Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice [PS4, 4Pro, XO, OneX, XBSX|S]

I'm hoping the name similarity extends to a story relation to Heavenly Sword. Otherwise the name is horrifically derivative.

Heavenly Sword was my first game I finished on PS3. The game with soul, cutscenes with Nariko are heartbreaking. I want her back :(

Ninja Theory are a talented studio. It's nice to see they're alive and back working on new IP again.

They do really well with story-telling and action adventure games. Enslaved though flawed was enjoyable. But I was too annoyed about DMC being basically a big f**k you to the fans from Capcom to buy and play that game.

I do hope this is like a spiritual sequel to Heavenly Sword. The name kinda gives off that sort of vibe. Kind of the Dark Souls, to Sony's Demon's Souls

I just hope this plays better and more consistent than Heavenly Sword did at the time. I haven't played any Ninja Theory game since... But yeah, I like what has been shown so far. :)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-18-ninja-theory-dont-call-hellblade-heavenly-sword-2

Self published download title. I'm guessing they benefit from Sony's Pub fund for PS4 launch and will then release multiplat.

Sounds like Sony kicking in marketing funds and stuff to buy an exclusive. Not bad. At least it is getting made.

I like their comments on how DD makes this possible, and if not for DD, it is unlikely the game would get made. Hopefully the game is good. Self publishing via DD should also allow them to potentially experiment more with the game without having to justify elements of the game to the big dollars associated with AAA physical distribution.

As they say, AAA polish with indie sensibilities. Will have to keep an eye on this.

Regards,
SB

Sounds like Sony kicking in marketing funds and stuff to buy an exclusive.
Not sure about that. It might be, but you also get more general collaborations. Sony's pub fund is exactly that, offering funding for indies in return for some exclusivity, and that puts the onus on the indies to apply for the fund. So it could be Sony said, "here's some support if you let us have Hellblade exclusive for the first six months," and it could also be that Ninja Theory said, "hey, can we make use of your pub fund option and give you six months exclusivity for some investment in our game?"

I like their comments on how DD makes this possible, and if not for DD, it is unlikely the game would get made. Hopefully the game is good. Self publishing via DD should also allow them to potentially experiment more with the game without having to justify elements of the game to the big dollars associated with AAA physical distribution.
I'm curious if the changes to patching costs means we'll see some more iterative developments of games? Sony have talked about Early Access-style options. Conceptually the only thing holding that back is the platform holder's QA. If they relax this, self-publishers can sell the game in whatever state they want and handle the consequences themselves. For the curated console experience, the platform holders would have to isolate these games from full games.

Here's an interview with Dominic Matthews from Ninja Theory about Hellblade.

I get the impression the timed exclusivity has more to do with team size and limited resources than pub funds or additional support. That, however, is not spelled out clearly. It could very well be a combination of the 2 along with other factors as well.

Back