party games for PS4,XO?

joker454

Veteran
Hey guys, I'm hoping y'all can help me out here since I'm not really up to speed on the party game scene at the moment...so I had a few questions.

I recently bought Just Dance 2014 for ps4 for the girls that stay at my film house and they happily bounce around to it but apparently the camera doesn't always work right. The game box says it also works with Move controllers, has anyone here played this game with those and if so does it work better than with just the camera?

Also are there any other party game recommendations for the ps4? This would be primarily for girls in the 18-26 year old range. They don't care about anything technical, they just want to bounce around and have fun.

Finally...I was thinking of adding an xbox one to the house as well if it has fun party games for the girls that aren't already on ps4. Fitness stuff isn't that important since the house already has a dedicated gym area. Are there any must have party games on xb1 that aren't on ps4? If so I'll get an xb1 as well otherwise I'll just stick to the existing ps4.

Thanks for any help!

Hey guys, I'm hoping y'all can help me out here since I'm not really up to speed on the party game scene at the moment...so I had a few questions.

I recently bought Just Dance 2014 for ps4 for the girls that stay at my film house and they happily bounce around to it but apparently the camera doesn't always work right. The game box says it also works with Move controllers, has anyone here played this game with those and if so does it work better than with just the camera?

Also are there any other party game recommendations for the ps4? This would be primarily for girls in the 18-26 year old range. They don't care about anything technical, they just want to bounce around and have fun.

Finally...I was thinking of adding an xbox one to the house as well if it has fun party games for the girls that aren't already on ps4. Fitness stuff isn't that important since the house already has a dedicated gym area. Are there any must have party games on xb1 that aren't on ps4? If so I'll get an xb1 as well otherwise I'll just stick to the existing ps4.

Thanks for any help!

So these films you make... :sly:

There's not much for either box. You may want to look to older machines. Classics like Dance Dance on the mat - that might be new and exciting for many. I'd be wary about XB360 Kinect games. There's potential there but make sure reviews find if they're accurate or not. Singstar's a classic when it arrives, and now you can use your phone for a microphone. Sony should really integrate a mic in Move though - it's perfect as a handheld microphone and then a break into arm waving!

Why there's no EyeToy Play type thing for PS3 or PS4 boggle my mind. You have the Play Room free on PS4 that might keep them occupied for a spell.

if you willing to go to last gen, X360 and Wii have a few fun games for party.

X360
Kinect Sports
Double Fine kinect game (forgot the name, it give Augmented Reality to your room).
dance central

Wii
Wii Sports all series

and it ends?
yikes. Those game was fun but i just realized there were so little amount of party games!

Sports Friends has Johan Sebastian Joust which would be another great use for Move controllers with the PS4.

For Xbox1 there is Just Dance 2014, Kinect Sports Rivals, Fighter Within, Peggle 2, Zoo Tycoon, Powerstar Golf, Angry Birds Star Wars, Zumba Fitness World Party & Xbox Fitness.

Tommy McClain

There's not much for either box. You may want to look to older machines. Classics like Dance Dance on the mat - that might be new and exciting for many. I'd be wary about XB360 Kinect games. There's potential there but make sure reviews find if they're accurate or not. Singstar's a classic when it arrives, and now you can use your phone for a microphone.

That's how it started actually, a girl asked if she could hook her ps2 to the tv to play Dance Dance Revolution, so I figured I should add a more modern console to the mix. Not sure about old kinect games either as the room is a bit dark so it might not work too well. I was hopeful for Kinect 2.0 as light doesn't affect it but after doing some research I'm oddly not finding many party games for it, although I thought maybe that's because mainstream gaming websites don't tend to cover those sorts of things much. I forgot about Singstar! Cool yeah that's an absolute must they will love that, some googling says it's coming out for the holiday so I'll grab that then, thx.

if you willing to go to last gen, X360 and Wii have a few fun games for party.

I was hoping to stick to newer consoles just to have a one box does it all kinda thing, to keep it simpler. It's mostly used for Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime, along with playing dvd's and gaming. I figured better to stick to the new boxes since that's where all the updates and new stuff will be. I wasn't sure about the Wii U either, their stuff looks a bit to oriented towards young kids.

and it ends?
yikes. Those game was fun but i just realized there were so little amount of party games!

Yeah I'm kind of surprised as well, that's why I posted here because I did some research and wasn't turning up much of anything so I figured I'd ask.

Sports Friends has Johan Sebastian Joust which would be another great use for Move controllers with the PS4.

Cool I hadn't heard of that one. The four controller games look fun as well although I'm not sure if they quite have the dexterity to play those sorts of things, some of them are gamer girls that have finished games like Fallout New Vegas multiple times but some have never touched a controller. I'll check it out though, thx.

If anyone has played Just Dance 2014 on a ps4 with move controllers, let me know what you think of it!

I haven't actually played it, but as I've always been very much into the Move thing, I know Just Dance 2014 with Move controllers is basically the same as the Wii Motion Plus enabled version of Just Dance. It follows the gyroscope only, so it's not terribly accurate (you can cheat just as easily as with the Wii) and the Dual Shock would have been just as good, but definitely better than the camera in this first release.

The next release on next-gen console will actually use iOS and Android apps on your gyro enabled smartphone and allow you to play the game with as many players you want at the same time.

And yeah, Singstar is very good, look forward to seeing that on PS4 as well. Hopefully I can bring along some DLC from PS3, as I have quite a lot.

I don't know if you've tried the PS Camera pack-in with the little Robots, but it has one or two fun things to do in there as well.

