All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll just say, that I am happy to see that Xbox One sales seem to have increased. It's important that they do. Anything other than a moderate success for the Xbox would be bad for the industry IMO. We don't want one of the console makers to feel forced to launch another console early because of lack of success in the current one.
Oh come on. It wasnt as if the XB1 was a failure. It was selling well. Just not as good as the competition

I never said it was. ;)

Was the original Xbox a failure? Not in the sense, that it established market presence and paved the way for a very successful X360, but it only sold 25 million units compared to the PS2 which sold over 85-100 million within roughly the same time span (5-6 years).

I'd say the verdict is still out on how successfull both these consoles will be 3-4 years down the road, but one thing is for sure; The Xbox One has a lot of catching up to do. Sales tend to snowball. Lack of sales at the beginning of a generation could have a greater impact towards the middle or end of the cycle, because more mainstream consumers (with little bindings to past consoles) tend to get what ever is considered the popular choice. PS4 is pulling away from a worldwide point of view and is ahead in Xbox's most important and biggest market (NA). If the Xbox One fails to get back a substantial part of their market they held with the X360, I'd say that the odds are quite high that Microsoft might seek to bring an earlier than usual next gen console, which I think would be bad for the business as a whole.

The question is; what kind of a userbase is Microsoft looking at to achieve 3-4 years down the road, to consider it not a failure? 20? 25? 30? 40? 50 million? We have no idea how sales will carry on, but it's encouraging that sales are picking up (relative to the PS4).

It's a pity that MS still hasn't offered any good deals in Europe, but I managed to get an Xbox One today for 249€ at a large chain opening a new store in Finland. They had lot's of good deals on various products. 249€ is pretty sweet :) Didn't get any games for it yet though and none was bundled.

249 euro??? Damn!

Yeah not bad at all :), they also had PS4s for 299€, the "old" iPad Airs for 249€ and Macbook Air for 699€ (latest model) Very good deals on other products as well. People were lining up there early. I went in about 3h after opening and didn't have to stand in line too long, about 15 minutes to get into the store and another 15-20 minutes to get out, not bad and I had other business around that area anyway, I even managed to squeeze both activities to under 1 hour so I got to use the same tram ticket for the return trip as well. A good day to be a cheap bastard!

Isn't he hook that Microsoft are selling to retailers at discounted rates for a restricted window. If I were a retailer, knowing I could shift Xbox One stock eventually, perhaps outside of the sale window where your margin will then be higher, I'd be strongly motivated to buy cheap stock.
So far they are saying this is price is timed to specific dates. That being the case the retailer prices are likely the same, with rebates coming from PoS numbers. The funds that are used to do this transaction may even be classified as a "marketing" expense leaving the reported margin of the hardware the same as the sell-in prices are the same.

So far they are saying this is price is timed to specific dates. That being the case the retailer prices are likely the same, with rebates coming from PoS numbers. The funds that are used to do this transaction may even be classified as a "marketing" expense leaving the reported margin of the hardware the same as the sell-in prices are the same.

Ah ok, I don't know how US retail works. Then not much hook other than genuine demand.

It's a pity that MS still hasn't offered any good deals in Europe, but I managed to get an Xbox One today for 249€ at a large chain opening a new store in Finland. They had lot's of good deals on various products. 249€ is pretty sweet :) Didn't get any games for it yet though and none was bundled.
How's that even possible?????

http://viikkotarjoukset.gigantti.fi/Forum/

Page 5 on that brochure :) if it works. They had 300 Xbox Ones, 500 PS4s and so many other great deals that I was sure they'll have Xbox Ones left even if I arrive only three hours after the opening (as most people are after other items) . Plenty of both consoles left when I got there. Often when a chain opens a new store, there are some great deals, but yeah this was pretty good.

WHY AM I IN THE WRONG COUNTRY??? Those prices are AWESOME!!!!
Its mind boggling how they could sell that low. I know from a friend that retailers barely get any profit from a console sold

Microsoft had just shipped around 7million consoles end of september. Lets say they actually had sold 6 million to consumers so USA would be little over 50% of total. They will not get to 10 million to consumers until next year

For some reason MS is not aggressive in PALland at all. They should have more room with euro prices

WHY AM I IN THE WRONG COUNTRY??? Those prices are AWESOME!!!!
Its mind boggling how they could sell that low. I know from a friend that retailers barely get any profit from a console sold

Its just a marketing cost for opening a new store to get publicity

Last edited:
The whole "we will soon be at 10mil shipped" is IMO, PR bullshit. They have just thrown that number now because they want to appear strong. No one can prove how much they have sold, bump in US alone will not save them, and no one can put too big heat on MS for shitty PR because "soon" is a very relative term.

Its actually a financially material comment, at worst it should signal "within the next 45 days" as if their financial report gave any indications that wasn't the case then they would be on the hook for it. It is not inconceivable as the distribution channel quantity is much larger based on the relatively recent launch in the missing markets so the number isn't solely associated with the US sales bump.

The whole "we will soon be at 10mil shipped" is IMO, PR bullshit. They have just thrown that number now because they want to appear strong. No one can prove how much they have sold, bump in US alone will not save them, and no one can put too big heat on MS for shitty PR because "soon" is a very relative term.

Pretty much, anything coming from Yusef makes me cringe.

Yeah that's typical PR, showing great creativity with words by implying something that's not entirely true while still being factually truthful. In the past they used "sold" when it meant shipped, "exclusive" was it was timed, "we currently have no intention" meaning they will later, etc.. now "soon" is used in a similar way. 10M is very reasonable if they include the holiday sales, shipped, with the channel replenishment (forward-looking statement?), but the gaming news sources are now filled with headlines "XB1 have shipped 10M". PR Mission accomplished.

Man so anything one company says about sales is PR (lies). Everthing the other company says is taken at face value.
Can we not have a discussion about console sales without it turnimg into a pissing contest?

Its actually a financially material comment, at worst it should signal "within the next 45 days".
the next 45 days includes November and December, where they can be expect to sell (and replenish) a few million units. "We'll reach 10 million soon" could therefore, potentially, be "come next year." Ergo, they could have been at anything from 7 million to nearly 10 million units when that post was made, within spitting distance of the goal or relying on the Holiday season to predictably get them there.

Man so anything one company says about sales is PR (lies). Everthing the other company says is taken at face value.
Can we not have a discussion about console sales without it turnimg into a pissing contest?
Well, when one company says it sells 10 million consoles, and the other says it 'will ship 10 million consoles soon', surely even you can see a difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back