Capcom shareholders open possibility of takeover

how much would Capcom cost ?

But yea if MS bought Capcom it would certainly make things interesting, exclusive lost planet , dead rising , street fighter . Yikes that would be a megaton for any of the big 3 to get them.

But yea if MS bought Capcom it would certainly make things interesting, exclusive lost planet , dead rising , street fighter . Yikes that would be a megaton for any of the big 3 to get them.

Capcom's total stock is pushing $1 billion USD. Have Capcom financials been tanking?

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/explanation.html

I have no idea what this means. :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

----

Maybe Nintendo should do it.

It looks as though business is relatively healthy but flat lining in terms of growth. I would speculate that Capcom feels the need to expand certain areas of its business but lacks the capital investment and\or the acumen to do so. Perhaps the view is that a buyer may be able to bring cash and a greater business reach to the mix.

I sure hope none of the console manufacturers buy it. Capcom needs to stay multiplatform, everyone should enjoy their games. Personally I'd be very surprised if they allow a non-Japanese company to buy them.

Streetfighter was once a golden goose, but competitive gaming has moved beyond fighting games. Now days its about FPS and MOBAs.

MS might be hesitant to buy it up given their experience with Rare. They might be more interested in buying some of the IPs like Dead Rising, Streetfighter or Viewtiful Joe.

Nintendo wouldn't benefit much from buying it at the moment. They'd be saddled with teh operating costs of Capcom and inability to sell enough software on WiiU. All the capcom IPs would be really injured by being locked up for years on a console that has a small userbase and would drift even further from minshare and decrease in relevance.

Sony probably doesn't want to be saddled with more debt, though hypoothetically they'd probably be interested in scooping up Capcom if they were swimming in as much cash as MS.

Like Shifty's Bitch said I hope none of the console makers buy it though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also agree any hardware manufacturer buying them would be all kinds of not good. If it ever happens I hope it's a third party publisher or some kind of merger.

EA or Ubisoft could buy them but they're both already too big, nobody should wield that much power.

Namco Bandai merging with Capcom could be interesting?

Namco would be great - they already did SF vs Tekken. But I have no idea whether they would even be able to buy Capcom.
Square Enix maybe?

Hmm, Capcom I assume makes a hefty portion of their revenue in Japan, which would take a major hit if they are taken over by an American company...

So yeah no, bad idea.

Plus, I just dont see them as having any super big relevant IP in this day and age. Sure there's Streetfighter and such, but it's not like those are just sales juggernauts anymore.

Hello! Capcom is not just fighting games. It's Resident Evil, Devil May Cry etc. They have a lot of talent.

Yup I'm not discounting the other IPs. But over the course of 8 years these ips have unfortunately been losing the interest of american/eu gamers.

Streetfighter, Megaman, Viewtiful Joe, Bionic Commando, DMC & RE are no longer the OMG must have games. Now days its CoD, authentic* Elderscrolls, Masseffect, HL3, Halo, Gears of War, GTA, Bioshock, Farcry, etc

Yup I'm not discounting the other IPs. But over the course of 8 years these ips have unfortunately been losing the interest of american/eu gamers.

Streetfighter, Megaman, Viewtiful Joe, Bionic Commando, DMC & RE are no longer the OMG must have games. Now days its CoD, authentic* Elderscrolls, Masseffect, HL3, Halo, Gears of War, GTA, Bioshock, Farcry, etc

Sorry but if you say that in recent years RE and DMC may have lost some of their success, then you can't put Bioshock and GOW in the list of 'OMG must have games', cause they have taken as much a beating in recent years as many of Capcom's old IPs. Especially GOW which hasn't been a must have franchise for many iterations.

Sure they have some oldies they can let go, but like they have created some seriously iconic IPs, I'm sure they will churn out more in the future.

We need fighting games and 'traditional' Japanese games like only Capcom can make. They need some modernisation, I do agree with that, but I do not agree that now gaming is all FPS and online multiplayers.

Namco would be an interesting choice. Both have heavy arcade backgrounds and are already in the same genres. It might mean fewer releases, but Namcapcom has a decent ring to it.

Sega would be another interesting choice, but only if the company was interested in making compelling games and not crapping all over Capcom's content. I think Capcom could be just what Sega needs to regain market share worldwide.

I also agree any hardware manufacturer buying them would be all kinds of not good. If it ever happens I hope it's a third party publisher or some kind of merger.

EA or Ubisoft could buy them but they're both already too big, nobody should wield that much power.

Namco Bandai merging with Capcom could be interesting?
Well, my original post was in the Xbox One thread -not a thread in itself-, but I can see your point. While I'd love to have Capcom's exclusive games for the Xbox One, I think that it would be better for everybody to enjoy their games.

Plus, they have been always ahead of everyone else. Ahead of their time, I mean... :smile2:

For instance, they supported transgendered people in their games, so lesbians (I love to see two women kissing) and gays, and transsexuals are natural for them.

I am neither of those, BUT what I've seen in life is that your preferences are inborn and that can't be changed, so I respect them.

They created Poison many years ago, which is a transgender character, for example:

http://www.fightersgeneration.com/characters3/poison.html

And that was when we were kids already..... They are SO talented.

EDIT: More on the matter...

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/27/poison-was-always-transgendered-and-heres-a-documentary-provin/

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry but if you say that in recent years RE and DMC may have lost some of their success, then you can't put Bioshock and GOW in the list of 'OMG must have games', cause they have taken as much a beating in recent years as many of Capcom's old IPs. Especially GOW which hasn't been a must have franchise for many iterations.

Sure they have some oldies they can let go, but like they have created some seriously iconic IPs, I'm sure they will churn out more in the future.

We need fighting games and 'traditional' Japanese games like only Capcom can make. They need some modernisation, I do agree with that, but I do not agree that now gaming is all FPS and online multiplayers.
My point is regardless of the quality of the games people in america and eu just aren't buying them. Even in japan because of their worsening economy people are not buying huge numbers of the ps4.

I agree I'd hate to see the japanese developers fold or go under or get bought out. Because even if they get bought out their new owners may decide these games don't have any traction and put the japanese ips on the side burner and do something sad like have the studios focus on making cell phone games for ios.

it will be a huge blow of gaming community if MS buy them and making all of their game xbox exclusive.

*Capcom is one of the BEST Japan multiplatform (PC + home/mobile consoles) developer and publisher. In term of variety of genre and amount of games.

*my opinion

sure if MS buy them they will say that it will bring awesome support to multiplatform, including PC. But in reality, MS wont be releasing multiplatform. They always been like that since so many years ago :/
say support multiplatform, but always do exclusive

If MS buys them I think they'll analyse which will work better in the long run to go exclusive or multiplatform or BOTH depending on the specific IP.

Back