Tekken 7 announcement leaked - Will use Unreal Engine 4 ?

That's the Arcade version already? When is it out on consoles??
I do hope they crank everything up to a million, given the limited environments and only 2 characters on screen. Make our eyes bleed, Namco!!!

What is a fighting simulator? And what does that have to do with the fact that Tekken, for better or for worse, moves exactly the same as it did 100 years ago?

What is a fighting simulator? And what does that have to do with the fact that Tekken, for better or for worse, moves exactly the same as it did 100 years ago?

It doesnt move exactly the same. The moves are the same but the animations were indeed refined numerous times. The series also has a huge legacy of moves and frame data that define the series' fighting mechanics. The creators cant ditch everything in favor of the most advanced animations created that may be oblivious of the mechanics in order to look the best. For the average joe it may not matter. He wants eye candy. But for a high level veteran, the frames and animation (for Kazuya's electrifying fist for example) define a strategy and years of practice and experience. The quality of the animations behave within the context of the legacy and gameplay mechanics for which the series is known for and this doesnt count just for Tekken. You will see it in every fighting game.

What is a fighting simulator?
Where the fighting is based on realistic human limits, weight transfer, and the animations match that.
And what does that have to do with the fact that Tekken, for better or for worse, moves exactly the same as it did 100 years ago?
Tekken has to move like that to be Tekken. It needs the same sudden animation transitions etc. It can't use something modern like human behavioural physics without changing the feel of the game and losing all its pace.

Where the fighting is based on realistic human limits, weight transfer, and the animations match that.
Tekken has to move like that to be Tekken. It needs the same sudden animation transitions etc. It can't use something modern like human behavioural physics without changing the feel of the game and losing all its pace.

Well that makes sense but it also kinda sucks balls. And not in a good way.
Don't know, it just all looks a bit dated. Will I still play it and love it? Yes of course. The only way to alleviate the sense of 7 déjà vu's, will be to really crank up details to extreme levels. Cause I'm a graphics whore.
And I'd love a new Tekken Tag with the new engine.

Its an arcade fighting game not a fighting simulator. What would you expect?

I expected something new in the animation department...not the same crap from PS2...

I don't want the same shit with prettier graphics. It seems they did not redo the animations at all...which means it probably isn't motion captured.

Capcom made huge strides in the animation department with their SF series and it's not a simulator and it doesn't rely on motion capture. The floatiness in this Tekken game is godawful just like the floatiness in the VF series.

Well that makes sense but it also kinda sucks balls. And not in a good way.
Don't know, it just all looks a bit dated.

And I thought I was the only one to see the datedness of the animation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guilty Gear series has the same specific animations, even on ps360, which of course are capable of smoother movements. It's a feature of the game. The same for tekken I think.

Guilty Gear series has the same specific animations, even on ps360, which of course are capable of smoother movements. It's a feature of the game. The same for tekken I think.

No it's not a "feature"...it's pure laziness and has the side benefit of being marketed by claiming to be a "nostalgic feature"...:LOL:

Again look at the SF series...WAY BETTER than the old crap animations.

BTW I cannot wait to buy my next car with crank windows...the dealership told me it's a feature that they call vintage..:LOL:

I expected something new in the animation department...not the same crap from PS2...

I don't want the same shit with prettier graphics. It seems they did not redo the animations at all...which means it probably isn't motion captured.

It seems you do not want a new tekken, you want some new type of fighting game or even fighting simulation?

Capcom made huge strides in the animation department with their SF series and it's not a simulator and it doesn't rely on motion capture. The floatiness in this Tekken game is godawful just like the floatiness in the VF series.

And I thought I was the only one to see the datedness of the animation.

Let me repost

It doesnt move exactly the same. The moves are the same but the animations were indeed refined numerous times. The series also has a huge legacy of moves and frame data that define the series' fighting mechanics. The creators cant ditch everything in favor of the most advanced animations created that may be oblivious of the mechanics in order to look the best. For the average joe it may not matter. He wants eye candy. But for a high level veteran, the frames and animation (for Kazuya's electrifying fist for example) define a strategy and years of practice and experience. The quality of the animations behave within the context of the legacy and gameplay mechanics for which the series is known for and this doesnt count just for Tekken. You will see it in every fighting game.

The fact that you said what you said about the VF animation shows exactly that you dont know the games you are commenting on.

I also find it quite ironic that you think SF4 has some state of the art animations.

And also the fact that Street Fighter was primarily a 2D fighting (that begun since the days that memory was not enough to hold too many sprites) hence you cant compare like for like the animations.

It seems you do not want a new tekken, you want some new type of fighting game or even fighting simulation?

I want a new improved Tekken...not the same old crap from the PS2 with shiny shine...I want animation that is on par with Soul Calibur series. This "new" Tekken looks soooooooo dated....

Let me repost

The fact that you said what you said about the VF animation shows exactly that you dont know the games you are commenting on.

I also find it quite ironic that you think SF4 has some state of the art animations.

And also the fact that Street Fighter was primarily a 2D fighting (that begun since the days that memory was not enough to hold too many sprites) hence you cant compare like for like the animations.

Just from the simple video you could tell the side kicks are horribly dated...there's more but no need to point it out...if it smells like shit, looks like shit then it probably IS shit...same shit different smell.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want a new improved Tekken...not the same old crap from the PS2 with shiny shine...I want animation that is on part with Soul Calibur series. This "new" Tekken looks soooooooo dated....

Just from the simple video you could tell the side kicks are horribly dated...there's more but no need to point it out...if it smells like shit, looks like shit then it probably IS shit...same shit different smell.

The Soul Calibur base mechanics where set in stone in 1999 and the animation system was build in those old foundations. It didnt get the huge animation upgrades that you think it got. You just like Soul Calibur's style. But judging from your comments I doubt you understand the depth of SC's mechanics either.

If you dont have a grasp of the game's mechanics you are in no position to understand the improvements and changes that were in the series for quite some time. Especially from "simple videos".

I mean.....old crap from the PS2 with shiny shine? Really? :LOL:

Engaging this conversation as a neutral party, videos of Soul Calibre IV do look 'smoother' and 'more realistic' than Tekken's old movements. However, I've no idea how the fighters play and whether SC plays the same as it used to. Tekken remains completely consistent with the timings, and any changes to animations would have to preserve that to keep the same experience. Of course, there's the option to change the animations and adjust the game, but that choice will potentially damage the franchise for its core fans. At the end of the day, fighting games are pretty niche, seemingly focussed at a major hardcore bunch. That's probably Konami's target audience here. Where some may dislike Tekken's old-school style, it may be a formula that can't be changed without considerable risk.

Analogies to car windows are inappropriate and shows a misunderstanding of the game and choices. Any valid argument for changing the animations has to either factor in timing and explain that the animations can be improved without material changing the gameplay experience, or that changes to the game will be fiscally beneficial (or at least a game one would personally prefer). "New for new's sake" is ignorant thinking.

Learn how to read..

I guess Capcom should've used the old crap animations from SF2 in SF4. BTW SF4 is not really 3D...LMAO...it's still a 2D fighter as you cant do sidesteps etc...*facepalm*

It is kind of difficult to use 2d animations in a 3d game....

Back