JPR Reports AMD Jumps 11% in GPU Shipments in Q2, Intel up 4%, Nvidia Slips >8%

gkar1

Regular
file.php

Quick highlights:

AMD’s overall unit shipments increased 11% quarter-to-quarter, Intel’s total shipments increased 4% from last quarter, and Nvidia’s decreased 8.3%.
The attach rate of GPUs (includes integrated and discrete GPUs) to PCs, for the quarter was 139% (up 3.2%) and 32% of PCs had discrete GPUs, (down 3.6%) which mean 68% of the PCs are using the embedded graphics in the CPU.
The overall PC market increased 1.3% quarter-to-quarter, and decreased 1.7% year-to-year.
Desktop graphics add-in boards (AIBs) that use discrete GPUs declined 17.5%.

The quarter in general

AMD's shipments of desktop heterogeneous GPU/CPUs, i.e., APUs increased 16.7% from the previous quarter, and increased 10.3% in notebooks. AMD's discrete desktop shipments decreased 10.7% and notebook discrete shipments increased 30.6%. The company's overall PC graphics shipments increased 11%.
Intel's desktop processor embedded graphics (EPGs) shipments increased from last quarter by 7.2%, and notebooks increased by 1.9%. The company's overall PC graphics shipments increased 4.1%.
Nvidia's desktop discrete shipments decreased 21% from last quarter; and the company's notebook discrete shipments increased 6.9%. The company's overall PC graphics shipments decreased 8.3%.
Year-to-year this quarter AMD's overall PC shipments decreased 22%, Intel increased 4.2%, Nvidia decreased 12.7%, and others essentially went away.
Total discrete GPU (desktop and notebook) shipments from the last quarter decreased 3.6%, and decreased 13.3% from last year. Sales of discrete GPUs fluctuate due to a variety of factors (timing, memory pricing, etc.) and the influence of integrated graphics. Overall, the trend for discrete GPUs has increased with a CAGR from 2014 to 2017 now of -5.6% (from -10%).
Ninety nine percent of Intel's non-server processors have graphics, and over 65% of AMD's non-server processors contain integrated graphics; AMD still ships integrated graphics chipsets (IGPs).

Year-to-year for the quarter, the graphics market decreased. Shipments were down 3.2 million units from this quarter last year, which is a smaller decline than last quarter and suggests the big declines may be leveling off.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/jpr-reports-amd-jumps-11-230100404.html

Steam hardware survey distribution of discrete DX11 GPUs is heavily skewed in nVidia's favor. Could explain why they seem to be doing ok even though overall PC shipments are down.

I haven't looked at those numbers in a long time but I don't remember it ever being that one sided.

With pretty charts: http://jonpeddie.com/news/comments/gpu-shipments-marketwatch-q2-2014-charts-and-images/

Unfortunately there are no market share figures for discrete graphics, which would be a lot more interesting in my opinion.

This. Also revenue share would also be interesting.

With Nvidia having a blow out quarter in earnings and AMD's cratering (and predicting even worse next quarter) AMD must have been giving away GPUs for next to nothing.

You can grow unit share if you dump product.

I think the GPU business of AMD was the only one that was somewhat decent.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8270/amd-q2-2014-quarterly-earnings-analysis

Graphics and Visual Solutions continued its strong performance from last quarter with an increase in revenue of 5% from last quarter, and 141% year-over-year. AMD once again attributes this gain to semi-custom SoC shipments which likely mean Game Console sales. GPU revenue was down both sequentially and year-over-year but slightly offset by an increase in professional graphics and desktop OEM GPUs. Overall operating income for the segment was $82 million, down from $91 million last quarter and up from a breakeven point in Q2 2013. GPU ASP decreased compared to both last quarter and Q2 of last year.
GPU revenues and ASPs declined Q-to-Q and Y-to-Y.

Ok, clearly not as great as I remembered! ;)

New chips can't come soon enough. And it remains to be see if they'll be able to compete against upcoming Maxwells. If gm107 is an indication, that may be a tall order.

Well, Tonga is supposed to be released in a few days, so we should be able to answer that soon.

Ok, clearly not as great as I remembered! ;)

New chips can't come soon enough. And it remains to be see if they'll be able to compete against upcoming Maxwells. If gm107 is an indication, that may be a tall order.

For be honest, im a bit surprised to see this numbers for both AMD and Nvidia, taking in account they have not release anything really new since a while ( well the 750TI but otherwise it was a white calm ).

Well, Tonga is supposed to be released in a few days, so we should be able to answer that soon.

I will not use Tonga for compare to Maxwell... If it is really based on Hawaii, outside maybe some process optimisation, its like compare Maxwell to Kepler.

It look like Tonga should have been released in the R9 series following the 290-290x for middle range. I even ask me if they dont release it today just because they have use it for the Firepro W7100 using a particular IP just for 1 Firepro GPU, it will not be excellent money wise.

Maxwell benefit of the process amelioration but too of new architecture. ( and the 750TI is extremely simplified )

Last edited by a moderator:
For be honest, im a bit surprised to see this numbers for both AMD and Nvidia, taking in account they have not release anything really new since a while ( well the 750TI but otherwise it was a white calm ).

I will not use Tonga for compare to Maxwell... If it is really based on Hawaii, outside maybe some process optimisation, its like compare Maxwell to Kepler.

It look like Tonga should have been released in the R9 series following the 290-290x for middle range. I even ask me if they dont release it today just because they have use it for the Firepro W7100 using a particular IP just for 1 Firepro GPU, it will not be excellent money wise.

Maxwell benefit of the process amelioration but too of new architecture. ( and the 750TI is extremely simplified )

I don't think anyone (who can talk about it publicly) really understands what AMD is doing. Tonga is supposed to be a Volcanic Islands chip, but apparently CodeXL generates different code for it, suggesting at least ISA changes. Volcanic Islands has been around since Bonaire came out in April 2013, which makes it somewhat old, therefore some changes do seem likely.

But then AMD is also expected to release Fiji next year, which is rumored to be a Pirate Islands GPU, but its name doesn't really support that. Then again, AMD's insular names don't always match the product family very well, and said product families are sometimes marketing constructs more than technical ones.

To sum up, this confuses the hell out of me, which just might be precisely AMD's goal.

Yeah thats sure, im in the same case, with the 28>20nm process problem, i think plan have change ( again ). So i cant tell what is coming next.

But anyway, contrary at Maxwell, i dont think Tonga is a new architecture, so i see 2 solutions, a mix between Thaiti and Hawaii, or a refined Hawaii for middle range. But i dont think it is a good idea to try compare Tonga with Maxwell for got an idea of the performance / improvement of next generation.

The only thing i expect for this next 23th session is to have a roadmap for be honest. ( and it is maybe ask to much allready ) Like that we will at least now what is coming next.

Back