www.techingames.net - A Game Feature Tracker and Comparison Database

For that scope, you'd probably be best opening it up for developers to add their game. But they in turn may not want to list the technical details.

http://www.techingames.net/Games/Details/36

Your Killer Instinct info is out of date. Season2 patch increased the resolution. Keeping these kinds of things up to date will be difficult. Garden Warfare received some unknown and incredibly minor resolution boost, from what I know.

I'm not sure "Tech In Games" is an appropriate title. You're not really listing tech, or providing information about what it is, how it works or why it's used. Resolution and framerate are not really what I'd call "tech". A particular method for GI would fit more of what I'd consider tech. A method for implementing 3D support is tech (which is on your site).

@Arwin

Well the SEN/PS Store provides the exact mandatory and non, install size for each game plus patches so you might use that instead than DF.
Actually I probably should register to your site and add that info myself but I fear I won't be able to do it regularly :(

I'm not sure "Tech In Games" is an appropriate title. You're not really listing tech, or providing information about what it is, how it works or why it's used. Resolution and framerate are not really what I'd call "tech". A particular method for GI would fit more of what I'd consider tech. A method for implementing 3D support is tech (which is on your site).

I fear that the the options are limited; I can't think of a name that would reflect the content of the site that has not been used/taken already.

"The Game Database" is taken already.
"Wiki games" is already used as well.
"Gamesepdia" is taken as well.

"Secret Sauce in Games" is not taken though.
SPecial Encyclopedia of Content, Tech, Resolution , Etc in Games (S.P.E.C.T.R.E in Games) is also available ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.techingames.net/Games/Details/36

Your Killer Instinct info is out of date. Season2 patch increased the resolution. Keeping these kinds of things up to date will be difficult. Garden Warfare received some unknown and incredibly minor resolution boost, from what I know.

I don't have an Xbox One yet, and it's very hard to get the right version numbers and such without one. I don't even know how easy it is to get that with one? I haven't seen screenshots of update history like I've seen from PS4 yet I think. Some articles I've seen on the game describe it like it's a completely new game rather than a patch, as it even got a new title. Anyway, any help especially from Xbox One owners is more than appreciated! :)

As for the title, I indeed couldn't find a lot that was better, and I wasn't giving myself the time to find as nice a name as something like digital foundry. This is short, which is hard enough these days, and fairly descriptive. It can and probably will grow a bit beyond what the subtitle now describes (feature tracker and comparison database) but that's a good start.

I can easily later make links to specific features, explaining what they do (the link system is already 'universal', just a matter of dropping a few lines of code to the feature details page, say). And I would definitely like background articles on stuff like pixel counting. If someone cares enough to collect that data, it would be easy enough to add features for chromatic aberration, global illumination, various shadow tech, etc. and link that to games, and provide background information on how it works. But I definitely want to also be able to track what wheels are supported and so on.

@Arwin

Well the SEN/PS Store provides the exact mandatory and non, install size for each game plus patches so you might use that instead than DF.
Actually I probably should register to your site and add that info myself but I fear I won't be able to do it regularly :(

Yeah, for PS4 it's fairly easy to get the info, did that for Black Flag. Hey and every bit helps! Even if you just update the games you are passionate about. Eventually if 10.000 people do one game, there's 10.000 games ;)

some explanation can be "Visualized" for easier understanding.
something like on "tearing" page.

maybe something like this? just a quick photoshop.
Ioj9gxB.jpg

I like it! I've definitely also considered adding pictures and explanations myself. I've checked first if everything already had good enough wiki articles, but not really. Will work towards it. Have to think about if I'll allow uploading images by end-users for this and make it a bit more resolution independent, etc. I probably will add it behind a reputation system of some sort - if you have enough rep, you can upload pictures, something like that. I already have a verification flag in the background so I can work with that as well. Thanks for the input!

yeah user-upload-able picture with reputation filter should be great. nobody want to see no-reputation user abusing it :D

So far it's been mostly console stuff, but what kind of info should I add for PC? Obviously I am not going to add framerate unless it would be for the DF reference PC. But there should be plenty of other stuff, like does it support mods, is it on steam, controller support, reconfigurable keys, etc?

So far it's been mostly console stuff, but what kind of info should I add for PC? Obviously I am not going to add framerate unless it would be for the DF reference PC. But there should be plenty of other stuff, like does it support mods, is it on steam, controller support, reconfigurable keys, etc?

Graphics APIs supported would be good, e.g. - DirectX 9/10/11/12, OpenGL 3.2/4/4.1/4.2, Mantle etc.
Minimum/recommended CPU/RAM
OS - Windows XP/7/8/10/OSX/Linux - debate if non-Windows is worth it!

Graphics APIs supported would be good, e.g. - DirectX 9/10/11/12, OpenGL 3.2/4/4.1/4.2, Mantle etc.
Minimum/recommended CPU/RAM
OS - Windows XP/7/8/10/OSX/Linux - debate if non-Windows is worth it!

Added ... so now the PC guys have something to punch in as well, if they want to. ;)

Lowest framerate for Ryse was 16.

Updated

EDIT: did a whole bunch of stuff to allow a parent-child relationship between games. This mostly to the benefit of Halo: The Master Chief Collection. The parent will then also summarise all versions of the children. This needs a little bit of work (think I need to add the name to the version in the feature summary), but the basics are there. Preparations for uploading and reputation have also been made, more later this weekend. I'm going to bed way to late again.

http://www.techingames.net/Games/Details/51

Also special thanks to Cjail for testing and adding new data.

Lowest framerate for Ryse was 16.

I thought the number DF puts on the corner of the screen wasn't reflective of the actual lowest framerate due to how the averages work or something. The lowest frametime would need to be in rendering milliseconds to be accurate, and is likely higher.

Yeah, it's a trailing average, so it would imply a higher instantaneous frametime (lower framerate) as there are naturally higher framerates (lower frametimes) than that in the sequence.

edit: unless the entire sequence was on its own and measuring 16fps.

Added ... so now the PC guys have something to punch in as well, if they want to. ;)

Updated

A single lowest framerate should not be recorded in the database, because of 2 reasons.

1 - It only depends of what scenes has been selected on a short ~5mn video: compared to a ~10 hours game the sampling is really too small.

2 - There are some games that use a half framerate during cutscene or slow motion scenes, for instance if you say that the last COD has 30fps as its lowest framerate (during slow motion, cinematics scenes), it's not at all representative of the whole game. Later, people consulting the database could think the game constantly hovers between 30fps and 60fps.

And what about Forza 5 with some real-time scenes running at 30fps?

Instead for Ryse we could say the game may hovers at ~20fps during sustained moments like:

- Occasionnal sustained (5 seconds) framerate : ~20fps

Hi,

I agree to some extent. I do mention it is 'Lowest Measured' with this description: "If the framerate falls, what is the lowest measured framerate. Note that this is only for sections of the game that have been analysed. Figures for the whole game are typically not available. "

But this description isn't very visible yet in the overview. I'll see if I can make some kind of note/alert in that overview with a popup or something like that.

As for the cutscenes, the values are for gameplay only. Cutscene target framerate and lowest recorded are actually tracked separately already.

Back