New Ubisoft games pulled from Steam

Devil's advocate? Wouldn't competition mean the games are available at all stores? Then we could choose where we want to but them.

EA has said they would love to be on Steam but Valve will not allow them. Same with Minecraft.

(Note that I do not have a problem with that. Steam has the right to put of whatever rules they want.)

Steam is more than just a store. The majority of my game time is now on the couch via steam's big picture mode. Steam also has very functional remote rendering support. The other guys are overmatched.

I also think that competition sucks!
Competition is fine (I just don't care, because I'm lazy and stupid like that), but I don't see how it benefits ME when Company X pulls their games from the steam store. Maybe you could tell me?

EA having their games on steam AND on on origin is fine, I'll buy it from steam, and just decline using origin. When they don't offer their stuff via steam, they can do without my money. It has nothing to do with not liking competition.

If anything, EA is the one who's against competition when they monopolize their games. (Valve does the same too, I believe, not that one justifies the other...)

The problem is that many people don't like Uplay and I can foresee lots of piracy, or serious attempts of hacking Ubisoft titles from now on
People who don't like Uplay didn't have Ubisoft games on Steam before now, because they all fired up Uplay anyway (bar very few exceptions - only Blood Dragon and South Park spring to mind).

So there's no difference.

Unless you only buy your games on the Steam store!

I don't have any problems using different stores or software, but I do have problem paying 60€ for the PC download when I can grab the physical copy for 45€ and unlock the digital copy with that. Far Cry 4 is the one that interests me here, I'll probably get it after a while when the GPU tie in vouchers start to flood the marketplaces and I can get it for around 25€.

Is that true? I thought EA just stopped releasing their new games on Steam by their own choice, since many of their old games are still on Steam.

Steam wouldn't let EA sell DLC they way EA wanted to. Also, why does everybody bring up EA (and now UBI) instead of Minecraft?

I don't have any problems using different stores or software, but I do have problem paying 60€ for the PC download when I can grab the physical copy for 45€ and unlock the digital copy with that. Far Cry 4 is the one that interests me here, I'll probably get it after a while when the GPU tie in vouchers start to flood the marketplaces and I can get it for around 25€.

Not to be rude, but it seems like you do not actually have any problem at all...

There is a difference between "usually" (groceries) and (in essence) "never" (games from other stores than Steam). If people want competition between stores they have to buy from different stores.

I don't have to do anything to foster competition. Noone can force me to buy something from a place I don't want to buy it.

Competition was fostered when EA allowed their games to be sold at Steam, their own store which wasn't called Origin at the time, and other electronic venues.

Competition was stifled as soon as EA removed their products from the Steam store limiting consumer choice.

And usually applies to Steam as well. I've bought games through the humble bundle store (redeemable on Steam) and Amazon (redeemable on Steam) and Newegg (redeemable on steam). Just like I usually buy my groceries from the same store and rarely bother to go to others.

But I ALWAYS keep my groceries in the same place (my house). Just like I ALWAYS keep my games in the same place (Steam). I personally like to have my games in a nice central location. I do get annoyed with publishers having secondary launchers like uPlay. But I can somewhat tolerate it as long as my games are centrally located.

Regards,
SB

Competition was fostered when EA allowed their games to be sold at Steam, their own store which wasn't called Origin at the time, and other electronic venues.

Competition was stifled as soon as EA removed their products from the Steam store limiting consumer choice.

EA is not allowed to sell its games the way EA wants to sell them on Steam. Just like Minecraft (which is never mentioned when people complain about other games stores than Steam).

EA is not allowed to sell its games the way EA wants to sell them on Steam. Just like Minecraft (which is never mentioned when people complain about other games stores than Steam).

Sure and I have no plans on buying Minecraft either. Same will go for UBIsoft games if it gets applied. And any other games that aren't available on Steam. I'm not sure what the point is by bringing up Minecraft? BTW - I'm guessing that should change at some point in the future as it is now a Microsoft IP and Microsoft sell their games through Steam.

Regards,
SB

Valve been very very good to me. EA, Ubisoft not so much. So I'll buy my games from Steam thanks.

Also (almost) all my games and friends are on Steam. Switching platforms for different games is a pita.

All Blizzard games?

That remains the one exception, and I'm not sure how long that will last. I no longer play that disappointment of a game Diablo III (haven't touched it for over 8 months now). And after the next Starcraft installment, I'll likely stop buying Blizzard games and throw away my Blizzard account.

I've already basically thrown away my UBIsoft account which had Farcry 3 on it because I don't want to bother with having my games in multiple locations. As well as any other alternate outlet for software that I own. So, as far as I'm concerned it's only a matter of time before I stop using my Blizzard account.

Regards,
SB

I'll buy and play my game through whatever platform proves cheaper to said game, as long as it works.

I'm a consumer, not a paid representative.

I'll buy and play my game through whatever platform proves cheaper to said game, as long as it works.

I generally agree, but I find that Steamworks adds some small value to games (ease of cataloguing, playing with friends, Big Picture, trading cards etc) so I would pay slightly more for them.

Settled for Watch_Dogs for US$7.42 on Uplay this week, as the Steam version adds nothing to it. Would have paid $8 for a Steamworks version! ;)

So right not "the one exception" is everything from Blizzard, EA, UBI, Minecraft and GOG?

Huh? One exception. And as soon as I finish the Starcraft II trilogy, it'll be no exception. All of my games will be accessed via Steam. I haven't even started the Blizzard Client in about 8 months now as I'd rather not bother with it.

I'll have my games accessed from the most convenient place. For me that happens to be Steam. For other people that may not be the case.

Regards,
SB

Back