3dfx just won't die!

Dave Baumann

Gamerscore Wh...
Legend
[url=http://biz.yahoo.com/e/031121/nvda10-q.html said:
NVIDIA 10-Q Filing[/url]]On October 15, 2002, 3dfx filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. We believe that the bankruptcy filing by 3dfx will allow a determination of the full number and scope of 3dfx's debts and liabilities. In the event of an adverse outcome, NVIDIA may be obligated under the Asset Purchase Agreement to pay 3dfx the contingent consideration subject to offsets for NVIDIA's claims against 3dfx arising from the Asset Purchase Agreement. On March 12, 2003, we were served with a complaint by the Trustee for 3dfx seeking, among other things, additional payment for the purchased assets and the assumption by us of 3dfx's liabilities. In addition, Carlyle Fortran Trust and CarrAmerica, former landlords of 3dfx, have filed suits against us seeking payment of the rents due by 3dfx.

Hahaha... damn. I wonder just what the company still has in assets, just for amusement's sake... probably just the Juarez plant and the HQ. :LOL:

DaveBaumann said:
NVIDIA 10-Q Filing[/url]]On October 15, 2002, 3dfx filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. We believe that the bankruptcy filing by 3dfx will allow a determination of the full number and scope of 3dfx's debts and liabilities. In the event of an adverse outcome, NVIDIA may be obligated under the Asset Purchase Agreement to pay 3dfx the contingent consideration subject to offsets for NVIDIA's claims against 3dfx arising from the Asset Purchase Agreement. On March 12, 2003, we were served with a complaint by the Trustee for 3dfx seeking, among other things, additional payment for the purchased assets and the assumption by us of 3dfx's liabilities. In addition, Carlyle Fortran Trust and CarrAmerica, former landlords of 3dfx, have filed suits against us seeking payment of the rents due by 3dfx.

What's the old saying about "chickens coming home to roost?"...:D In 2003 nVidia's seen the chickens just flocking homewards. Poetic justice is if anything an understatement in this case. I've never doubted that the only reason nVidia "bought" 3dfx in the first place was to bury the multitexturing patent suit permanently. I mean, they've done just about zero with any of 3dfx's IP or patent portfolio in the time since, and they didn't need to buy 3dfx's assets to hire its ex-employeees, so it's difficult to see them gaining much of anything from the purchase except permanent relief from the specter of that suit. Thanks for bringing this up--I've heard many people say in the time since that nVidia purchased 3dfx's assets but not their liabilities and frankly wondered how such a thing could be...:) Now I see that nVidia did indeed purchase the liabilities as well, as I had always thought. I could not imagine a bankruptcy judge allowing the sale of a company's core assets without an assumption of liabilities, since a bankruptcy exists for the benefit of creditors (in theory, of course...:)).

Well, it seems Nvidia is using :
- 3dfx-like "mipmap dithering" (ie "false trilinear")
- post-filter technology (2xAA on the GFFX IIRC)
- the patented "missed product cycle" and "late to market" technologies :p

I think it was on this board that someone once said : "Nvidia hired 100 3dfx engineers. Little did they know it was the management in disguise."

CorwinB said:
Please do not forget the power connector on the GFFX. A Voodoo5 had the same one. ;)

Tagrineth said:
Hahaha... damn. I wonder just what the company still has in assets, just for amusement's sake... probably just the Juarez plant and the HQ. :LOL:
Technically speaking, anyone that 3dfx gave a Voodoo5 6000 to, FOC, without any contract has a 3dfx asset.

Technically speaking, anyone that 3dfx gave a Voodoo5 6000 to, FOC, without any contract has a 3dfx asset.

