Forum Software Change!

In l-b's original post, the colour was set to black either on paste in to the box, or using the editor. It's not black by fault of the theme, it's black by l-b's choice (including by accident of course).

The post doesn't have font BBCode, but it does have a color BBCode block.
Was that visible to you in advanced edit? I tried that and didn't see any 'color' tags to remove.

I want the old smiles/emoticons back.
:yep2: emoticon was the only way for me to say something intelligent on this forum!
I need it back.

Last edited:
I'll work on the smilies either tomorrow night or the weekend, I miss them too.

Nice work, Rys!

But is there any chance for a blue-grey style like the previous forum used to have? Or for AD Styler to be able to change the main colours and fonts? As it is, it only seems to be able to change marginal stuff.

I'll see if there's a way to modify AD Styler to support that, rather than create yet another theme. Each theme has a maintenance overhead which I'd like to avoid.

More flexible AD Styler configuration is now on the list.

Rys, can you change the behavior of the links showing up in the main forum to go to the last unread post, and not the last post? May be I am the only one missing this, but it was very convenient on the previous version to just click on the last written topic and go to the last unread post and then traverse the relevant subforum. Right now I have to first click on the subforum and then click on the topic itself to go the the last unread.

You have to mark the forums as read first, so the new software can figure out where you are and give you accurate jump links to the last unread post.

@Rys , some users are reporting inability to post on the forums such as @Arwin . I can't examine permissions to determine if its a secondary group issue overriding normal group or what.

The forum software had marked his account's email address as invalid (by the bounce processor). I'll check for other accounts in the same state.

You have to mark the forums as read first, so the new software can figure out where you are and give you accurate jump links to the last unread post.
Oh, I've already done that like a week ago. It redirects me correctly when I am in a specific subforum (say PC Games) and click on a thread with new messages. But the link of the thread is then something like beyond3d/thread_name-thread_nr/unread. What I am talking about is when I am in forum.beyond3d.com and it shows what is the most recently posted in thread, the link is directly to the post which is most recent. Previously this was not so - it actually redirected to the last unread post, not the most recent one. However since I seem to be the only one complaining either that is a problem only on my end (although I also clicked "Marked Forums Read" again the check and it still so) or no one else seems to care about this :) Now I know that this doesn't sound like much of a hassle, but it still is one additional redirection even if I actually want to read the most recent thread, but don't want to skip all new entries. Especially for forums like the Console one, where you also have multiple subforums and don't know where that thread is to go directly there.

Oh, I see what you mean now. I'll definitely take a look at that as soon as I can.

Oh, I've already done that like a week ago. It redirects me correctly when I am in a specific subforum (say PC Games) and click on a thread with new messages. But the link of the thread is then something like beyond3d/thread_name-thread_nr/unread. What I am talking about is when I am in forum.beyond3d.com and it shows what is the most recently posted in thread, the link is directly to the post which is most recent. Previously this was not so - it actually redirected to the last unread post, not the most recent one. However since I seem to be the only one complaining either that is a problem only on my end (although I also clicked "Marked Forums Read" again the check and it still so) or no one else seems to care about this :) Now I know that this doesn't sound like much of a hassle, but it still is one additional redirection even if I actually want to read the most recent thread, but don't want to skip all new entries. Especially for forums like the Console one, where you also have multiple subforums and don't know where that thread is to go directly there.

It works correctly for me [New Posts = https://forum.beyond3d.com/find-new/posts ]. It always takes me to last unread. I only had to do the initial mark all forums read once. Make certain when you do the mark forums read you're doing it for all forums and not just a forum or subforum. Also make certain your browser remembers cookies when you login.

For Arwin's problem, the bounce processing log shows it just affects him. Are there any other users affected that have reported a problem?

It works correctly for me [New Posts = https://forum.beyond3d.com/find-new/posts ]. It always takes me to last unread. I only had to do the initial mark all forums read once. Make certain when you do the mark forums read you're doing it for all forums and not just a forum or subforum. Also make certain your browser remembers cookies when you login.
Yep that works, but I meant not from the "New Posts" tab, but from the actual main page, i.e. https://forum.beyond3d.com

Yep that works, but I meant not from the "New Posts" tab, but from the actual main page, i.e. https://forum.beyond3d.com

Yeah, I doubt that will be possibly to point to latest unread since that is different for each user and thus would prevent that forum page from being cached between users. But it's been some time since I looked through the settings and XF is quite configurable. I just wouldn't hold out hope for that switching behaviors.

Could we have the old smileys back please, the new ones look so wonky... (Also, flappy-upper-lip LOL emoticon is MIA. :()

Back