DVR Software for PC with On Screen Controls

Acert93

Artist formerly known as Acert93
Legend
I recently picked up a Hauppauge WinTV 955Q to watch Seahawk games. It comes with WinTV which was easy enough to use /but/ it is preconfigured to skip ahead 30 seconds--so if I pause a game and return, say, 20 minutes later and want to skip through commercials it often skips way too far ahead.

So I tried out the NextPVR which works well as it has a 10 second skip ahead and is actually customizable. The problem I am having is it has no on screen controls. It also only wants to go full screen on my laptop, not my 28" display hooked up via HDMI.

Could anyone give some advice on a DVR program with on screen controls and that is user friendly? It would be mainly used for watching live football games although I wouldn't mind being able to record the game and start watching 1 hour in so I can skip commercials.

why not just use media center ? It was really well and if you have xbox 360s you can stream live tv to those systems

Yes I'd advise just Media Center or even cooler is the XBMC (now Kodi) frontend with WMC as the backend.

Yes they really try to deter users from actually using WMC nowadays. It's like they want to kill off the product or something.... at least we have an alternative for protected content TV on HTPC.... oh wait nevermind!

There are lots of alternatives for a HTPC for media streaming and normal TV viewing. I use XBMC with WMC backend for pretty much everything. Only WMC will allow protected content viewing though, for example watching HBO.

Another vote for MediaPortal, it has some great features; my favorite is the LAN enabled PVR/ TV Tuner, to stream live or recorded TV on any PC on the LAN. And it's free.

Back