Anyone given a v6000 before Quantum3D took over the rights to it? Or will the collectors be knocking on Colourless' door very soon? :LOL:

WaltC said:
DaveBaumann said:

What's the old saying about "chickens coming home to roost?"...:D In 2003 nVidia's seen the chickens just flocking homewards. Poetic justice is if anything an understatement in this case. I've never doubted that the only reason nVidia "bought" 3dfx in the first place was to bury the multitexturing patent suit permanently. I mean, they've done just about zero with any of 3dfx's IP or patent portfolio in the time since, and they didn't need to buy 3dfx's assets to hire its ex-employeees, so it's difficult to see them gaining much of anything from the purchase except permanent relief from the specter of that suit. Thanks for bringing this up--I've heard many people say in the time since that nVidia purchased 3dfx's assets but not their liabilities and frankly wondered how such a thing could be...:) Now I see that nVidia did indeed purchase the liabilities as well, as I had always thought. I could not imagine a bankruptcy judge allowing the sale of a company's core assets without an assumption of liabilities, since a bankruptcy exists for the benefit of creditors (in theory, of course...:)).
the lawsuits was definitely the reason for the "buy out". i dont see how nvidia is liable for 3dfx though since they only bought technology, patents, and copyrights.

not much of the 3dfx tech was really usable in the nvidia product line (maybe sli for professional systems wouldve been the big one), and i dont think nvidia got alot of the rampage tech (q3d?), and defintely not the fear/mojo tech. i wouldve liked to see nvidia use some of the gigapixel tech and really push the pda market to use it. 3dfx was planning on doing so, but they had other things to worry about. this wouldve really given nvidia a head start in the pda market and they couldve had the entire 3d handheld marketshare to themselves.

Exxtreme said:
CorwinB said:
Please do not forget the power connector on the GFFX. A Voodoo5 had the same one. ;)
Whoa Charlie, the V5 6000 had a giant external power supply that was connected to the back of the card and had a separate AC plug. Not the internal Molex thing we see today on ATI cards and GFFX cards (and remember, ladies, the R300 had it before the GFFX).

The Baron said:
Whoa Charlie, the V5 6000 had a giant external power supply that was connected to the back of the card and had a separate AC plug. Not the internal Molex thing we see today on ATI cards and GFFX cards (and remember, ladies, the R300 had it before the GFFX).

I think he was referring to the (actually released) Voodoo5 5500, which had a Molex connector which was pretty badly destroyed PR-wise by people now talking about "extreme power" and "badges of honor" dustblower cooling...

I wish I had the patience to look back at Nvidia's PR stuff from back them so we could serve it back to them with some crow...

The Baron said:
Exxtreme said:
CorwinB said:

That was because 3DFX didn't trust the PSU's of the day to supply the required power stably, and supplied an external PSU rather than simply telling people they had to get a 350 watt PSU in their PCs (which wern't as easy to get back then anyway).

As CorwinB has pointed out, the V5500 series simply had a molex connect as the today's high end cards do.

V5 5500 had a Molex connector? damn, didn't know that. never had a V5, never wanted one--original Radeon worked just fine for me when it was time to upgrade from the TNT2

The Baron said:
V5 5500 had a Molex connector? damn, didn't know that. never had a V5, never wanted one--original Radeon worked just fine for me when it was time to upgrade from the TNT2
Yuppers, it certainly do. (I really do like my V5 5500, it's an incredibly great kid's card!)

OpenGL guy said:
I still own 200 shares of TDFX, maybe it'll be worth something someday :?
You might be able to write them off against your tax.

The Baron said:

Some Original GF cards had the same connector. Remember when the first AMD7 Mombos came out. There was an issue with the APG bus power being out of spec which caused the GF to "wig" out. I remember seeing a few GF to having this connector to correct for this issue.

WaltC said:
I mean, they've done just about zero with any of 3dfx's IP or patent portfolio in the time since

I don't know - I wonder if the nForce 2 would break any Aureal patents... I seriously do.

Regarding NVIDIA's GPU line, I suspect that very little stuff from 3DFX is being used; the very limited amount of 3DFX employees having went to NVIDIA's GPU division would make me think they had few means to implement most of this IP, anyway - plus, most of it was outdated.

The more I look at things, the more I find NVIDIA's NV3x naming stupid.
Why the FX? There's as much, if not more 3DFX influence in the R300, for god's sake!
Why the 5800 and 5600? Stealing Spectre's naming system is a complete lack of originality IMO.

If anything, the Comdex launch of the NV30 highlighted that wonderfully well: the video showing the merger refused to show for about 30 to 45 seconds IIRC. When it finally did show, it was 5 seconds long.
Jen Hsun Huang's own words: "You're supposed to see a video (...) not a short chinese guy!"

I admit, though, that I was even more impressed by the "short chinese guy" than by the "video of NVIDIA and 3DFX's names merging". Meh.

Uttar

Back