Console Exclusives: Are you for or against them & why?

If buying choice is dictated by exclusive games there is no need to compete on hardware, no reason to develop the better machine.
Some people do this. I pick my console based on the games (specifically, the first party developer stable), not on the technology. I was happy with my choice of PlayStation 2 even though Xbox was more powerful. I was happy with my choice of PlayStation 3 even though multi-platform games were frequently better executed on Xbox 360.

However other people will chose based on other factors. Cost. Controllers. Performance. What their friends have. Ecosystem. USPs like Kinect. Combinations of those and other factors.

But I disagree with your statement. If Microsoft had released a box with the power of the Wii U, I doubt very much if they would have sold as many as they did with the actual Xbox One. Not trying to compete on hardware is going to lose some fans for whom performance is one of their higher priority factors.

Going by your opinion, you have only played Xbox exclusives. From such a (limited) point of view, I would agree. But its not really a valid opinion, unless you specify that you only have an Xbox

I'm not sure where you get that from. I own a 70's PONG machine, Intellivision, Odyssey, Atari 2600, Super Nintendo, N64, Wii, Sega Genesis, Sega Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, Xbox, Xbox 360, XBO and a few other Japan only consoles. I've played games on both the PS3 and PS4 at friends, but nothing has made me want to actually buy one except for TLOU. And I'm not buying a console for just one game. Oh and PC. And on that front I've owned and played games on C64, Amiga 500, Apple ]['s, Macs, TRS-80, IBM clones, and some other more obscure computer lines.

Hell, if I wasn't using XBO for the fitness programs, I'd really regret buying it as I only own one game for it that isn't fitness oriented. But have played many more than that, again those things called friends. Oh and if I had the PS4, I'd definitely regret it as the only game I'd own would be TLOU remastered, but wouldn't have the fitness apps to keep me using it.

So take your hypocrisy glasses off and stop trying to say other people's opinions are not valid. Everyone's opinion is valid. I'm pretty sure I own more consoles than you and have played more console games and console exclusives on more platforms than you have. I've been playing consoles since the 70's and in multiple countries. But I'm not about to say your opinion with regards to exclusives isn't valid.

Regards,
SB

But I disagree with your statement. If Microsoft had released a box with the power of the Wii U, I doubt very much if they would have sold as many as they did with the actual Xbox One. Not trying to compete on hardware is going to lose some fans for whom performance is one of their higher priority factors.

Well, I think both of you are right. If exclusives were the main reason people chose consoles, you could get away with lower spec hardware, because it wouldn't matter. At the same time, if you go too low, like the Wii U, your system literally could not run certain games, and in effect they become exclusive to other systems. Your library is limited. If you want Battlefield, you're not going to buy a Wii U. It's not exclusive to one platform, but it is excluded from Wii U.

70's PONG machine, Intellivision, Odyssey, Atari 2600, Super Nintendo, N64, Wii, Sega Genesis, Sega Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, Xbox, Xbox 360, XBO and a few other Japan only consoles

There is no exclusive that I have played that is obviously better than the best multiplatform games I've played. And there is no multiplatform game that is obviously better than the best exclusive that I have played.

ok.

? I'm not sure what is so hard to understand. The best exclusive on ANY platform. The best multiplatform on ANY platform. Neither holds an advantage over the other, IMO. Although one could give the nod to multiplatform just due to the fact that you aren't limited to single platform.

Regards,
SB

? I'm not sure what is so hard to understand. The best exclusive on ANY platform. The best multiplatform on ANY platform. Neither holds an advantage over the other, IMO. Although one could give the nod to multiplatform just due to the fact that you aren't limited to single platform.

Regards,
SB

I'm just saying I would love to have played multiplatform-games that are as good as Halo, SOTC, Super Mario, Sonic, Zelda, ICO, Perfect Dark, and so on.

since you're

pretty sure I own more consoles than you and have played more console games and console exclusives on more platforms than you have

You must have played more, not to mention, better, multiplatform games as well. I guess I just have to admit you are the better gamer, sorry for doubting your initial statement. I am pretty sure I would have the same opinion if I played such multiplatform games, so I respect that

The question is why, exclusives rate better?
I'm guessing the companies get a lot more support from the console manufacturers which enables them to produce a better technical game

Better than the average multiplatform game perhaps, which are far more numerous. But compared to the top 5% or 10% of multiplatform games that have access to a much larger revenue stream and thus development budget? Perhaps not.

