Your brain sucks at videogames - For RAGE gamers

the lag is worse than that. a while ago theres article about kinect lag. and the lag between seeing and "acting" is in hundereds of milisecons.

edit
he said about peole brain are different, some good and some just laggy. But the same thing also can be blamed to video games. Battlefield* games is much more laggy than source games.

*i have not tried BF4 after they fix the netcode in july/august.

Yeah, the brain is pretty high-latency, but
1-the predictive mechanisms (and pipelining) mean that we can sometimes still pick out timing offsets with precision that's pretty good considering the latency,
2-let's not try to pretend like network behavior doesn't regularly screw with stuff, especially in the glorious world of peer-to-peer asynchronous games.

^^ my little brother using that exact tool to do research about video game effect in human reaction time.

spoiler:
the research result is
yeah, video game do reduce the lag in human response time

BTW if you want to"test" yourself: Human reaction time benchmark.
I got around 280ms, but well, I didn't try in the most comfortable position. Not so bad.

1-the predictive mechanisms (and pipelining) mean that we can sometimes still pick out timing offsets with precision that's pretty good considering the latency,
2-let's not try to pretend like network behavior doesn't regularly screw with stuff, especially in the glorious world of peer-to-peer asynchronous games.
I'd add that even if you are a few miliseconds behind what's actually happening on the screen when you play a game, the most important detail is that it is a constant, so your brain might be constantly behind of what's happening but the processing is transparent to you.

I mean, if you see a bullet from an enemy coming at you, it doesn't matter if you are a few miliseconds behind, you can dodge with awesome cunning and evasiveness 'cos you will see everything as it is happening at present time.

I don't disagree with either of those things, but we've all gamed with that guy who throws a fit playing some game because the game is, "not doing what I'm telling it to do." I know one guy in particular who freaks out over Xbox Live playing FIFA and all you hear is, "That's not the button I pushed ... That's not the direction I was pushing ... The controls are broken ... I HIT SHOOT ... Oh my god, the game never does what I tell it to." I'd say he has a really laggy connection, but his brother is playing at the same time, in the same house on the same router, and his game is fine. Could be the difference in tvs, but I knew kids like that playing local co-op on NES and Super Nintendo.

I was 280ms first average. 247ms second time. More tries hover around the 270 ms mark. That's curious because I've always considered myself to have fast reactions. I'm very good at preventing accidents by catching, stabilising, or intercepting objects falling etc. I suppose that comes under time to process as well as time to recognise something has happened.

For what is worth here's my average...for now:

The test is very problematic for me anyway given that I am color blind.

Last edited by a moderator:
I blame my mac, I think it added alot :p

I got about 350ms on average, but the laptop is also on wifi I am trying to debug... clinging to any excuse.......

Obviously that flash file is switching to green randomly without having to load any data from the net so unfortunately your wifi doesn't have anything to do with it ;)

Yesterday I had an average of 240, today 194. I had one lucky 90ms click.

1-the predictive mechanisms (and pipelining) mean that we can sometimes still pick out timing offsets with precision that's pretty good considering the latency.
This is actually a really important point. With a reaction time of 270 ms, as far as my brain is concerned I'm still pressing the button as soon as the colour changes. But if I had 270 ms from pressing a button to waiting to see the result on screen, I'd consider that an age.

Music (games) shows that a timing difference even as low as 20 ms can feel laggy. Ergo, direct reaction time is just a small part of the experience.

yups, playing guitar hero clone using my wireless keyboard is unbearable. Alhough the lag only about 50 ms and works perfectly fine for typing and doing photo editing.

273ms average, my lowest was 235ms. 43 and getting sloooooooower :yep2:

Lowest average 218 but highest average was around 280ms. The average "average" around the 243 or something

Back