Cops behavior in Netherlands

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
Hi, a few days ago i saw a car accident in netherlands and to my surprise, the cops are very helpful. They calmly handle the incident and help those involved. No yelling.

O_O

how can they so different with cops in my country :(

a quick google search for
Netherland cop
American cop
indonesian cop

also paints very different picture. Indonesian looks like american lol.

That is what happens in a civilized country.

Shouting or yelling like an idiot isn't going to help, so why would you? Especially in something like a traffic accident where the cops are only there to control the situation between two other parties.

yeah, it was awesome scene to see the cop really do a good work. I dont know why in my country is normal for them to be rude, to yell :/

yeah, it was awesome scene to see the cop really do a good work. I dont know why in my country is normal for them to be rude, to yell :/

Perhaps because people tend to be rude to cops too.

Well, if you want to test their patience, then tell them "You germans are the nicest people in the world" :D

thats rude. Is like saying "You malaysian are the nicest peple in the world" to indonesian.

@ToTTenTranz
in indonesia, people usually afraid of cop and always tries to make peace (by bargaining how much to bribe them). If you dont acknowledge their need for bribery, they become even more rude. Although if you are firm, they also can do nothing other than being rude (and scary with various threats).

German and Dutch has common ancestors (even the dutch national anthem contains a line with "german blood"). If you are in a noisy room and hear conversations indirectly you can mistake one for the other, its kinda like many slavic languages sound similar.

But the key point is just that they dont like germans much. And no, usually telling them once is enough ;)

If you are in a noisy room and hear conversations indirectly you can mistake one for the other
Totally different, dutch is far more nasal, coupled with the fact germans typically have deep voices (the womans voices are lower than some countries male voices)

@ToTTenTranz
in indonesia, people usually afraid of cop and always tries to make peace (by bargaining how much to bribe them). If you dont acknowledge their need for bribery, they become even more rude. Although if you are firm, they also can do nothing other than being rude (and scary with various threats).

There you have it. In that case cops aren't there to actually help they are there just to make some extra money. Essentially they are nothing more than legalized criminals. Not surprising they use anger/fear/aggression to get what they want.

There is no such need in The Netherlands (or many other countries) as there is no/little corruption. In such a case there is no point in getting angry or yelling and staying calm is the best thing you can do as a cop.

Oh and no Dutch person will get angry if you call them a German, they might think you are a dickhead or tell you to piss off but thats about it.

It's very likely similar to Canadians being taken for Americans abroad. We're both so used to it, we take it for granted.

Generally Germans and Dutch get along quite well. But we were neighbours in the second world war and we were not allies. These days though, that's thankfully a long time ago.

Doesnt match with my experiences, I know a few encounters where Dutchies where alot more friendly after learning you come from Austria (that bit of an understatement) and one where a couple of my friends were threatened to leave.
Course its some personal experiences (most Dutchies are nice all around) and you cant generalize, but together with Dutch leaving out the part with "Duitse bloed" in their anthem and some bad memories of WW2 I think there are still some tensions.

Doesnt match with my experiences, I know a few encounters where Dutchies where alot more friendly after learning you come from Austria (that bit of an understatement) and one where a couple of my friends were threatened to leave.
Course its some personal experiences (most Dutchies are nice all around) and you cant generalize, but together with Dutch leaving out the part with "Duitse bloed" in their anthem and some bad memories of WW2 I think there are still some tensions.

Oh there are definitely still situations where you get bullshit. But those are the same kind of people, imho, that harrass ambulance personnel when they are trying to do their job (a big scandal here but recurring problem).

Back