Ryse of the off-topic conspiracy rant (spawn)

Nearly every commercial reviewer did exactly what Eurogamer did and just superficially played through one or two levels half heartedly on easy single player, called it "drek" slapped a score on it and moved on.

Nope. Eurogamer Ryse review:

Eurogamer said:
The closing chapters even manage a kind of idiotic grandeur. Marius brings a reckoning back to Rome and ends up reliving earlier events at the Colosseum, where fanciful contraptions transform the scene like the set of a lavish Broadway musical, and there's a clanging reference to Stanley Kubrick's Spartacus (as opposed to the trashy TV series which Ryse much more closely resembles). There's even an authentically Roman tinge to the way Marius' story ends.

By the time you've seen that ending, though, you'll have unlocked the majority of Marius' upgrades, and there's nothing like enough substance to the gameplay to tempt you to run the campaign on another difficulty setting or to lure you into long-term engagement with the two-player arena mode.

It's rather hypocritical to accuse Eurogamer of not having properly played the game when it's clear you didn't properly read their review.

Those who have actually played it, knew that the reviewers hadn't played it. Which I think is Cyans point. How do you review a game on its technical merits, when you haven't seen and evaluated the scenes which display its technical mastery?

The reviews I read all praised the game's technical accomplishment, the criticism from reviews was typically they felt it "bland" and "lacking variety".

Now months later on another platform, its mea culpa... "We never saw THIS level before ... It's actually technically much better than we rated it"
Only Digital Foundry are saying this but they didn't review the game, they provided an assessment of its technical accomplishments.

Just from the Ryse game thread:

Gamespot 4/10
Eurogamer 5/10
CVG -> 5/10
Joystiq-> 2,5/5
Nowgamer -> 5,5/10
Destructoid -> 5/10
Shacknews -> 5/10

These scores are a shame for the reviewers and for the respective sites.

After having complete Ryse at Centurion Level, after have spent some time with the multiplayer part, it is not possible on this earth to give 4 or 5 out of 10 to a game of the caliber of Ryse. Not if you are a gamer, never if you are a game reviewers.

Here we are not talking about personal tastes or preferences! Even if you HATE 3d person game, hack n slash etc... even if you play only and exclusively infocom text adventure, you cannot score Ryse 4-5 out of 10!

If this is not a conspiracy, the only other solution is that the people behind these reviews, the night before publishing them have a meet up in the same pub and get incredibly drunk altogether...

To me there is no other explanation, because, Ryse in terms of gameplay, graphic & sound & music, levels design & variety, script, cut-scene direction, characters, interpretation, main protagonist, setting is one of the best new AAA Ip of the last few years, and deserve to be up there with blockbuster likes Gears, Uncharted, Halo.

Just from the Ryse game thread: Gamespot 4/10 Eurogamer 5/10 CVG -> 5/10 Joystiq-> 2,5/5 Nowgamer -> 5,5/10 Destructoid -> 5/10 Shacknews -> 5/10 These scores are a shame for the reviewers and for the respective sites.

Just because a lot of other people do not like a game you like, does not make this some kind of conspiracy or travesty of gamer justice. I bet there are games that you and others consider average (or worse), that others really like.

People are different and like different things. Some things are popular and some things are niche. Why is that so hard to understand/accept? Your point seems to be people who disagree with your opinion on Ryse are wrong, which is absurd.

Gamespot 4/10
Eurogamer 5/10
CVG -> 5/10
Joystiq-> 2,5/5
Nowgamer -> 5,5/10
Destructoid -> 5/10
Shacknews -> 5/10

After having complete Ryse at Centurion Level, after have spent some time with the multiplayer part, it is not possible on this earth to give 4 or 5 out of 10 to a game of the caliber of Ryse. Not if you are a gamer, never if you are a game reviewers.

Here we are not talking about personal tastes or preferences! Even if you HATE 3d person game, hack n slash etc... even if you play only and exclusively infocom text adventure, you cannot score Ryse 4-5 out of 10!