The ratings may also reflect in part the additional hype exclusives get from both fans and press due to their significance in the console wars. Not to take anything away from those games but I'm guessing games like Uncharted, Titanfall and TLoU get more hype and praise as platform exclusives than they would if they were multiplatform. That's not to say they still can't be great games, but to put it another way, I can only imagine how much more hype GTA5 would have got had it been exclusive to Sony for example.

I'm just saying I would love to have played multiplatform-games that are as good as Halo, SOTC, Super Mario, Sonic, Zelda, ICO, Perfect Dark, and so on.

So since we're going back that far you must be suggesting that games such as Doom, Quake, Half Life, any GTA game, any Elder Scrolls game, any CoD game, any Final Fantasy game and any one of dozens of other high profile, classic multiplatform games cannot match any of the games you list above?

Although I will grant that several Mario games do stand in a league of their own.

So since we're going back that far you must be suggesting that games such as Doom, Quake, Half Life, any GTA game, any Elder Scrolls game, any CoD game, any Final Fantasy game and any one of dozens of other high profile, classic multiplatform games cannot match any of the games you list above? Although I will grant that several Mario games do stand in a league of their own.

There will never be unanimous consensus about which games are better thanks other because it's subjective. Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us really stood out for me last gen. But then so did GTA IV and V, Oblivion, Fallout 3 / New Vegas, Skyrim and Red Dead Redemption. As did Gears of War, Infamous and Journey. Unlike gaming websites, who like to rank games, I don't think I could objectively (or even subjectively) put those on a scale.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner.

I guess I just have to admit you are the better gamer, sorry for doubting your initial statement. I am pretty sure I would have the same opinion if I played such multiplatform games, so I respect that

You missed my point. It's not about being the better gamer (is there such a thing?). No-one's opinion is any more valid than another person's opinion. Your opinion is just as valid as mine. You may or may not have the same opinion as me if you played all the games I have. But it doesn't make your current opinion any less valid. :)

Just, respect other people's opinions.

Regards,
SB

What's your criteria for 'good'? Because lots of games that aren't exclusive have been 'good' by my reckoning. RDR, Portal 2, Mass Effect, Bioshock, FIFA, Elder Scrolls, MGS, Rock Band, GTA, Batman... It's not like exclusives have complete ownership of the highest ranking average scores to themselves. And if you move beyond just dumb scores and actually look at games people enjoy, lower ranked games can still be among the best for individuals.

I'm all for it as long as games are exclusive to the console(s) I own, and strongly against it otherwise !
;)

I don't really care all that much. I even think the whole platform-exclusives-are-necesary-for-pushing-the-hardware argument is kind of silly considering you have multi platform games like GTAV and Tomb Raider running circles around most exlcusives in terms of technical achievements. As for the whole focus testing thing. I'd argue that there wasn't a single big exclusive game with the kind of bite and balls GTA 5, Dragon's Dogma or the Souls games had.

Lol, the souls games started with Demon's Souls; an exclusive PS3 game :LOL:

Dragon's Dogma also isn't that impressive interms of scope. It certainly was in terms of game design and overall gameplay experience. However in terms of agregate critic reviews, Dragon's Dogma falls a bit behind many of the heavyweight exclusive titles. It also does do all that much technically (much of the game looks like ass, aside from its great art direction and particle effects which save it).

Tomb Raider also isn't at all impressive on a technical level, since it does little more than your typical uncharted game, and by all accounts looks worse by a reasonable margin (that's not to say its a bad looking game mind).

I'll certainly give you GTA 5 and games like Skyrim, Fallout, RDR etc. Since these games are the biggest and best multiplatform games, often very technically accomplished and with production values that rival or even surpass the console exclusive games in many cases. These are however few and far between among multiplatform games, because they cost significantly more to make (2-4 year dev cycles) and thus require a large enough installed base in order to recoup their massively inflated production costs.

I think there is a point to be made about platform exclusive games being necessary to push the HW, since looking at games like Gears, Halo, Uncharted, Killzone, GOWIII, these are all games developed on 18-24 month dev cycles at a fraction of the cost of the biggest multiplatform games (certainly true in the case of GTA5). Yet they are typically lauded as some the best if not the best looking games on their respective platforms, with production values that rival and more often than not surpass the bigdogs multiplats. This is only possible in because the devs need only focus on a single platform. This greater development efficiency means that we can have more of these games per generation, than the biggest multiplatform titles:

GTA - 2x
Fallout - 2x
RDR - 1x
Elder Scrolls - 1x

Gears - 4x
Halo - 4x (5 if you include Halo Wars)
Uncharted - 3x
Killzone - 2x
GOW - 2x

Essentially the point I'm making is that, if every game was multiplatform, and as big and costly as GTA 5, in order to maintain such a high standard of polish and visual fidelity in order to match what a first party studio might produce, then the industry would crash because gamers would have significantly less games available to play on their newly bought boxes.

