Revival of 2D?Can developers achieve success with multiplatform AAA budget 2D games?

Pixel

Veteran
In a few years a 2D game with Ori's visuals would also allow potential cross platform on mobile devices in a few years when hardware improves.

On average it seems 2d games as of the last few years have been on average of higher review rating than 3d games (which oddly enough coincides with my own personal opinions as well). Developing a breathtakingly gorgeous 2d game with amazing visuals and amazing gameplay like Trine2, Raymond Legends and Ori is less of a resource intensive task than a 3D game like Ryse or Crysis3. Seems creating a great gameplay formula for 2D in (relative terms to a 3d game) easier than with 3d games. There is alot less development overhead needed for creating a side scroller I think alot more studios would have the talent and creativity and resources to making a top quality 2d game that earsn +80% or 90% ratings than a 3D game.

Perhaps part of the problem with Rayman's success is instead of a floppsy mopsy cartoon character like Rayman world, which may not appeal to alot of people as you see purchasing trends are now with more mature theme content (gta/cod/bf4/halo/gears/skyrim/fallout/assassincreed), have a "less kid" premise, and more a game like like 2d Metroid or Castlevania (Metroidvanias) could appeal to more people (me included).

i would like side scroling brawler like those on old times. COOP LOCAL is a must-have feature.

btw the 2D you mean here is 2D presentation? because trine is 3D but presented as 2D. (and it looks awesome in 3D stereo).

Yes. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night remastered... not just HD remastered, but a fully rebuilt 2D engine using the PC/PS4/XB1 capabilities. The many sleepless nights I had playing this game religiously...

super_metroid__final_boss_sd_by_billysan291-d2zf35e.jpg

I could imagine a metroid game looking something similar to this nowdays on XO or PS4 hardware or even less (of course Nintendo will never do that on a competing platform). And if it was designed well it would be amazing. I dont know if lastgen hardware could produce those visuals or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, anything can work. There are always new gameplay possibilities waiting to be invented and breakout genre's to be created. The problem is devs that make 2D games spend all their time replicating what was done in the NES era rather than trying to expand out and think of new possibilities. Visually things could obviously be a lot better but it feels like devs are limiting themselves in terms of gameplay as well. You can do so many more things with modern systems (larger dynamic environments, high impact narrative decisions, increased world interactivity) but instead we get stuff like Shovel Knight. I 'm not saying Shovel Knight is bad, I'm just saying the game could have been a lot more than it was. I made a related post about this in the Cuphead thread:

"StudioMDHR also mentioned a dream idea in its latest press update: The developer hopes "we can at least be successful enough to port it to Sega Master System with cartridge, instructions and box one day."

I finished reading Jim Henson’s biography recently and it is interesting seeing the juxtaposition between him and comments like this (which are typical sentiment of indie developers). Henson loved the ‘Old Hollywood’ style and tried to bring that element to a lot of his movies but for him it was a lot more about the spirit of what the old Hollywood movies were than replicating their physical characteristics. As a content creator he was constantly pushing the technology and art of puppetry forward in every way he could while focusing more on the spirit of what made the classic Hollywood films great (big musical numbers, larger than life characters, grand adventure). It seems like so many of these indie developers look backwards and try and place these artificial technical restrictions on their projects as if they were still in school trying to impress a professor rather than creating something of their own. I think the distance I feel towards most indie games is for this reason, it is like paying homage to NES platformers means you have to use adopt the limitations of the NES system.

In Cuphead I think this will come out in the same way, they will adopt everything about classic cartoons as if Walt Disney would approach his craft exactly the same way with modern technology (saloon piano music in the background, wiz-bang-kapow sound effects, etc). I’m not saying that won’t be enjoyable, I just think there is a smarter way to go about these things than wholesale coping a period’s style because with access to better technology the period’s defining creators wouldn’t have made the same decisions.

I have both of those for 360 but DD is a new 2.5D remake...I also have 2.5D Strider. I want a Shinobi side scroller too so hopefully someone at SEGA will make it happen. :D

I also have R-Type for 360.
I used to play R-Type on my Amiga 500, Double Dragon at a store while transferring bus's in intermediate school, and Final Fight at my local pizza store... ahhh those were the days. Shinobi and Golden Axe were pretty awesome too.

Oh and that Metroid pic is pretty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back