If this is not a conspiracy, the only other solution is that the people behind these reviews, the night before publishing them have a meet up in the same pub and get incredibly drunk altogether...

To me there is no other explanation, because, Ryse in terms of gameplay, graphic & sound & music, levels design & variety, script, cut-scene direction, characters, interpretation, main protagonist, setting is one of the best new AAA Ip of the last few years, and deserve to be up there with blockbuster likes Gears, Uncharted, Halo.

I own all of the launch Xbox One games, and Ryse is the weakest by far. The gameplay is just dumb. And before you ask, I played through it two times, the last one being the hardest difficult, trying to find all the joy some of you talked about here. And I know more people who think the same way.

Comparing it to Uncharted or Gears, imo, is just ridiculous. Let´s just agree to disagree.

Yes you can and they did. It is all personal taste, this is all subjective. Its like saying "if you hate hip hop and all rap you cannot personally dislike Eazy-E!!" which is ridiculous. Knack probably has lower scores than Ryse, but my son loves it, he has finished it three times. I guess he could rant on internet forums and tell the world it is bias and they are all reviewing it wrong, but he is 8...

Some of these comments are so ridiculously absurd I'm honestly shocked this thread is still up and running. Talk about going nowhere with this.
I'll just have fun tagging this.

Some of these comments are so ridiculously absurd I'm honestly shocked this thread is still up and running. Talk about going nowhere with this.
This is a 'conspiracy rant' thread! What were you expecting? ;)

...This is going to be really off-topic, but I can't help but respond to this nonsense:

Eurogamer averages 7 points lower than other critics on metacritic. If we ignore the way that'll scale at different points on the 100-point spectrum (probably not a huge deal considering the low variance in actual game scores)...

They gave Ryse a 5/10. Ryse got a 60/100 on metacritic. Accounting for rounding error of the 0-10 integer scale, this means that their Ryse score was exactly what you'd expect given eurogamer's overall rating tendencies and the general ratings that the game got.
60/100 - 7/100 = 53/100 -> 5/10

Ditto for Dead Rising 3. 78/100 - 7/100 = 71/100 -> 7/10

Ditto for Forza 5. 79/100 - 7/100 = 72/100 ->7/10

Ditto for Killer Instict. 73/100 - 7/100 = 66/100 -> 7/10

Meanwhile, you know what major eighth-gen launch game Eurogamer ACTUALLY rated lower than the expected value based on their tendencies and on the game's general reviews? Knack. It got a 54 on Metacritic. Thus you'd expect Eurogamer to give it a 5/10. But the actual Eurogamer score was 4/10.
I consider you a highly intelligent individual and sometimes you manage to catch me off guard.

In the case of Eurogamer's launch line-up reviews, not all but some of them, seemed to be part of the Xbox One backlash.

And I don't see that backlash as completely fair game. No need to use the abacus to calculate that, but Forza is like 9 points below the Metacritic rate.

Killer Instinct was actually praised in the Eurogamer review, there isn't a hint of extreme criticism in that review, yet it got a 7 when the review sounded like an 8 and beyond.

Gamespot 4/10
Eurogamer 5/10
CVG -> 5/10
Joystiq-> 2,5/5
Nowgamer -> 5,5/10
Destructoid -> 5/10
Shacknews -> 5/10

Actually, comparing it to Uncharted, Halo... is maybe a bit of a stretch. I gave Ryse a 7,5, as I liked it very much, but it's not perfect. Anyways, some levels are so good you don't want to stop playing. :smile2:

The problem I see with Eurogamer is that their bias and scruples were blinding them to the amount of journalism asshats who would abuse their capacity to write reviews and influence people. Some might not Airon, but some would.

