Rumour confirmed: Microsoft Purchase Minecraft for $2.5B (Post#122)

What about Minecraft 2?

I guess we'll find out if there ever happens to be a Minecraft 2. My hope would be yes. My guess would be, maybe (50/50).

They would be insane to keep it from iOS, Android, OSX and I think equally insane to keep it off Playstation platforms. There's just more money in it that way.

Interesting that he stopped working on Minecraft development a long time ago.

That definitely isn't news, Notch walked away from hands on Minecraft development quite publicly a few years back.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner.

Truly impressed by Microsofts approach on this purchase, they really understood that this is not an ip to played with.

And I think I can understand what notch is doing, it was time to cash in and stop worrying about his 50 million customers and leave that to someone who can.

Yes, I also wonder what 2.5 billion dollars could have bought Microsoft elsewhere, but this is something that they can actually earn money with.. I hope

I don't know how you ever recoup that 2.5 billion without huge growth of Minecraft revenues, or indidential revenue by growth of Windows Phone, Xbox etc.

What about Minecraft 2?

But would Minecraft 2 be? Minecraft is the same game it was at the first alpha, all that Mojang have done is slowly, cautiously, and with a lot of input from "the community" is add to it. And this has worked work. The community steers development and sensible changes stay, bad changes disappear.

How would Microsoft get to Minecraft 2? Because if it's iterative improvements that doesn't warrant a "2" monicker. If they make a lot of changes then launch Minecraft 2, they could easily end up with a game that nobody wants while simultaneously destroying this untarnishable phenomenon.

Minecraft 2 would be very, very brave.

Do it, Microsoft. Do it! :yes:

Microsoft wouldn't want to bring this cash home, regardless. Tax is a minor reason but the bigger reason is that any international company does not want their capital tied to a single currency and economy. Do that and that economy tanks, you're suddenly worth a whole lot less in real terms.

Your statement contradicts reality where 60% of the world foreign exchange reserves are in US dollars. The US dollar is a world reserve currency and a substantial portion of international transactions are done in US dollars.

There is a reason why, while the US housing market was a major instigator of the US recession which was the worst since the Great Depression, the US borrowing costs moved to all time lows. A huge chunk of the capital was moved from international stock markets into US treasuries.

The US economy and currency is considered one of the safest financial bets to make today. You don't want a majority of your war chest in something other than US dollars, because if the US economy went there wouldn't be an economy or currency that wouldn't be unaffected.

I don't know how you ever recoup that 2.5 billion without huge growth of Minecraft revenues, or indidential revenue by growth of Windows Phone, Xbox etc.

Has anybody played Minecraft on a touch device? It's not a great experience. Tho I guess it depends what an individual gets out of the game but the controls are predictably compromised.

I think its more than pokemon. This is pokemon combined with legos

Exactly. Now imagine when MS pushes out the physical products / goods even more so.

They figure it will be break even in fiscal 2015!

But would Minecraft 2 be? Minecraft is the same game it was at the first alpha, all that Mojang have done is slowly, cautiously, and with a lot of input from "the community" is add to it. And this has worked work. The community steers development and sensible changes stay, bad changes disappear.

How would Microsoft get to Minecraft 2? Because if it's iterative improvements that doesn't warrant a "2" monicker. If they make a lot of changes then launch Minecraft 2, they could easily end up with a game that nobody wants while simultaneously destroying this untarnishable phenomenon.

Minecraft 2 would be very, very brave.

Do it, Microsoft. Do it! :yes:

You simply keep the original going.

A substantial portion of MC owners aren't part of the community concerned by the incremental improvements of the game. And a large reason of why MC development moves so slowly is because the limited number of devs dedicated to it. Some might like the ideal of faster improvements or mistakes walked back quickly and see MC 2 evolve at a more rapid pace.

If people have a problem with MC 2 just keeping MC 1 going may keep them satisfied. Currently only two devs are working on the PC ver of MC so MS wouldn't have to incur substantial resources to maintain it.

Has anybody played Minecraft on a touch device? It's not a great experience. Tho I guess it depends what an individual gets out of the game but the controls are predictably compromised.

I had 10 kids age 8 playing minecraft on a pocket edition server on our wifi.
Let's just say that they had no problem navigating the game with touch. The speed and precision they play smudge games with is an eye opener. Yes, they are better with controllers and mouse keyboard, but they were brought up with smudge games and it shows.

