NFC payment systems in handheld devices

Mariner

Veteran
Here's a video from a Russian site, purportedly showing the new iP6:

http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_6_gets_disassembled_before_its_official_debut-news-9516.php

Looks a bit too elaborate to be a hoax! I think the 4.7" screen is a good size and the device is only slightly larger than the iP5s. Ought to sell very well, and if Apple really are pushing out NFC payments that can only be a good thing (providing it isn't Apple-only!). I understand they've had NFC payments using phones in some Asian countries for years so it's about time the rest of us caught up and had this option!

Here's a video from a Russian site, purportedly showing the new iP6:

http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_6_gets_disassembled_before_its_official_debut-news-9516.php

Looks a bit too elaborate to be a hoax! I think the 4.7" screen is a good size and the device is only slightly larger than the iP5s. Ought to sell very well, and if Apple really are pushing out NFC payments that can only be a good thing (providing it isn't Apple-only!). I understand they've had NFC payments using phones in some Asian countries for years so it's about time the rest of us caught up and had this option!

Japan especially.

I don't feel like using NFC payment even if available. Need some incentive.

Mobile payments would be great if I didn't have to carry credit cards around.

Esp. if it functions like Chip and PIN authentication, which the US doesn't have broadly but is entrenched in the rest of the world.

US credit card holders can't use train kiosks, highway toll booths, gas station pumps, bicycle ride share systems, etc.

It would be nice to be able to also use phones instead of buying Oyster cards and the like.

I never have and never will understand the fascination with placing your financial information on the most lost or stolen device there is, the cell phone.

"Convenience", my friend... Never underestimate the power of convenience! :)

(Of course, when your phone gets stolen, lost or just plain smashed to smithereens, it's decidedly INconvenlent, but hey... You can't expect people to have forethought, can you? Heh.)

They have full device encryption these days.

Supposedly iOS 7 changes have led to fewer iPhone thefts this past year.

NFC payment is more likely to be used for smaller items, e.g. something like Oyster Card in London, so it's unlikely to have more money than your mobile phone's worth.

In Taiwan, the most popular NFC payment solution started the same way, and now you can pay with it in 7-11 or similar stores, not just riding bus or metro. There are also credit cards with NFC payment function which automatically add money to the NFC card.

A mobile NFC payment solution is most likely to be just like that. In theory, it can be made flexible, like what Google wanted to do (to simulate all current NFC cards), but in practice there are many legal and practical problems to overcome.

I know quite a few failed startups trying to do the same thing. They usually tripped at the merchant side. Why should they support yet another payment method ? And yes, the government may have other ideas too, or they want their own favorite financial institutions to do it (instead of you).

If Apple wants to do this, would love to hear their ideas.

They definitely have more leverage than some random startups though. :)

I never have and never will understand the fascination with placing your financial information on the most lost or stolen device there is, the cell phone.
How often are wallets lost or stolen?

How often are wallets lost or stolen?

Less often than phones.

From what I see every day, people keep their wallets in their pocket except for when they're getting something out of it. For the most part it is kept secure. That isn't the case with phones. People have those out all the time and just left sitting on desks or on top of the table at restaurants. People always seem to be checking something or playing a game on the phone. They always seem to get left behind on the desk at meetings or on tables at restaurants.

Less often than phones.

From what I see every day, people keep their wallets in their pocket except for when they're getting something out of it. For the most part it is kept secure. That isn't the case with phones. People have those out all the time and just left sitting on desks or on top of the table at restaurants. People always seem to be checking something or playing a game on the phone. They always seem to get left behind on the desk at meetings or on tables at restaurants.

I have severe doubts that if there would be a statistic what people tend to forget, that phones would actually win with a big difference compared to anything else. Folks that tend to forget things when they leave from somewhere have good chances to even forget their kid in the car (which I wish would be just a bad joke but isn't...).

I have a lost and found list here for more than a few hundred folks on a daily basis and what you can find most left behind are sunglasses.

Besides once you start using your smartphone as a wallet, it's almost self-explanatory that you won't treat it as "carelessly" as before.

Yeah, smartphones should replace wallets and also keys. It's already fun to check into flights with a phone, it'd be even better if they could be used for payments, passports, car and apartment keys etc.

It'd also be easier to keep track of your only everyday item. Right now I have wallet, two keys, company keycard, and an extra package for the car's papers. It's soo easy to leave one of them at home, or at work when I leave... But if there's just one item, it should be less of a problem to remember to keep it with you.

I would gladly trade my ~10 keys + wallet + smartphone for an even larger smartphone.

Japan have high integration of phone Nfc payment right?

How they made a deal with retailer to adopt it?

So when you lose your phone (or drop it down the toilet), you can't drive home, can't pay for a taxi, can't get into your house, and can't phone for help.

I'll stick with a wallet + keys + phone for now.

Japan have high integration of phone Nfc payment right?

How they made a deal with retailer to adopt it?

I believe most of them are with chain stores, e.g. convenient stores like 7-11, or vending machines. Some chain stores have their own payment system, but most of them also support popular systems (especially those based on transportation systems, such as Suica). I'm not sure about adoption rate of smaller retailers but many smaller stores in Japan don't even accept credit cards.

So when you lose your phone (or drop it down the toilet), you can't drive home, can't pay for a taxi, can't get into your house, and can't phone for help.

I'll stick with a wallet + keys + phone for now.

Ok. I'll carry a second, smaller, lighter, lower-end smartphone for redundancy.
Still better than big wallet + bunch of keys + smartphone.

Some of the questions/assumptions here sound like I wouldn't be able to do anything if I'd lose, forget or flush down the toilet my credit cards and even if I'd still have cash to pay for N necessity. It'll get ONLY problematic if in the far distant future there will be only one mean for payment and nothing else. Up until that point (which might or might not ever come as far) it'll come down how each and everyone handles (and with how much care) money, credit cards, a smartphone or whatever else.

Finally I personally won't use any of it unless there's no other way in the future. Between that though and create funky scenarios how a smartphone would enp up in the crapper (how anyway? usually you sit on them....unless you try to wipe with a phone) sounds way too far fetched.

Between that though and create funky scenarios how a smartphone would enp up in the crapper (how anyway? usually you sit on them....unless you try to wipe with a phone) sounds way too far fetched.

Store phone in front shirt pocket, lean over to flush the toilet. It's shown clearly in an episode of The IT Crowd.

Back