Console Exclusives: Are you for or against them & why?

I am in favour for console exclusives; as long as the platform doesn't hamper the game.
For example: The Wii could have MGS5 as an exclusive; but the developer could probably not realise its vision if there would be more powerful alternatives around.

In the more recent case of TitanFall: the game is struggling to hit even 45 fps very often; so it's a shame that this game runs only on Xbox One (or PC) but not on, lets say, more 'capable' consoles.
If the game was 60fps locked; then sure, let the whole series be exclusive to Xbox One. But not when the game suffers because of the platform.

Of course, on PC there are almost no limitations; but nobody in their right mind would produce a AAA budget exclusive game for the PC. Unless they want to go bankrupt :)

The only reason I would be against them is because of a few games I would want to play without having to spend an extra $300 to do so. Naturally I'm talking about the Nintendo games. There is nothing in the Sony exclusive camp that holds any interest.

I am for them in the sense that I really see a benefit in games that are completely optimized for the hardware and features of a particular platform.

I am against them if they would have been developed as a multi-platform title and would have been multi-platform save for the parting of cash from a platform holder, unless that was the only way the game could have been made.

here is the last decade of game of the year winners
20% true exclusive
30% semi exclusive
50% non exclusive

2014: The Last of Us // ps4 also
2013: Journey // ps4 also
2012: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
2011: Red Dead Redemption
2010: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
2009: Fallout 3
2008: Portal
2007: Gears of War pc also
2006: Shadow of the Colossus
2005: Half-Life 2

I just had a glance at what percentage of console games are exclusive, and its quite a big lower than these percentages. one would have to look at games >90% on gamerankings to see if they score higher than non exclusive games but based on this I'ld say develeoping exclusively results in a higher gameranking ranking

I am in favour for console exclusives; as long as the platform doesn't hamper the game.
For example: The Wii could have MGS5 as an exclusive; but the developer could probably not realise its vision if there would be more powerful alternatives around.

In the more recent case of TitanFall: the game is struggling to hit even 45 fps very often; so it's a shame that this game runs only on Xbox One (or PC) but not on, lets say, more 'capable' consoles.
If the game was 60fps locked; then sure, let the whole series be exclusive to Xbox One. But not when the game suffers because of the platform.

Of course, on PC there are almost no limitations; but nobody in their right mind would produce a AAA budget exclusive game for the PC. Unless they want to go bankrupt :)

LOL.

You are like comedic relief.

i personally hate exclusives. because with multiplatform game, i can play anywhere using anything*

*playing PC games <----> Tablet
*playing PS3 games <----> PS Vita (Crossbuy, crosssave)

but the best games i ever played all are or was exclusive :D

here is the last decade of game of the year winners
for which organisation? There are lots of different GotY awards given out, from trade bodies to arts companies to gaming press to user polls. Nintendo had plenty of GotY awards in 2005-2007, for example.

for which organisation? There are lots of different GotY awards given out, from trade bodies to arts companies to gaming press to user polls. Nintendo had plenty of GotY awards in 2005-2007, for example.
sorry I meant the industry ones
http://www.gamechoiceawards.com/
or
http://www.interactive.org/
which are practically the same

2013 The Last of Us
2012 Journey
2011 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
2010 Mass Effect 2
2009 Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
2008 LittleBigPlanet
2007 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
2006 Gears of War
2005 God of War
2004 Half-Life 2

The question is why, exclusives rate better?
I'm guessing the companies get a lot more support from the console manufacturers which enables them to produce a better technical game

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry I meant the industry ones
http://www.gamechoiceawards.com/
or
http://www.interactive.org/
which are practically the same

2013 The Last of Us
2012 Journey
2011 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
2010 Mass Effect 2
2009 Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
2008 LittleBigPlanet
2007 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
2006 Gears of War
2005 God of War
2004 Half-Life 2

The question is why, exclusives rate better?
I'm guessing the companies get a lot more support from the console manufacturers which enables them to produce a better technical game

These lists means nothing. All good games, but you'd be hard pressed for consensus on any of those picks. I happen to love some of those games, but I know a lot of people would disagree with them being considered the best games in the years they were released.

These lists means nothing. All good games, but you'd be hard pressed for consensus on any of those picks.
These are closest we have to the oscar's for games, so no just like the oscar's theres not gonna be a consensus, I only choose GOTY as its a nice small number to check i.e. 10 titles.
A better method is to choose eg gamerankings and see the ratio of exclusive vs non exclusive, from quickly looking the same holds true based on this, exclusive games tend to score quite a bit higher than non exclusive games those are the facts now the fun part is what are the reasons for this?
Which I'll leave to an excercise for the reader

I'm for exclusives. It gives the console some identity and a reason to own the thing. I don't complain about Nintendo second or third party or first party stuff. If you want the games, you buy the console, that's how its always been. A platform agnostic library leaves literally no point in owning more than one unit, which drives down competition and therefore choice.

