Gears of War, Microsoft is investing in Gears of War "for the next decade" [XO]

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
The game will be "dark" as the original one, (I found it a bit grey for my taste but it was the most "terrifying" of them all, and in my opinion it had the most fun campaign -my favourite Gears of War game overall) Phil Spencer has said.

The Xbox One version won't be a reboot.

I just hope they can keep the quality of the first GeoW, that game was a blast, and hilarious at times (the dialogues especially).

http://www.totalxbox.com/82211/micr...the-next-decade-xbox-one-debut-isnt-a-reboot/

image_39978_fit_940.jpg

image_41642_fit_940.jpg

The first was my favorite as well. It was the first truly nextgen game released on the 360.
I really enjoyed 3 as well though.

The game will be "dark" as the original one, (I found it a bit grey for my taste but it was the most "terrifying" of them all, and in my opinion it had the most fun campaign -my favourite Gears of War game overall) Phil Spencer has said.

The 2nd was much "darker" than the first really.

What was better in the first is that it stayed away from some kind of heavy story. It was dark yeah, but it never tried to be a crappy horror movie like the 2nd. It was more like popcorn action. And it was much better that way. I dont want these characters life stories. especially when it's as bad quality stuff as in Gears.

Video game makers always try to get to clever for their own good. NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR SHITTY STORY.

Anyways, I always say there are a few franchises that no matter how long they go on will always talk about "we're returning to our roots" with every single iteration :LOL: One prime example is Mortal Kombat. Gears of War is another. When they are doing Gears of War 27 in 50 years, they will talk about how they are returning to the series roots :LOL:

Video game makers always try to get to clever for their own good. NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR SHITTY STORY.

I disagree. Many video games have been hugely praised for their ability to tell a good story and make you care for the characters through the story.

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean nobody else cares :???:

Any game about a bunch of steroid soaking american football players fighting a war on a fictional planet that's against a bunch of seroid soaking man-lizards is better off avoiding any kind of serious and emotional story.

Still waiting for them to release 2 and 3 on the PC :( Along with the Halo series this is one of the very few console exclusive franchises that I'm bothered about being unable to play. The stupid thing is I actually got a 360 when it launched, largely driven by this game and it turned out to be the only one in the series that was actually released on the PC!

Any game about a bunch of steroid soaking american football players fighting a war on a fictional planet that's against a bunch of seroid soaking man-lizards is better off avoiding any kind of serious and emotional story.
Hey, man-lizards have feelings too.

Anyway, this news will make Al very happy. Maybe.

I liked the story. At least it was consistent and coherent. I wonder who they'll get to score the music. Kevin Riepl's OST for the first game was pretty distinct and "hard" sounding (blood-pumping), but I quite enjoyed Steve Jablonsky's (cinematic) themes from Gears 2/3.

The books & comics were pretty decent too, very grim.

---

It'll be hard to top the overall package that was Gears 3 - 4P co-op, mutators, unlocks, horde 2.0, beast mode, # of maps & characters.

Despite Judgment having a severely cut-down experience, there are some neat ideas in there with the class-based survival (horde) & overrun (PvP + A.I.) modes. Survival was just too limited and didn't feel very rewarding next to Horde 2.0.

Overrun might be very cool with dedicated servers running the A.I. Kind of like what Halo Reach's Invasion mode should have been, but I digress.

----

The 32MB esram sure won't be too nice for the default G-buffer in UE4.

I still havent understood the origins of the Locusts and I played all 4 of them.

The scariest creatures are those that aren't fully understood.

Not to say the Locust are particularly scary (although the flying bat/whatever hordes in the first game scared the crap out of me), but sometimes a bit of mystery isn't a bad thing.

Regards,
SB

I totally agree with Al, Epic went all out with Gears 3 in terms of content...either you enjoy single player, co-op or competitive mp the game has something for anyone. Gears 3 is probably the most packed in terms of content game of last gen.

Judgment is usually getting a lot of shit but Overrun, Survival and the optional extra challenges in the campaign (would be a good fit for the Arcade campaign IMO) were good additions to the series. I'd love to see Black Tusk including the above but seeing how Gears 4 will be their first take on the series I highly doubt that.

I hope they go back to Gears 1 in terms of MP...still one of my favorite MP games ever! They also should make the Lancer as in Gears 1...together with dedicated servers, this should yield great shotgun dances!

Still waiting for them to release 2 and 3 on the PC :( Along with the Halo series this is one of the very few console exclusive franchises that I'm bothered about being unable to play. The stupid thing is I actually got a 360 when it launched, largely driven by this game and it turned out to be the only one in the series that was actually released on the PC!
For me, both Gears of War and Skyrim were the pinnacle of their generation. :smile2: In addition to this, before Gears of War came out, Oblivion was the one that made me think we were in a new generation.

Gears of War might be at another level back then, but Oblivion in March 2006 go you into thinking that the original Xbox would never be able to run and push that game. :smile2:

Hundreds of square kilometers of absolute freedom, decent graphics despite all the open spaces.... :)

Seeing a mountain in the distance and being able to go there on foot, were things that people knew only the new console could run.

I still havent understood the origins of the Locusts and I played all 4 of them.
Neither do I, I know there is a queen, but she looks a bit human (face), albeit I never cared one bit tbh, and as Silent_Buddha said a bit of mystery isn't a bad thing.

NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR SHITTY STORY.

I like plot in my action games ... I am am not looking for character depth though.

Plot can be progressed with explosions, character depth is generally explored through talking and slice of life situations.

Back