In the end life isn't fair. If life was fair, I'd be in my house very close to the my favourite spot of the world, enjoying life, drinking lovely beverages and living with the woman of my dreams. Sadly this isn't a fair world.

yes its amazing that, what with the games gripping and revolutionary gameplay Im guessing the first 2 levels were just so good they just didnt want to stop playing them, once you've sampled ryse's second level all other games are just vapid and unworthy of your time. Myself Im afraid to try it cause I heard level 2 is just like crackcocaine one hit and you're hooked for life
But that's not fair. You can't do that to anyone.

I am reading quite a few novels as of late, and you can't judge a book after having only read the first 2 chapters.

Okay, you can have an approximate idea and say to yourself: "Well, this book is not Shakespeare material, the quality of the writing isn't that good".

Or also say: "I am not liking the first two chapters of this book". But the story can improve dramatically for the better and you can get utterly hooked.

What Digital Foundry did judging Ryse's technical achievements without trying the actual game is a disservice to the game, and to themselves.

They manage to be the first -as if there was so much competition, when there isn't...- releasing information ahead of time, writing an unfair article. Now they have to suffer the consequences.

There is a failure to communicate what features are actually in the game, by only playing 2 levels, when they hadn't touched the British campaign, which is a technical feat from the beginning to the end.

Additionally, I tried your game, but it doesn't work that well with other browsers other than Google Chrome. I got to 6.8m in my first attempt, pretty bad, til I learnt how to use the controls. Cute graphics.

But that's not fair. You can't do that to anyone. I am reading quite a few novels as of late, and you can't judge a book after having only read the first 2 chapters.

There is a failure to communicate what features are actually in the game, by only playing 2 levels, when they hadn't touched the British campaign, which is a technical feat from the beginning to the end.

Except no reviews did this. That was a fallacious claim made by blackjedi easily disproved by reading reviews, or in the case of Eurogamer my post above where I quote from there view.

I really don't understand so many of the posts here. The first reaction to encountering a view of a game that differs to your own is to make claims about therefore methodology even when it's patently false and easily disproved?

Wow.

<CGImageProvider 0x17bbdf10>

I own all of the launch Xbox One games, and Ryse is the weakest by far. The gameplay is just dumb. And before you ask, I played through it two times, the last one being the hardest difficult, trying to find all the joy some of you talked about here. And I know more people who think the same way.

For the honour of this discussion, can you articulate your post a little bit more?

In particular, regarding the gameplay of Ryse, what part of the gameplay is the one you label as "dumb"?

I am really curious to understand your point of view! I really look forward your reply!

Look here, if you fuckers don't like the topic at hand, don't read the thread and most certainly don't post your own off topic and derailing or trolling babble in the thread. Your behavior is worse than the console fanboys!

I'm not beyond handing out bans for what some of you posted that the mods had to cleanup.

In particular, regarding the gameplay of Ryse, what part of the gameplay is the one you label as "dumb"?

Well if you get bored of the over the top execution modes, then combat is just this wrote task of hitting people until an icon shows up over their head, then hitting a button. Rinse and repeat. *yawn*

There's no skill involved like a good fighting game should have, such as the Arkham series.

What about that gameplay is actually fun to you?

Look here, if you fuckers don't like the topic at hand, don't read the thread and most certainly don't post your own off topic and derailing or trolling babble in the thread. Your behavior is worse than the console fanboys!

I'm not beyond handing out bans for what some of you posted that the mods had to cleanup.

Some of of tried to "lessen the tension" with innocent jokes, OT ones no doubt, but there's no need to call us " fuckers".

Some of of tried to "lessen the tension" with innocent jokes, OT ones no doubt, but there's no need to call us " fuckers".

The moment they're able to behave and follow rules and be respective users is the moment I will stop referring to them by how they're acting.

I think Ryse's problem is that it was readily compared to GOW and games of that ilk. There is no plethora of weapons to choose from, no long list of combos available for use in the game nor are there many memorable boss fights.

Ryse to me, is a third person hand to hand combat game with a fps like design.

I enjoyed my time with it, but many others may have be turn off because it lacks some of the conventions known to the genre.

Back