Crytek may go bankrupt

Yeah Im glad to see Crytek live on. It is kind of sad though they had to close Crytek Us and Uk.
You mean sell Crytek UK? As the Deep Silver deal purchased the UK studio to continue with Homefront development (so it must be looking fairly good as it was bought wholesale - IP, game, and developer).

F2P games means no more top of the line graphics. Meh.

Well they tried to give their pc customers top of the line graphics and were basically told "thanks for all the time and hard work you put into this free game" when it became the most pirated game ever. So what choice did they have? If they can't turn a profit they have to try something else, so it goes.

Why not make gamers pay for advanced graphics setting options?

Like a microtransaction, but instead of a new outfit/emblem/horse armor you get access to enhanced textures, enhanced graphics settings or/and even new tec.

I have the feeling that this would work.

Why not make gamers pay for advanced graphics setting options?

Like a microtransaction, but instead of a new outfit/emblem/horse armor you get access to enhanced textures, enhanced graphics settings or/and even new tec.

I have the feeling that this would work.

I dunno man, can you imagine the amount of Outrage(tm) that would cause, to make people pay for graphics settings? I think the internet would explode.

That would be shit. It's not like Crysis didn't sell well anyways. It could have really taken off (the multiplayer in particular) but then we got Crysis 2...

With the cash infusion it looks like they'll simply die a slower death now. The f2p stuff ain't gonna pay the bills. And it is also shit. Shitty shit shit.

Pay extra for the video card that supports it, then another extra to have it run?

Could work though... :p

If they don't use their assets(Crysis 1-3) and try to profit from reselling them to the new generation consoles they aren't really focused on generating money.

I dunno man, can you imagine the amount of Outrage(tm) that would cause, to make people pay for graphics settings? I think the internet would explode.
There's the risk of that, yes. In a F2P game I think people would be more understanding though, especially if the game doesn't look crap to begin with (because that implies they want to "force" you to buy the good graphics DLC.)

They'd have to handle the situation carefully to avoid (huge) negative fallout, that's for sure. There would always be screamers of course, no way to avoid the doomsayers yelling the sky is falling, naming them traitors, and so on...

Well they tried to give their pc customers top of the line graphics and were basically told "thanks for all the time and hard work you put into this free game" when it became the most pirated game ever. So what choice did they have? If they can't turn a profit they have to try something else, so it goes.

Even on consoles you can still achieve state of the art graphics. They did so with their last three games. But that's over now.

If they don't use their assets(Crysis 1-3) and try to profit from reselling them to the new generation consoles they aren't really focused on generating money.

I agree. They really should release the Crysis Trilogy for Ps4 and XB One. They lost the only AAA retail console game they were making when they sold HomeFront. Now all they have is Hunt and its free to play. If they follow the policy they previously anounced for the game the only thing they are selling in the game is character customization. They are not going to save themselves with that. The Crysis Trilogy should be a fairly quick and easy way to make money. They could also rework a deal with Ms to make Ryse 2. They need to realize that in order to be able to survive as a company and make f2p games they have to continue to make AAA retail titles for Pc and consoles.

F2P games means no more top of the line graphics. Meh.

That isn't necessarily true.

Black Desert Online is F2P and sports some of the most gorgeous graphics I've ever seen (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G6EXTBrwUY ). And they are using an in house engine.

ArchAge is over a year old now, but still sports some of the best looking water I've ever seen in a game. Granted the rest of it doesn't put it as the most graphically advanced game of it's time, but it isn't too shabby either considering it is an extremely large seemless open world. And it too is F2P.

I suppose it helps that they are both made in a country that is dominated by PC gaming so they've never had to make graphical concessions to games having to work on or be ported to consoles.

I also wouldn't be surprised if ArchAge has made the developer more money than GTA 4 or 5 made. And Black Desert is set to potentially eclipse that.

There is no reason Crytek couldn't still focus on developing their engine and keeping it on the bleeding edge even if they completely abandon traditional retail gaming distribution. And we still don't know if they are abandoning that method of distribution or not.

Obviously going F2P doesn't guarantee Crytek success, but neither does traditional retail gaming distribution.

Regards,
SB

That isn't necessarily true.

Black Desert Online is F2P and sports some of the most gorgeous graphics I've ever seen (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G6EXTBrwUY ). And they are using an in house engine.

ArchAge is over a year old now, but still sports some of the best looking water I've ever seen in a game. Granted the rest of it doesn't put it as the most graphically advanced game of it's time, but it isn't too shabby either considering it is an extremely large seemless open world. And it too is F2P.

I suppose it helps that they are both made in a country that is dominated by PC gaming so they've never had to make graphical concessions to games having to work on or be ported to consoles.

I also wouldn't be surprised if ArchAge has made the developer more money than GTA 4 or 5 made. And Black Desert is set to potentially eclipse that.

There is no reason Crytek couldn't still focus on developing their engine and keeping it on the bleeding edge even if they completely abandon traditional retail gaming distribution. And we still don't know if they are abandoning that method of distribution or not.

Obviously going F2P doesn't guarantee Crytek success, but neither does traditional retail gaming distribution.

Regards,
SB

They look nice, mostly due to asset quality, but won't compete with ND-level games like the Crysis series did.

Cevat Yerli: It's not an investment and Crytek has not been bought. It's revenue. It's purely revenue.
It's a revenue deal?
Cevat Yerli: Yeah.
If it's a revenue deal how did you get the cash injection to pay staff?
Cevat Yerli: It might be a larger revenue deal. Like a big one.
So you got cash up front.
Cevat Yerli: Usually our deals have cash up front. Yeah.

Anyone able to decipher what that means?

Back