Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott_Arm

Legend
They finally copied OSX Expose and Spaces (Task view, virtual desktops).

Watching this full demo, Windows 10 looks really good. The way they're planning on switching for 2-1 hybrid devices is really smart, and really good. There's consistency between the interfaces. Hopefully it works out. I'll probably need a Windows install some time soon.

How about a security system which doesn't suck donky balls? Or can only metro apps get that?

How about a security system which doesn't suck donky balls? Or can only metro apps get that?

The good thing is, Metro is done and so are Metro apps, by the look of it. There are Win32 apps and Universal Apps, but the interface is the same between desktop and touch. It is consistent. Some onscreen controls change, but it is essentially the same interface.

So the API formerly known as metro will ONLY be used for universal apps?

Still doesn't excuse the security system for win32 apps sucking donky balls though.

The good thing is, Metro is done and so are Metro apps, by the look of it. There are Win32 apps and Universal Apps, but the interface is the same between desktop and touch. It is consistent. Some onscreen controls change, but it is essentially the same interface.

metro isn't gone

Metro is one of the best ways to control a touch device.

Windows_Product_Family_9-30-Event-741x416.png

[This is an April Fools' story. It is fiction, though it contains facts. -- Ed.]

If you've been looking forward to Windows 9, the OS that will fix what Windows 8 got wrong, you're in for a surprise: There will be no Windows 9. Instead, Microsoft announced it will proceed directly to Windows 10.
http://www.infoworld.com/article/2613504/microsoft-windows/microsoft-windows-microsoft-skips-too-good-windows-9-jumps-to-windows-10.html
win 10 looks like MS have learnt from their mistakes and are not trying to push metro on us, nice theyre also finally fixing the shell, I use powershell and its :(

Yeah, no. The store is still front and center as are "New UI" apps. On the surface the only difference is these apps can now appear windowed and they will be available on the start button menu as opposed to the start screen on keyboard devices.

The actual reason for the naming might actual be half-assed 3rd party devs from 90's and early 2000's: https://twitter.com/mikko/status/517358472715710465/photo/1

--

First impressions:
- Microsoft-account rocks. Everything is pretty much as it was in Win8.1 for me
- It installs Catalysts automatically, including CCC
- I still prefer Start-screen over Start-menu, luckily us who found Win8's Modern UI Start-screen great don't have to use the ancient-modern-hybrid-start-menu they put in there for Win7 users

Yeah, no. The store is still front and center as are "New UI" apps. On the surface the only difference is these apps can now appear windowed and they will be available on the start button menu as opposed to the start screen on keyboard devices.

I just hope there's an option for the Start Screen still. I absolutely do NOT wish to ever go back to the Start Menu.

Regards,
SB

I just hope there's an option for the Start Screen still. I absolutely do NOT wish to ever go back to the Start Menu.

Regards,
SB

Yes there is, I already enabled it here :cool:
Requires just a quick log out and log in to change the setting

edit:
Oh, and it's not the exact same start screen, but close.

Yes there is, I already enabled it here :cool:
Requires just a quick log out and log in to change the setting

edit:
Oh, and it's not the exact same start screen, but close.

Great news. I was going to be a very unhappy puppy if I had to use the start menu again. I hate using it on the Win7 install I still have for helping out people with troubleshooting.

Regards,
SB

Sounds promising.

Has anyone encountered issues with graphics hardware or games so far? I'm planning to install the preview on my main gaming PC.

Sounds promising.

Has anyone encountered issues with graphics hardware or games so far? I'm planning to install the preview on my main gaming PC.

One error, in the "bugs I found so far" -list, might be related to graphics hardware and/or games (the Fifa, obviously) - using the Catalysts it installed, not sure which version they exactly are since CCC doesn't tell it, but the packaging version is 14.201.1008-140812a-174946E-ATI
I haven't tried any "real games", only couple Windows Store games

Bugs noticed so far:
- Fifa15 UT from store doesnt' render correctly, it doesn't fit on my screen (1920x1200)
- Some Action Center error report thing appeared as "new program" in Start Screen's "all programs"
- Explorer has crashed / thrown error on my face twice so far, once on first shutdown, second time next log out

Not bugs but unexpected:
- Snap-thing: You can't get 2:2 equal "grid" with all programs, for example snapped Skype (Modern version) requires around 2/3rds of the 1200 pixels available as minimum height - some programs, like explorer, can still be snapped under it to the around 1/3rds space left

New visuals:
- Shadows around windows

Well I just installed the latest driver from amd 14.9 and got a speed boost in novabench.

It also reports higher ratings on my cpu and hdd.

I did a benchmark with grid 2 before installing too. When it's downloaded from steam I'll run it again.

Generally a little slower, but the run in Grid was not the same so it's not really a good benchmark.

Everything in 10 is 2 fps lower than with 8.1.

Last edited by a moderator:
mOSX...

Having skipped a version number, does this mean its skipping the 'every 2nd version is good' too?

Haven't watched that long presentation yet but like stuff I've seen so far.
Recognising that desktops exist & won't be disappearing for some time is an important step.

Any word on return of proper desktop friendly Cleartype?

Hoping for a nice Glass type transparency implementation too, hate the opaque pastel shite.

Just updating cmd prompt a bit is not really good enough, its long since overdue that they give it a full GUI overhaul.
It should not be too hard to make a program using existing MS GUI elements to provide ability to perform any valid cmd function without typing, ie only mouse clicks or touch screen presses.
Would still be quicker to do most by quick typing but having that ability to do it by GUI is important IMO.

Having skipped a version number, does this mean its skipping the 'every 2nd version is good' too?
There's no such thing as "every 2nd version is good", people just leave some OS'es out to make it work in their head

I haven't tried any "real games", only couple Windows Store games

Bugs noticed so far:
- Fifa15 UT from store doesnt' render correctly, it doesn't fit on my screen (1920x1200)

if the store version is the same as Origin version then this a problem with the game. It only works on 16:9 monitors. Everyone else has black bars. Or giant black bars as is the case on my 21:9 monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back