Good space RTS?

Shifty is not doing his job. He should have banned the infidel who dares ask of PC games in the console gaming realm.
Shifty is therefore making an hubris to the Console Gods as his job as a gate keeper and destroyer of the PC giants has welcomed them and joined forces with the enemy.
I demand that he is ostracized and thrown to the deepest and lowest of the interdimensional worlds of the multiverse.

None that i know of, after trying Sins of the Solar Empire i was a bit dissapointed. If you enjoy space games you should take a look at Freelancer, very old game but with a very active community, not an RPG tho, it's more of an action game.

Shifty is not doing his job. He should have banned the infidel who dares ask of PC games in the console gaming realm.
Shifty is therefore making an hubris to the Console Gods as his job as a gate keeper and destroyer of the PC giants has welcomed them and joined forces with the enemy.
I demand that he is ostracized and thrown to the deepest and lowest of the interdimensional worlds of the multiverse.
Your approach is wrong. The deluded PC infidel has stumbled into the Righteous Realm of True Gaming. He should be welcomed and shown the light!

Although I don't know any RTSes coming to the consoles, especially not Space ones. I guess the OP is wanting control of fleets of ships and stuff. That sounds like the remit of indie PC titles. Maybe even mobile.

Gratuitous Space Battles is nice for quenching a space battle thirst.

Sins of a Solar Empire is ok. It's essentially a realtime Master of Orion. There are some mods for this too, including Star Trek Armada 3.

Fleet Operations is a quality mod for Star Trek Armada 2.

Is there any good space RTS, RPG coming soon for PC?
Well, they're re-making the Homeworlds over at Gearbox... They shouldn't be able to fuck it up, because unlike Duke Nukem Forever and Aliens: Colonial Marines, this one is a finished, high-quality title. :p They're just gonna polish it a bit for today's HD-kiddies.

Also, they're working on that new game in the Homeworld series by some of the original developers, whatsitscalled. It was gonna be an independent, vile F2P title "inspired" by the original homeworlds, but after Gearbox bought the franchise they either bought or funded this game as well and it'll be a REAL, full-price title YEEEAH! :LOL:

Is Planetary Annihilation out?, I seen a trailer and interview a good while ago. Else only thing space-related (with actual orbits) I've seen lately was Kerbal Space Program.

You can teleport between different planetary bodies (letting you zoom out to solar system level) and apparantly bombard your enemy with entire thruster-equipped moons, so it should be space-ISH, I think... Of course, you're still surface bound when doing actual fighting, no spaceships AFAIK (some satellite stuff though, but not really same thing), so it's not totally space-y, but REAL actual space RTSes are pretty dang rare really and have always been.

There were the homeworlds, and a Star Trek TNG RTS, and then there aren't that many more really. Part of the reason I think is that it's really tough to direct units in 3D space on a 2D display device. It's always going to be awkward and imprecise, and quite possibly confusing. In Homeworld, if you didn't have an asteroid or an enemy or such to directly target, getting your units to move to the correct area in all axes could be a real bitch, and if you misjudged, depending on the perspective the error margin could be gigantically huge, making some ships end up REALLY far away from where you wanted them.

They don't all use 3D space though. Probably less than half of the space strategy games I can think of. SoaSE doesn't unless you actually use the z-axis key, Armada 1/2 don't, Conquest FW doesn't, Star Wars Empire at War nope. Etc.

Anyway, lets see if the OP ever returns.

Back