move the monitor to kitchen and got a 75" 1080p for my living room for a decent price. I already sold my 55" and hopefully someone buys the projector soon. I was supposed to hold on to my previous setup for quite a bit longer, but I somehow grew a bit tired playing around with the cables and the 55" was a bit too small for some of the tasks it had and the projector required darkness, so I figured that I'll consolidate everything to this one display. So far it feels great. I'm viewing it from 3 meters and feel like the resolution is enough. Could still use a few more inches on 2.35:1 movies, but on 16:9 content it's perfect. I think the picture quality is all around pretty good, and I like the second remote controller that came with it, it has a touch pad and motion tracker, so it's a bit like Wii mote and browsing menus is intuitive with it.

The TV-stand is 240 cm wide.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Last edited:
Back