World Cup 2014

Based on the first 90 minutes I thought the two teams were close, but Argentine deserved the win, the teams advantage mainly cancelled by some good work by Celissen (the Dutch goalkeeper) and only the last few minutes the Dutch team getting some decent pressure in.

Then I just went to bed. Glad I did! ;)

Don't expect too much from Brasil vs Holland, the Dutch coach said that there shouldn't be match for third and fourth at all :D But who knows, if Brasil plays well, the Dutch will still be stimulated, and Brasil might be motivated to take some small bit of revenge.

I think it would be good if they introduced bronze and silver cups, that way there is more at stake for the 3rd and 4th place.

Van Persie was such a disappointment after the first game. In the last two games he just seemed to be really slow and seemed like every touch was a bad one. I miss Nistelrooy...

Final should be interesting. I'm personally rooting for Germany, but Argentina has a lot of skill and their game seems to be solid on all fronts, so they should be able to put up a great fight.

That match was terrible, boring is putting it lightly; both teams came out with the same intention for the entire match which was "don't let them score".

I hope Germany wins.

The first booking should have really been a red card and not just a yellow card. Brazil caught a big break there.

So is Brazil starting off on another meltdown? I can only hope so. I want to see another drumming, even 8 - 0.

yes terrible match where noone deserves to win
but lookee here, there must be better footage though
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/10257376/Were-the-Dutch-robbed-in-shootout
The ball touched the kicker on the shoulder, it instantly became a deadball.

My bet for Sunday is Germany.
I hope they win.

The first booking should have really been a red card and not just a yellow card. Brazil caught a big break there.

So is Brazil starting off on another meltdown? I can only hope so. I want to see another drumming, even 8 - 0.
Yeah it should have been a red card + penalty outside the box; Brazil got lucky with the yellow + inside the box penalty, they should have been playing with 10 men after the 3min mark.

3 - 0 is good enough to humiliate them, it makes their total points for the last two matches 1 for and 10 against. :LOL:

It's gotta be a Germany win, Argentina have been so uninteresting to watch. Except when Iran gave them a run for their money. :p

By far the best chances for Argentina up till now. Germany is making some sloppy mistakes today.

Hoping they can kick it up a notch.

Argentina ought to have had a player or two sent off tonight. The referee was unduly lenient as the tired tackles and challenges started flying in.

Good winner for the Germans but Argentina should be kicking themselves for failing to hit the target with a few good chances.

Not a bad final and a good tournament overall so I'm pleased it didn't go to penalties tonight.

Germany!?!

Just checking.

Don't think there was any bias really. I think the refs have been told to avoid sending anyone off in these final games unless they really have no choice. Yesterday Thiago Silva should have been sent off after only 3 mins - ref game an inexplicable yellow. Today Aguero should have been sent off, Mascherano was probably lucky as well. If the ref was biased I don't think he'd have given a foul against Higuain for getting cleaned out by Neuer for example. The refs have just been playing it safe, giving the easy decisions, trying not to ruffle any feathers. Which is wrong of course, they should just ref the game, regardless of the occasion.

Germany won, well deserved as they were the best team of the tournament.
Messi winning the Golden Ball Award was a joke though.

James Rodrigez was a fair better candidate.

People like Messi and Ronaldo always get the awards if they get to the final as people know they are the best in the World and vote accordingly.

Messi was certainly long down the list of stand out players this tournament, but I don't like him and when he choked with his free kick right at the end I celebrated almost as much as when Germany scored.

Imo the top candidates were Messi, Robben and Rodriquez. I personally think the choice has to be made from the final four teams. Messi was very important for the team, more so than any single German. But yeah he didn't really stand out that much either, it was kind of "I guess we have to give it somebody" trophy now and I don't think Messi holds it in very high regards either.

Great Cup anyway imo, and the final was very entertaining game with the best teams in the tournament. Argentina was a very game opponent and at times they were controlling the game. Palacio was a poor substitute for them, whereas Germany's subs were great.

I think the refs have been told to avoid sending anyone off in these final games unless they really have no choice.
It's time to just kill the sacred cow already, let the ref send out a player for limited time or force him to be substituted or something. They need some other punishments than next to nothing and granting powerplay for the rest of the match.

Back