The US economy and currency is considered one of the safest financial bets to make today.

Currency yes, the economy is largely irrelevant though. 4 decades of trade deficits and counting, the dollar's value hasn't dependent on the strength of the US's economy's outputs for a long time ... unless you count SA as part of the US, which is not unreasonable but should be stated out loud.

From Mojang's PR:

The founders: Notch, Carl, and Jakob are leaving. We don’t know what they’re planning. It won’t be Minecraft-related but it will probably be cool.

That could be really interesting, if they all leave it could mean that they planned to do together something that could be really innovative, maybe as much as Minecraft was.

Your statement contradicts reality where 60% of the world foreign exchange reserves are in US dollars. The US dollar is a world reserve currency and a substantial portion of international transactions are done in US dollars.
This is because the US dollar is the nearest thing to a universal currency in countries outside of Europe, Russia and China. And because so many other countries exchange and trade in US dollars, as does Europe, Russia and China.

The US economy and currency is considered one of the safest financial bets to make today. You don't want a majority of your war chest in something other than US dollars, because if the US economy went there wouldn't be an economy or currency that wouldn't be unaffected.

While true, that's not the reason that international companies like assets in foreign currencies. When I was project manager at BAE Systems I had budgets in Pound Sterling, French Francs and German Deutsche Marks. Why? Because most of my purchases were from those three countries and to avoid exchange rates throwing project costs out, you'd purchase using the most favourable currency.

I'm not surprised Microsoft have the majority of their financial assets in US dollars, they are a US company but the US dollar is incredibly volatile. Remember what happened to dollar exchange rates when the US hit their debt ceiling last year? It tumbled, as did confidence in it. That meant buying anything from Europe was more expensive if all your had was dollars.

Exactly. Now imagine when MS pushes out the physical products / goods even more so.

They figure it will be break even in fiscal 2015!

Mojang were already licensing the brand for merchandising, some of which you can see in the official store and which was already contributing to Mojang's profits. Presumably Microsoft will honour those merchandise licenses so they must be über confident in finding more licensees to break even in under two years!

my nephew is 5 and he plays this more than any Nintendo game on his 3ds. He takes his dell venue pro and will play for hours if we let him.

I think its more than pokemon. This is pokemon combined with legos

My ten month olds will watch Minecraft more than anything else.. Not kidding, it is weird. When they are running around the house they ignore the TV if is has cartoons or other games, start Minecraft and they hear the music and will both run up (in walkers mind you) to the screen and just stare at the blocks).

Of course my nine-year old has to have the toys, and oddly enough he wants blocks. Some of the toys come with a single block, so now he wants more of the toys just to collect enough blocks to be able to arrange play sets.

Not to mention all the Minecraft youtube shows, he and his classmates will share which episodes to watch (Seedlings).

It will be interesting to watch where this goes, what happens in the toy space, etc.

How long will it take them to deliver streaming Minecraft from Azure?

You simply keep the original going.

If people have a problem with MC 2 just keeping MC 1 going may keep them satisfied. Currently only two devs are working on the PC ver of MC so MS wouldn't have to incur substantial resources to maintain it.

So what's the appeal of Minecraft 2? That approach has been done before though, Sony Online Entertainment kept on developing the original EveryQuest even after they launched EverQuest 2. I not sure that's a great example of commercial success.

Let's just say that they had no problem navigating the game with touch.
Damn those kids with their superior honed touch skills :yep2: Or perhaps you don't miss (keyboard and mouse) what you never had.

So what's the appeal of Minecraft 2? That approach has been done before though, Sony Online Entertainment kept on developing the original EveryQuest even after they launched EverQuest 2. I not sure that's a great example of commercial success.

Something new.

Everquest 2 failure had nothing to do with Everquest 1 continued presence. World of Warcraft happened and was the "something new".

Something new.
Oh, you should have said earlier. Easy ;-)

Everquest 2 failure had nothing to do with Everquest 1 continued presence. World of Warcraft happened and was the "something new".
WoW was known about before EQ2. Speaking as someone who played EverQuest craploads, EQ2 a fair bit and WoW since day 1, WoW's appeal was it's lighthearted and humorous take on MMORPGs whereas EQ2 was bleak and dark

The fact that WoW used to run well in low-end PCs and EQ2 looks arse on anything less than a good DirectX9 GPU, was a bonus.

Back