Its no wonder then that exclusives get some much love from the gamer community, since exclusive devs tend to more consistently and more frequently push out games reaching that gold standard in visual, production and often gameplay quality.

GTA - 2x
Fallout - 2x
RDR - 1x
Elder Scrolls - 1x

Gears - 4x
Halo - 4x (5 if you include Halo Wars)
Uncharted - 3x
Killzone - 2x
GOW - 2x

No offense but that's a completely ludicrous comparison. What happens when we add in Assassins Creed, CoD or any EA sports game into that mix?

No offense but that's a completely ludicrous comparison. What happens when we add in Assassins Creed, CoD or any EA sports game into that mix?

It's completely not. You miss the point because the original point being argued was about "games that push the HW on a technical level"; which neither of the games you mentioned do... even remotely.

I was arguing about games that meet the gold stanrdard in production values and quality. The games you mentioned only go to prove my point, as those annualized conveyor belt developed sequels are the very definition of average in terms of the quality of the production in each iteration. Neither compares favourably to the biggest exclusives, nor do they do so with the big multiplatform juggernauts like GTA 5 and RDR.

That's my whole point. The games with production values thet rival the exclusives, are the ones we ultimately get very few of in comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's completely not. You miss the point because the original point being argued was about "games that push the HW on a technical level"; which neither of the games you mentioned do... even remotely.
Personally I was blown away by Assassin's Creed technically. When I was first able to wander around a city full of citizens, I was desperately searching for the smoke and mirrors that made it all happen.

Modern Warfare also impressed me as well. I knew it was mostly art and sparkly physics trickery over what was really a fairly pedestrian engine but that game made me feel like I was in a real war zone.

Opinions will depend on whether or not people find exclusive games to be better than multi platform ones. Personally I don't find exclusive to be better for the most part, I tend to prefer multi platform games so exclusive games had little effect on me in modern gaming (definitely had more effect in 80s gaming though). The negative to me about exclusives is that being launched to a somewhat smaller audience means even more financial risk for them, something I'm not in favor of anymore. So in the end exclusives end up being yet one more financial risk added to the pile, more debt for console makers to have to make up meaning yet more years stuck with the same hardware as they keep trying to make all that money back. So I'd prefer no exclusives even though I can understand that they are yet another required debt risk in the ever expensive console game.

As for why reviewers tend to drool more over the big name exclusives, well I'm sure you guys can figure out why. It's all part of the game, it's a symbiotic relationship where reviewers need the console makers in order to do their job, and the console makers need reviewers to feed the hype machine so they can make back all that financial loss consoles always require. So play ball, and you can get better access on the next game. Simple.

Opinions will depend on whether or not people find exclusive games to be better than multi platform ones. Personally I don't find exclusive to be better for the most part, I tend to prefer multi platform games so exclusive games had little effect on me in modern gaming (definitely had more effect in 80s gaming though).
Further to my post above, I think we may as well abandon the point about which game was better. In terms of my engagement and connection (sorry!) then it's the The Last of Us. No contest. And when I played it was drained by poor survival horror games and had low expectations even from Naughty Dog. In terms of adranline-pumping jaw-dropping action Uncharted 2 is unparalleled to me. It's never been surpassed. Great story, great characters, great (and funny) dialogue. The first game that made me rub my eyes with nextgen disbelief? Gears of War. I played it on a friends 360 and knew I had to kiss goodbye to my PlayStation 2. However, if I reflect on the games that kept me playing the longest, gripped to exploring and unlocking the story? Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim.

How do you even weigh such experiences? I know I can't.

Joker454 said:
As for why reviewers tend to drool more over the big name exclusives, well I'm sure you guys can figure out why. It's all part of the game, it's a symbiotic relationship where reviewers need the console makers in order to do their job, and the console makers need reviewers to feed the hype machine so they can make back all that financial loss consoles always require. So play ball, and you can get better access on the next game. Simple.
If every exclusive game was highly rated, you might have a point. But examples in this thread are focussing on only the few top tier titles. There are plenty of mediocre and bad first/second party exclusives that the media hasn't been dishonest about, so your theory doesn't wash with me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_exclusives_%28seventh_generation%29

Pick some of those and see what the Gamerankings are. Plenty of 60s and 70s and even 50 percenters for all platforms.

Back