And boy I've always really liked the old DDR games. I still have an import of the DDR Extreme 10th edition, which was fantastic. The new roommate of someone I play music with happens to be a DDR nut and has two hooked up to his PC, which has some public domain game that basically has all songs ever made for any version of DDR, and it was so great to play that again. Muscle memory kicked in very quickly!

I don't know if you've tried the PS Camera pack-in with the little Robots, but it has one or two fun things to do in there as well.

There's a pack-in game? I did the guy thing and setup the camera and tossed the box in a closet, didn't even look to see if there was a pack-in game, I'll check again for that. I guess I'll hold off on move controllers for now, doesn't sound like they will significantly add to the experience. Do you know if the camera works better if it's high up, like mounted on top of the tv? Right now I have it below the tv on the tv stand which is maybe 2.5 feet off the ground.

I think Arwin is talking about The Playroom, which is pre-installed on every PS4. I think there's a few mini games, and there's DLC as well. It makes the best use of the camera from what I've seen.

I haven't played Just Dance, but I've read that it's better with the move controller vs just the camera.

I think Arwin is talking about The Playroom, which is pre-installed on every PS4. I think there's a few mini games, and there's DLC as well. It makes the best use of the camera from what I've seen.

Ah ok explains why I missed it, I haven't explored the menu's much. I'll check it out.

There's a pack-in game? I did the guy thing and setup the camera and tossed the box in a closet, didn't even look to see if there was a pack-in game, I'll check again for that. I guess I'll hold off on move controllers for now, doesn't sound like they will significantly add to the experience. Do you know if the camera works better if it's high up, like mounted on top of the tv? Right now I have it below the tv on the tv stand which is maybe 2.5 feet off the ground.

The Play-Room is basically a demo of the capabilities of the new controller and the camera. It may help you decide what setup is best. It's surprisingly well-made and funny. There's not a whole lot of game in it, but it's worth checking out. It's also been used as a twitch vehicle for broadcasting as being AR, it shows your living room and yourself, and is or will soon (haven't been checking) be updated to actually facilitate that, with interactivity like being able to ask the audience questions and make short quizzes and such.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/09/sonys-next-update-for-playroom-will-bring-custom-ar-broadcast-s/

For Xbox1 there is Just Dance 2014, Kinect Sports Rivals, Fighter Within, Peggle 2, Zoo Tycoon, Powerstar Golf, Angry Birds Star Wars, Zumba Fitness World Party & Xbox Fitness.

Tommy McClain
I'd add Angry Birds Star Wars to your Xbox One list, although there are some killer party apps there. In fact, like every single one of them.

Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes might be it too, in September. Powerstar Golf could make the cut if it had actual local multiplayer.

What about Worms: Battlegrounds?

Cool I hadn't heard of that one. The four controller games look fun as well although I'm not sure if they quite have the dexterity to play those sorts of things, some of them are gamer girls that have finished games like Fallout New Vegas multiple times but some have never touched a controller. I'll check it out though, thx.

If they go for those controller-based games PS4 has a number of other couch competitive titles like Nidhogg and Tower Fall: Ascension.

The Play-Room is basically a demo of the capabilities of the new controller and the camera. It may help you decide what setup is best. It's surprisingly well-made and funny. There's not a whole lot of game in it, but it's worth checking out. It's also been used as a twitch vehicle for broadcasting as being AR, it shows your living room and yourself, and is or will soon (haven't been checking) be updated to actually facilitate that, with interactivity like being able to ask the audience questions and make short quizzes and such.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/09/sonys-next-update-for-playroom-will-bring-custom-ar-broadcast-s/

The update is coming today:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/08/18/playroom-ar-studio-tonight-ps4/

Does that let you create videos for viewing on services line Vine or Twitter, or does it only work with Twitch? None of them use Twitch but they all live off places like Vine, Twitter and Snapchat.

Does that let you create videos for viewing on services line Vine or Twitter, or does it only work with Twitch? None of them use Twitch but they all live off places like Vine, Twitter and Snapchat.

You can broadcast to Twitch or Ustream natively. From there, you'd have to use those services export functionality (for example Twitch allows for easy export to YouTube). The process is simple, but not nearly to the same level of simplicity as pressing the Share button and uploading to service X. Beyond that, there's no easy built in way to capture a continuous stream of video without external hardware. There's a constant 15 minute rolling buffer but outside of the obvious time limitation, you can only upload video to Facebook or copy the saved video to external storage, The latter is obviously not as simple as "Press the Share button" so it may not fit your user's requirements.

You can upload screenshots captured with the Share button directly to Twitter, however.

You can broadcast to Twitch or Ustream natively. From there, you'd have to use those services export functionality (for example Twitch allows for easy export to YouTube). The process is simple, but not nearly to the same level of simplicity as pressing the Share button and uploading to service X. Beyond that, there's no easy built in way to capture a continuous stream of video without external hardware. There's a constant 15 minute rolling buffer but outside of the obvious time limitation, you can only upload video to Facebook or copy the saved video to external storage, The latter is obviously not as simple as "Press the Share button" so it may not fit your user's requirements.

You can upload screenshots captured with the Share button directly to Twitter, however.

Ok gotcha, yeah that wouldn't work for my needs partly because they don't use Twitch but also because even if they did their Twitch account would just get banned because of the type of stuff they would inevitably broadcast. It's why they don't use Facebook anymore for example, no point as their accounts just get locked whereas Vine and Twitter don't seem to care.

Back