Xbox One: TV Streaming to SmartGlass Enabled Devices

iroboto

Daft Funk
Legend
Supporter
http://majornelson.com/2014/08/12/k...w-ways-watch-tv-usb-dlna-support-coming-soon/

Stream TV to SmartGlass – launching first in markets receiving the Xbox Digital TV Tuner, Xbox One owners will be able to stream their TV across their home network to their smartphones and tablets using the Xbox SmartGlass app. They can also pause, play and rewind as well as change channels, without interrupting gameplay on the Xbox One. This will work for SmartGlass apps on Windows, iOS, and Android.

Any idea how this might have been pulled off without performance impact? You've still got to encode the TV stream packet it off and ship it out.

Any idea how this might have been pulled off without performance impact? You've still got to encode the TV stream packet it off and ship it out.
Done by an app using the CPU/GPU reserve for that OS.

Exactly the same mechanism as game recording / streaming. Most CPU's/GPU's have dedicated fixed function encode engines that can encode a data stream and spit it out as H.264 video. Video streaming, cloud gaming (local and wide area) are all using basically the same tech as this.

Unless they've included multiple encode engines I wouldn't expect this to be working in conjunction with game recording at the same time though.

Is streaming HD content so trivial that 2 jaguar cores and crush it?
I would imagine the stream is coming in from the USB stick encoded as an MP4 steam and will be retransmitted encoded as so it's just shuffling data from here to here. The only device that needs to decode it is the device displaying it and most mobile chips have long has hardware MP4 decode.

Thinking about it further, it probably isn't even an app - just an addition to the core OS.

I would imagine the stream is coming in from the USB stick encoded as an MP4 steam and will be retransmitted encoded as so it's just shuffling data from here to here. The only device that needs to decode it is the device displaying it and most mobile chips have long has hardware MP4 decode.

Thinking about it further, it probably isn't even an app - just an addition to the core OS.

You're streaming tv. It's supposed to be working with the digital tuner add-on first. I'm guessing there are some barriers from streaming from the HDMI in?

In first with "streaming to competition devices but not WMC wtf"

You're streaming tv. It's supposed to be working with the digital tuner add-on first. I'm guessing there are some barriers from streaming from the HDMI in?

Well that say stream TV and the feature is launching first in those markets getting the USB tuner stick. They didn't say it could stream the input from HDMI in although I can''t imagine why this would be a problem either, technically.

Doesn't the Xbox one has a MP4 hardware encoder? Actually now I say it, I can't recall reading about it. But that could be that Microsoft haven't mentioned or used it yet.

Yea, the HDCP protection I'm guessing required by cable companies - might be holding up that aspect; the part I was most interested in knowing about.

As for the TV Tuner, I agree with DSoup, it's could be re-transmitted, for such a small device to be both antennae and a h.264 encoder is impressive though.

edit: thanks Dave.

The audio chip on the X1 is starting to make more sense now to me.

Xb1 allows up to 16 smart glass connected devices, how does this streaming work with multiple devices connected? How do the still achieve QOS guarantees under multiple connected smart glass devices.. VM only goes so far?

Stream TV to SmartGlass – launching first in markets receiving the Xbox Digital TV Tuner, Xbox One owners will be able to stream their TV across their home network to their smartphones and tablets using the Xbox SmartGlass app. They can also pause, play and rewind as well as change channels, without interrupting gameplay on the Xbox One. This will work for SmartGlass apps on Windows, iOS, and Android.

that's interesting, so basically having the TV "snapped" to mobile devices.

Xb1 allows up to 16 smart glass connected devices, how does this streaming work with multiple devices connected? How do the still achieve QOS guarantees under multiple connected smart glass devices.. VM only goes so far?

And to follow up. What of you had both TV Tuner and HDMI in? Could you stream two separate streams to different devices?

There are likely heavy restrictions in place.

There's no information on how many Glass devices Xbox One will support simultaneously but QOS is used by the router/host to work out which traffic, like streaming video, get bandwidth priority. If there are multiple devices are all claiming to be priority for streaming then the Xbox/Glass device could a) tell the nth user that too many devices are streaming, or b) it'd continuously reduce the quality of streamed video so the total bandwidth required to stream to all devices simultaneously fits within the wireless bandwidth offered by the network.

But I'm betting they'll just limit the simultaneous number of devices which can be streamed too.

And to follow up. What of you had both TV Tuner and HDMI in? Could you stream two separate streams to different devices?

There are likely heavy restrictions in place.

It looks like the it's strictly a "TV streaming" functionality tied to the USB digital TV tuner, ergo, I don't think those would be supported scenarios.

that's interesting, so basically having the TV "snapped" to mobile devices.
Not the feature I am most interested in, but TV... yes. I could have the Xbox One working for hours if that was the case.

Too bad I love football but most of the matches are "pay per view" so I have to go to the nearest bar with that kind of service and full league matches, if not, I would "imprison" and confine myself in my room to watch certain sports.

This and MKV format support will make Xbox One a true multimedia device, according to this article (plus other features, just hope it can act as a Media extender)

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-life/item/37959-microsoft-to-finally-make-x

Yea, the HDCP protection I'm guessing required by cable companies - might be holding up that aspect; the part I was most interested in knowing about.

As for the TV Tuner, I agree with DSoup, it's could be re-transmitted, for such a small device to be both antennae and a h.264 encoder is impressive though.

It's a DVBT/T2 tuner - the broadcasts are already MPEG-2 or h.264, depending on whether it's an SD or HD channel (at least here in the UK). They shouldn't need to be transcoded unless they wanted to change the resolution or bitrate.

Back