Tekken 7 announcement leaked - Will use Unreal Engine 4 ?

wIKBXzu.jpg

Looks like the rumor was true. A leaked IGN News video, published by AOL.com Video ahead of tonight’s official announcement, reveals Tekken 7 will be powered by Unreal Engine 4 and launch for current gen consoles.

“With Unreal Engine 4, we can rapidly achieve the visual quality expected on next-gen platforms and go beyond it,” Tekken series producer Katsuhiro Harada is quoted as saying in the video. “Not only is Unreal Engine 4 powerful and easy to use, but it allows us to easily bring Tekken 7 to any platform we desire.”

Further details were not announced.

http://gematsu.com/2014/07/tekken-7-leaked-uses-unreal-engine-4#uTTIeckLGJ54Uuj7.99

Also:

http://kotaku.com/tekken-7-announced-today-eventually-1604309372
http://www.destructoid.com/report-namco-bandai-will-announce-tekken-7-today-277995.phtml

Japanese and English teasers (no gameplay)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8VbR8vkS0A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3LuFSZqp4E

Unreal Engine 4 confirmed.

“With Unreal Engine 4, we could rapidly achieve visual quality expected on next-gen platform and go beyond it," game director Katsuhiro Harada said. "Not only is Unreal Engine 4 powerful and easy to use, but it allows us to immediately bring Tekken 7 to any platform we desire.”

Harada also explained that not needing to develop a new engine for Tekken to function on new hardware gave the development team the chance to "focus our efforts on making Tekken 7 the best possible game."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07...real-engine-4?abthid=53c3549e8fbf4a2d14000019

the last one was tekken 6, the sequel is tekken 7. Is there a problem?

The problem is the naming convention is getting long in the tooth...:LOL:

Just by the name you know it's a TIRED series with no creative thought behind it.

Does Tomb Raider 7 sound interesting? :LOL:

But the content hasn't been good for a long time...:LOL:

The last Tekken game I bought was Tekken 5 and it's horrible...:???:

Even Virtual Fighter and Street Fighter are only at 5 and 4...:cry:

BTW the best Star Wars were the first 3 movies not the later ones when they changed it to crappy Episode 1..2..3..etc.

Just shows they ran out of good ideas and are just milking the franchise by adding a stupid number to it.

Does Ken Kutaragi still work at Bandai/Namco? He should be fired for letting this stupid naming convention drag on like this...:LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I d love a numberless title with some refreshing ideas to accompany the title. Almost like a semi reboot of some sorts. The series got so many brilliant improvements but I feel that it urgently needs some fixes to balance things out and reduce a bit the over emphasis on juggles and devastating punishers.
The game has become way too brutal. Some moves are too punishing and cheap for the game's own good. The best out there can of course deal with it, but even watching the finals it becomes apparent that it brakes the balance and they are competing with accuracy of a width of a hair. One tiny mistake can equal to half a bar damage average. Some characters also have more devastating jugglers than others. Howarang for example has some of the most difficult ones that are more case sensitive than others, while characters like Bruce has much easier more devastating less case sensitive combos in comparison.
It also doesnt help many people to join the franchise. Imagine a newcomer who faces people that punish him twice followed by two juggles that result to a round loss with barely any opportunity to respond. This is actually a trend. I do that a lot with less experienced players and higher level players do it with me online. There isnt enough longevity and enough feedback in the match with a better opponent to improve if its so easy to lose in a round with a punish+juggle. You can barely do enough to see what works and what not.

Trailer still looks so cartoonish, I wanted a more realistic design so we can appreciate the UE4's strength a bit more. Hope the gameplay screens would deliver.

Street Fighter would have been Street Fighter 2136 if they counted all the Street Fighter games.
Virtua Fighter could have been called VF6 or 7 by now. The reason I am saying this is because VF4 and VF5 had some major updates. Especially VF5. Many command inputs have changed, they added new moves and removed some others, they improved the balance of the game, and they added extra characters and stages. Final Showdown was almost a full fledged sequel.

I think the number convention is good, reminds me to stay away :) Its not like renaming it Most bad ass Tekken ever, will make the game any better, then when its called Tekken 7 :D

BTW the best Star Wars were the first 3 movies not the later ones when they changed it to crappy Episode 1..2..3..etc.
Final Fantasy X, XI, XII, XXIII, XIV. DQ VIII, IX, X. The name is immaterial - if it's a good game, it's a good game (or not), whether it's called Tekken 7, or Tekken: The Dark Awakening, or something completely non-Tekken. COD is on its 11th version. Just because it's called COD:Advanced Warfare instead of COD XI, doesn't make it any less of a sequel nor any more/less of a game.

Any beef with Tekken would be a lack in innovation and progress in the actual game rather than the name. But then, maybe it doesn't need to? It can offer the same Tekken gameplay with more awesomer pretties. It may not be an advance on the PS1 games, but people wanting to play the PS1 Tekken experience without the eyesore of the miserable graphics will be grateful for next-gen Tekken. By and large it looks like the fighting genre is out of fashion and no fighting games are particularly special regardless of what they're called.

Tekken 6s! Or skip to Tekken 360 then Tekken One :) Anyway, do any of you know how much the mechanics had changed between titles?

I know they actually made my Xiao a decent one to play as :love:

In 3 she had a lot of good moves that they took out in four, only to bring back in 5 new and improved. And the 6 version of her was even better then that and TTT2/Revolution version was about the same.

As long as i can main her with confidence, i'm good.

I don't want to get into the conversation of whether or not tekken is good or not because its a meaningless argument. Fighting games can't really do much to evolve besides refine mechanics already in place. If your looking for some rare illusive new type of game play, go play another kind of game.

I'm probably one of the only ones interested in where they take the characters in the story, and what kind of tone will be set. I'm hoping for a slightly darker T4 kind of feel, of course they aren't going to go too far with it. Even so, i want to see what they can do with the visuals when they aren't held back by namco board 357. Seriously, they've been working with standard PS3 tech since 2006, its time to get a substantial upgrade without being held back by it.

But the content hasn't been good for a long time...:LOL:

The last Tekken game I bought was Tekken 5 and it's horrible...:???:

Just shows they ran out of good ideas and are just milking the franchise by adding a stupid number to it.

Does Ken Kutaragi still work at Bandai/Namco? He should be fired for letting this stupid naming convention drag on like this...:LOL:

What are you talking about Tekken 5 was an amazing game, it was played in Evo so that tells you something. Tekken 6 was great too and it was played at Evo as well, the problems with that game had nothing to do with gameplay but with issues like long load times and lag.

And Tekken 7 is better than rebranding this new game Tekken, a trend that's so common these days. Medal of Honour, Tomb Raider, Thief, Mirror's Edge (only after one game lol).

What i liked most about tekken 5 was practically bursting with content. Not only did it have jin's adventure, and arcade mode, as well as a semi story mode, but it also had all the previous versions of the tekken arcade games besides tag and 4. And it was AWESOME.

Its like Harada automatically forces his team to create one huge ass game bursting with content for the end of every console cycle. He did the same with TTT2 with over 50 characters, tons of customization options, tag options, over 50 CG endings, custom soundtracks , hell even a nice little illustration corner.

That's why i buy Tekken games day 1 no exceptions. Harada truly cares about my experience with his games. Complete night and day in comparison to Capcom. They are too far removed from what they once were and should not have been allowed to sully Tekken's name by associating with it.

Back