Pressure senstive styluses should be standard tech on mobile devices *spawn

This is especially true for complex mathematics. Being able to just write out complex equations and then have it automatically transcribed to a document that can then be easily copy and pasted into any other document (as a text equation and not a graphic) is a godsend.

Regards,
SB

Is there an app which converts handwritten notes to latex?

Last edited by a moderator:
Formula input by stylus on Galaxy note

It has Wolfram integration too so a press of a button has Wolfram provide solutions, data, etc. Just as calculatores solved the need for long division, computing will solve the need for algebraic skills!

However, it can't handle highest level mathematical functions or structures. If stylii were standard across mobile devices, I'd expect more progress in software targeting them. :yep2:

They can have pressure sensitive touchscreen. Adding stylus input is just like adding an accessory. Some people need it, others don't.

On-screen keyboard with predictive text is ok.

Personally, I use finger input for almost everything. On-screen keyboard for typing English. Handwriting recognition for entering Asian text (It's faster and more natural because the recognizer understands extremely rough and "cursive" writing).

But am thinking of getting a stylus for the drawing app.

The most important quality of the stylus is the accuracy. Pressure sensitive screens with finger-sized nibs won't cut it, but if the screen tech is accurate as well as pressure sensitive, it'd be a win. Although Wacom will still have the crown as long as they are the only guys with battery-less wand waving powers.

Yes, One Note is an amazing application. I've been using it for years.

The most important quality of the stylus is the accuracy. Pressure sensitive screens with finger-sized nibs won't cut it, but if the screen tech is accurate as well as pressure sensitive, it'd be a win. Although Wacom will still have the crown as long as they are the only guys with battery-less wand waving powers.

Yes, that's one of the reasons I was extremely disappointed with the Dell Venue Pro tablets (battery powered stylus). Been tempted to buy the Asus 8" Windows tablet with Wacom active digitizer, but for ~300 USD, I'd rather wait for the next wave of tablets with Silvermont based cores.

Active digitizers with stylus not needing a battery is the best way to go.

Regards,
SB

I use the stylus on my Surface Pro 2 essentially as a mouse replacement (the trackpad on the Type Cover is simply too small), but I'm disappointed by the accuracy. Especially at the edges of the screen it's really bad. I've tried calibrating plenty of times but the whole procedure is poorly thought out and not once have I ended up with a calibration which I felt was better than the factory default. I do know how to increase the number of calibration points so that's not it.

That said, I still very much like the idea of mobile devices becoming paper replacements, and it would be great if touch tech that supported both finger and stylus input became standard. But I think truly replacing paper requires better accuracy, higher friction, and less parallax.

Back