Of course, the consoles exclusives i always got excited about were the Japanese kind...but since they all moved to mobage and soshge....

These are closest we have to the oscar's for games, so no just like the oscar's theres not gonna be a consensus, I only choose GOTY as its a nice small number to check i.e. 10 titles.
A better method is to choose eg gamerankings and see the ratio of exclusive vs non exclusive, from quickly looking the same holds true based on this, exclusive games tend to score quite a bit higher than non exclusive games those are the facts now the fun part is what are the reasons for this?
Which I'll leave to an excercise for the reader

And just like the Oscars, the best rated games aren't necessarily the most played, most loved, or most liked games. They just tend to have a very devoted following. And part of that following just happens to be on the voting panel.

In other words, they aren't necessarily the best games. Is it even possible to quantify such a thing when best game is so subjective?

Personally, I could go either way on exclusives. There is no exclusive that I have played that is obviously better than the best multiplatform games I've played. And there is no multiplatform game that is obviously better than the best exclusive that I have played.

Regards,
SB

And just like the Oscars, the best rated games aren't necessarily the most played, most loved, or most liked games. They just tend to have a very devoted following. And part of that following just happens to be on the voting panel.

In other words, they aren't necessarily the best games. Is it even possible to quantify such a thing when best game is so subjective?

Personally, I could go either way on exclusives. There is no exclusive that I have played that is obviously better than the best multiplatform games I've played. And there is no multiplatform game that is obviously better than the best exclusive that I have played.

Regards,
SB

Going by your opinion, you have only played Xbox exclusives. From such a (limited) point of view, I would agree. But its not really a valid opinion, unless you specify that you only have an Xbox

First party exclusives I'm all for. Platform holders need to invest in their own stable of devs who are not driven by having to work out the economics of their creative ventures and focus test their games up the wazoo. First part exclusives mean taking creative chances that you generally wouldn't see in multiplatform games at the AAA budget scope (as of course Indies do exist and are awesome).

Third party developed, first party published exclusives I'm also all for. As in most cases these tend to be games that third party multiplatform pubs have already turned their noses up at, for fear of the titles not selling because they don't contain enough guns/boobies/oscar mike.

Third party published exclusives however I believe the industry would be better off without. Since there's very few reasons why a third party publisher should not cast his net out as wide as possible and target the largest amount of platforms as makes economic sense for him. Doing so would yield a higher chance of selling sufficient copies so as to justify devs being allowed a bit more creative freedom in their AAA budget games.

I don't really care all that much. I even think the whole platform-exclusives-are-necesary-for-pushing-the-hardware argument is kind of silly considering you have multi platform games like GTAV and Tomb Raider running circles around most exlcusives in terms of technical achievements. As for the whole focus testing thing. I'd argue that there wasn't a single big exclusive game with the kind of bite and balls GTA 5, Dragon's Dogma or the Souls games had.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really care all that much. I even think the whole platform-exclusives-are-necesary-for-pushing-the-hardware argument is kind of silly considering you have multi platform games like GTAV and Tomb Raider running circles around most exlcusives in terms of technical achievements.

What if there were no platform exclusives right now. How many people would be buying Xbox One over PlayStation 4? You've really have to love that controller, the UI, and the Xbox Live to know that for the next 5+ years, you'll likely be playing games that are better on the other machine.

A competently executed Halo Master Chief Collection will justify my purchase of an Xbox One. I've not played Halo 4 and those four games collectively are a good few weeks worth of campaign gaming heaven for me. I love Halo - all four on one machine? AWESOME. Other future exclusives are icing on the cake, although there's nothing that springs to mind although I'm optimistic about a new Crackdown.

What if there were no platform exclusives right now. How many people would be buying Xbox One over PlayStation 4?
If buying choice is dictated by exclusive games there is no need to compete on hardware, no reason to develop the better machine.

And just like the Oscars, the best rated games aren't necessarily the most played, most loved, or most liked games.
Yes I implied that in my post. Personally I believe the oscars are a joke
Watching a film with the greatest film composer of all time last night (morricone OK thats subjective ;) but still ) and he never won an award, until 2007 when they decide hell he's in his 80s he'll prolly like die like hitchcock without an award lets give him an honorary oscar.
The most played I assume are the ones with the most sales
but the best, well we have the awards or the ratings but yes they are subjective.
Yes and DSoup is correct if there were no exclusives this time round the xbone would be dead, so exclusives are in MS's interest

Going by your opinion, you have only played Xbox exclusives. From such a (limited) point of view, I would agree. But its not really a valid opinion, unless you specify that you only have an Xbox

Let me guess: you were going to say that if he had a PS4 he wouldn't be saying that - he'd be saying that multiplatform games were much better than exclusives, right?

Back