New Ubisoft games pulled from Steam

Malo

Yak Mechanicum
Legend
Supporter
From PCGamer today - Confirmed on my US Steam account none of the 3 upcoming titles have Store pages anymore.

[Update: It seems that Far Cry 4, Assassin's Creed: Unity, and The Crew won't be available via Steam from anywhere, as the listings for all three games have been pulled from the service entirely. We've reached out to Ubisoft for more information and will update if and when we receive a reply.]

Another push for Ubisoft's "Origin" in the guise of a falling out with Valve? The useless uplay becoming the only place for Ubisoft titles? *sigh*

Does this make much difference? They all run through Uplay anyway, whether you buy them on Steam or not.

In fact, because the Uplay versions are often cheaper, I usually* end up with the Uplay versions anyway.

*Far Cry Collection - all three games for a fiver back in December 2012, and Anno 2044(? Whatever year it is) for a couple of dollars last month; just two games on Uplay for me! For some reason I don't have a lot of Ubisoft games. Oh, that's right - they're formulaic, unimaginative, poorly-coded disappointments. Well, I guess all that's about to change with these... two yet-another-sequels, and a game which is currently in a fairly-reviled beta. :D

Maybe buying from Uplay can be cheaper because they're competing with steam. Now people need to buy from them.
Personally, I don't mind Uplay, Origin, etc. But from what I see on Origin, their pricing is not competitive vs steam and because of that, I never bought anything from Origin (only download their free stuff). But when Mirrors Edge 2 released...

Oh, just to clarify, I've never bought from the Uplay store. edit: wait a second... WAIT A SECOND! THAT ANNO GAME! THAT WAS FROM THE UPLAY STORE!!!! WHAT HAVE I DONE?!?!?!?

Of course, the Steam store is rarely the cheapest place for Steam games, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, since steam accept local currency, it became the cheapest place for steam games. Except games from few publisher, it's like an automatic 25% Off (can be more.. shadow of mordor is around $30 without any discount).

Well, that's quite good.

It's ~US$27 on Funstock Digital at the moment, though, finally beating out the ~$28 it's been on Nuuvem for a week or two.

I wonder if steam will end up like an android game store full of cheap games as the big publishers move to their own platforms. Would help with their steam os plans

Maybe it would act like a kick in the ass for them to get some games of their own developed and released...

Anyway, not going to buy anyhing from any alternative stores. One is fucking enough for me, I can't have accounts and passwords and credit card information spread around all over the place. If they don't want to sell their shit through steam they can do without my money... (Not like I bought Ubi games anyway to begin with, as long as they insist on draconian/online DRM they're untouchable to me.)

*Far Cry Collection - all three games for a fiver back in December 2012, and Anno 2044(? Whatever year it is) for a couple of dollars last month; just two games on Uplay for me!

Anno 2070. Here's a neat trick: the numbers in all the Anno games always add to 9. 1503 (1+5+0+3=9),1404,1701 etc. :smile:

Ah well I just redeemed my free copy of Far Cry 4 that came with my 970. It comes directly through uplay which is kind of a bummer but hey it was free.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does this make much difference? They all run through Uplay anyway, whether you buy them on Steam or not.

In fact, because the Uplay versions are often cheaper, I usually* end up with the Uplay versions anyway.

*Far Cry Collection - all three games for a fiver back in December 2012, and Anno 2044(? Whatever year it is) for a couple of dollars last month; just two games on Uplay for me! For some reason I don't have a lot of Ubisoft games. Oh, that's right - they're formulaic, unimaginative, poorly-coded disappointments. Well, I guess all that's about to change with these... two yet-another-sequels, and a game which is currently in a fairly-reviled beta. :D
The problem is that many people don't like Uplay and I can foresee lots of piracy, or serious attempts of hacking Ubisoft titles from now on

The games are back on Steam, not sure about UK yet. I don't know if they even were legitimately pulled or if there was some other issue causing it.

Yeah I still see Far Cry 4, Unity and The Crew on my Steam wishlist. Any theories as to why they are blocking them in the UK? Maybe testing the waters there? Ultimately it's no big deal on my end, if they remove those three games then I'll just have to make do with the other 72 games on my Steam wishlist, it's not like there is any shortage of digital entertainment nowadays.

The thing I hated about uplay was that their games on my steam list would launch it.

I don't mind multiple stores, but I don't really care for many UBI titles in the first (Splinter Cell & Blood Dragon). Valiant Hearts was refreshing.

The games are back on Steam, not sure about UK yet. I don't know if they even were legitimately pulled or if there was some other issue causing it.

I believe “We’ve been in discussions with Valve about Assassin’s Creed Unity but for the time being the game is not available via Steam in the UK,” means it was pulled, not in error.

Yeah I still see Far Cry 4, Unity and The Crew on my Steam wishlist. Any theories as to why they are blocking them in the UK? Maybe testing the waters there? Ultimately it's no big deal on my end, if they remove those three games then I'll just have to make do with the other 72 games on my Steam wishlist, it's not like there is any shortage of digital entertainment nowadays.

Yeah it stayed on my wishlist but going to the store page yesterday would take you to the Steam home instead. Today they're definitely back.

I believe “We’ve been in discussions with Valve about Assassin’s Creed Unity but for the time being the game is not available via Steam in the UK,” means it was pulled, not in error.

Ok thanks for the info. Just checked our Steam store and Ubi games are 59.90€. Here though the new Call of Duty is the same price as those Ubi games. In the UK Call of Duty is only £39.90 vs £49.90 which is what Ubi wants their games to be.

Anyway, not going to buy anyhing from any alternative stores. One is fucking enough for me, I can't have accounts and passwords and credit card information spread around all over the place.

I also think that competition sucks!

Competition is fine. Doesn't mean we have to buy from multiple stores. If it isn't on Steam (redeemable on Steam works as well). I don't buy it.

Just like I usually buy all my groceries from the same store despite there being various grocery stores I could get groceries from.

I had no problems with EA selling games through their own electronic store (or any other electronic store) when I could buy them on Steam as well. Once it was removed from Steam, I haven't bought a single EA game since then.

Regards,
SB

Devil's advocate? Wouldn't competition mean the games are available at all stores? Then we could choose where we want to but them.

This is just publishers locking up into their "ecosystems" so they can increase margins at the expense of the customer's experience.

Competition is fine. Doesn't mean we have to buy from multiple stores. If it isn't on Steam (redeemable on Steam works as well). I don't buy it.

Just like I usually buy all my groceries from the same store despite there being various grocery stores I could get groceries from.

There is a difference between "usually" (groceries) and (in essence) "never" (games from other stores than Steam). If people want competition between stores they have to buy from different stores.

Back