Crytek may go bankrupt

x0w5Urk.gif

:runaway: :runaway: :runaway:

:oops:
LOL. One of my favorite episodes.

That's why I never bought it, I just stick with Steam as I prefer one place for everything and Steam offers me more than enough gaming to last two lifetimes. Same reason I never bought Mass Effect 3, if it's not on Steam then it doesn't exist to me.

Crysis 2 was very popular as shown in this link:

http://hothardware.com/News/Crysis-2-Tops-List-of-Most-Pirated-Games-of-2011

...just in the wrong way, so it's questionable if that game made them any profit at all or just broke even. Crysis 3 was just out of place on the older consoles, shipping that late on last gen means it would be impossible to visually wow anyone which takes a lot of the bite out of it. I don't know if it was a good game or not as I never played it, but presumably it played similar to Crysis 2 which was the most popular game among thieves in 2011.

I buy on origin , steam and gog . Steam used to be my go too but I've moved more to GOG . I had a friend who's credit card did a charge back against steam based on the assumption it was theft and his steam account was locked and he still hasn't gotten access back to it

Not enough triangles left for the body since the jersey barrier is there

I just thought I'd throw this in here ... ha ha ha

http://kotaku.com/the-horror-of-crysis-2s-crouching-1605054998

So funny. I would have bought the game if you could see this during gameplay.

That doesn't even make sense. :p Crysis 2 had multiplayer so it was relatively easy to see people crouching behind barriers without that distortion. The original Reddit link doesn't even explain how they made the GIF. I'm assuming they tinkered with more than just the camera position.

Regards,
SB

Could have been different lower quality models with full animation and structure for MP.

What a bullet dodge...
Let's hope this serves them as a wake-up-call for more intelligent business practices rather than a stop gap temporary "solution" that'll merely delay their eventual shutdown.
I hope this money ends up helping a company create as much great products and technology as they can instead of having it be wasted by inefficient managing like crytek apparently did with what it got in the past.

To me, their PR spin-letter sounded like they intend to stick to the F2P road towards mediocre bullshit they stuck out on. I see no sign of any change in direction.

I think they're circling the drain - you might not notice it immediately, if they've been re-inflated by new cash, but eventually they'll run out of money again and next time it won't be as "easy" to find more financing. You can only live off of someone else's money for so long, after all. And during the turbulence the company probably lost a significant amount of talented staff. This will not help them in the future.

IP and shit like that is just a minor thing, really. It's the people that are important in any company that creates stuff as their business.

To me, their PR spin-letter sounded like they intend to stick to the F2P road towards mediocre bullshit they stuck out on. I see no sign of any change in direction.

I think they're circling the drain - you might not notice it immediately, if they've been re-inflated by new cash, but eventually they'll run out of money again and next time it won't be as "easy" to find more financing. You can only live off of someone else's money for so long, after all. And during the turbulence the company probably lost a significant amount of talented staff. This will not help them in the future.

IP and shit like that is just a minor thing, really. It's the people that are important in any company that creates stuff as their business.

Not sure where you get that...

Our evolution from a development studio to an Online-Publisher has required us to refocus our strategies.

Is the closest thing to your supposition, but if you look at it closely seems to imply they are going to focus less on developing games and focus more on being a publisher of games.

Which makes sense when you look further down in their letter.

We can now concentrate on the long term strategic direction of Crytek and our core competencies.

The bolded part and...

We remain committed to doing what we are best known for and trying to develop the best interactive experiences and technology possible for everyone who loves gaming.

Seem to indicate more of a focus on engine development. Which kind of ties in nicely with being an online-publisher. For example, if they focus on publishing games using their engine, I could see where such a deal would see them waive engine licensing fee's in exchange for publishing rights.

That said they have both traditional games as well as F2P games being developed. And F2P doesn't mean crap. I already posted an abbreviated list of very good and very successful F2P games in a previous post. Just because it's F2P doesn't mean it's crap. And just because a game isn't F2P doesn't mean it isn't crap.

Regards,
SB

I'm still trying to figure out who would actually invest in the company to pull them out of this rut that they got themselves into. They must have a hell of a spinster on the board to convince people to give them more money to burn through.

For an established company with multiple products already released, the only people who should be giving you money should be your customers. If you're having to beg for money from other companies or investors, you're doing something wrong. If you've "changed direction" and now have zero or negative profit, then maybe that direction wasn't the correct one. They're merely delaying the inevitable at this point.

I'm still trying to figure out who would actually invest in the company to pull them out of this rut that they got themselves into.

I have to assume that mass layoffs and/or restructuring was part of the deal, I can't imagine they will just continue as they are.

The story continues.

Deep Silver parent company Koch Media has bought the Homefront intellectual property from Crytek and re-purposed Homefront: The Revolution developer Crytek UK into Deep Silver Dambuster Studios.

Homefront: The Revolution would continue at Deep Silver Dambuster Studios based in Nottingham.

Are those Kochs THOSE Kochs? ;)

Anyway, good to see the game studio live on. Warms the Kochles of my heart, etc. :)

Yeah Im glad to see Crytek live on. It is kind of sad though they had to close Crytek Us and Uk.
They seem to really only care about online and f2p in the future.
I mean they closed the 2 studios that had the greatest potential going forward.
Of course Frankfurt is still there and taking over Hunt the horrors.

Back