World Cup 2014

I cant believe that :cry:

"The chairman of the FIFA disciplinary committee deeply regrets the incident and the serious consequences on Neymar's health.

"No retrospective action can be taken... since the incident involving the Colombian player Juan Camilo Zuniga Mosquera did not escape the match officials' attention.

"The conditions by which the FIFA disciplinary committee can intervene in any incident have to be considered independently of the consequences of that incident, such as an unfortunate injury suffered by a player.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-to-listen-to-thiago-silva-pleas-9590350.html

I think they just mean that he awarded the free-kick for a foul.

Their regulations state that a player can't be retrospectively punished for an offence if the referee saw the incident and didn't take disciplinary action at the time.

If he'd whacked Neymar off the ball and behind the referee's back they they could have applied a later punishment.

So if the ref saw Suarez biting, he would actually got of with a lighter punishment (red card)? Or basically anyone can do what Zuniga did as long as the ref call it? If they want to discourage dirty play, they certainly can, but apparently won't do it. Yes, they made flopping a bookable offense, but it didn't deter the footballer from using it because the lack of punishment for it and the benefit it brings. If they can give punishment after the match, I'm sure the dives, play acting, foul for the sake of fouling would be greatly reduced.

What FIFA (politically) is saying is that break some bones is OK.

I hope tomorrow Brazil will choose a high tempo and more technical game.
The other option is a more physical with lots of tactical fouling game.

Last edited by a moderator:
So if the ref saw Suarez biting, he would actually got of with a lighter punishment (red card)? Or basically anyone can do what Zuniga did as long as the ref call it? If they want to discourage dirty play, they certainly can, but apparently won't do it. Yes, they made flopping a bookable offense, but it didn't deter the footballer from using it because the lack of punishment for it and the benefit it brings. If they can give punishment after the match, I'm sure the dives, play acting, foul for the sake of fouling would be greatly reduced.

Diving, not flopping. :p

It's a tricky issue, really. I'd imagine the regulations are set up as they are so that the referee (with the help of his assistants) remains the chief arbiter of decisions in each particular game. The theory is that, if the referee sees an incident, he will get the decision correct and then punish the player (or not) accordingly. To retrospectively and arbitrarily reverse or adjust a referee's decision would undermine the authority of the referee.

It's an understandable policy, but its fairness is certainly debatable.

Sometimes they do flops, like the famous Rivaldinho's flop :) and sometimes when there is a very light contact involving the use of hand, they go down like just being punched very hard in the face.

So if the ref saw Suarez biting, he would actually got of with a lighter punishment (red card)?

This is accurate. After the biting incident, this was a point that was widely discussed during our broadcast with an attending referee. It is exactly as you state; If a ref sees it and does not take action, he deemed it okay. However in the case of Suarez biting, no ref saw it which is why video evidence was used for a post-race punishment/disqualification.

Unfortunately, I didn't see the Neymar foul, but I guess this is just one of the bad traits of football. It's effectively a non-contact sport - you're only allowed to play the ball, but every now and then, contact among players is inevitable. Just as when two players chase down the same ball, it becomes a question who is in the right or not. From experience, as long as you play the ball, it is rarely considered a foul - if however you fail to touch the ball during your move and instead hit the other player it's a foul.

Stretched legs are no-goes and usually punished immediately with a red card. Yellow cards are used for repeative offences, hard fouls, fouls with intent (like tactical fouls when fouling a player that otherwise would get a free run to the goal). Sometimes, players will make contact and cause injuries even when there wasn't any harmful intent (like when they attempt to hit the ball with the head during corners) etc.

As I said, I haven't seen the Neymar foul, but I find it hard to believe there was any malicous intent, just very unlucky (yet lucky at the same time that the injury isn't more severe)...?

The foul on Neymar was pretty bad as Zuniga sort of jumped up and kneed him in the back. He could certainly have been red carded for dangerous play and ought to have been booked at the very least.

That said, I'm not convinced there was any intent to harm Neymar, I just thought it was careless and clumsy. Pascal (and over 200 million other Brazilians!) feel it was a deliberate attempt to injure him!

There was only three minutes left to end the game.
Most brazilians think Zuniga wanted to get Neymar out of the game and/or some sort of retaliation for the game result.

He took an extremely dangerous and risky action that even professional fighters dont take.
Neymar was 1 inch to be paralyzed. This is crazy :cry:

Also he had an in game history of disloyal and dangerous action like Hulk´s knee attack.

He didnt made any meaningfull excuse or action after that.
He didnt visited Neymar.
Only "Crocodile Tears" and he was away unpunished.

Brazilian Soccer Confederation (CBF) says that Zuniga talked to Neymar before the action with personal ofenses.

I know that the brazilian team had a lot of tactical fouling and we dont like it too.
But Zuniga actions were way beyond tactical fouling.

CBF asked 3 things.
1 - Ban of the referee (Velasco) for the extremelly bad performance and allowing that low quality game.
2 - Zuniga punishment.
3 - Thiago Silva back to the game.

IMHO most probably FIFA did not liked we asked for the referee ban. This was also an implicit questioning of the FIFA politics for the World Cup. Then they gave some rules excuses for no action and retaliated CBF.

Maybe it's because there hasn't been the best possible angle of the situation, but from the two I've seen it doesn't seem there was a foul on Hulk before Luiz's fk. Rodriguez went for the ball and pushed it from his feet, barely even touched him, and Hulk jumped over and dived.

I'm hoping for a Brazil - Argentina final.

I want Holland - Germany, just like 3 days after I was born, 40 years ago. :D And I want it to be a beautiful, fair game, with great football and fair play.

I can dream, right? :D

I somehow feel that Brasil won't make it to the final though. The hosting country has a habit of making it far, but not to the final, and both Brasil and Argentine are missing star players in the semis. And Germany and Holland have quite strong teams this year and have mostly been very convincing.

I want Holland - Germany, just like 3 days after I was born, 40 years ago. :D And I want it to be a beautiful, fair game, with great football and fair play.

Nah - it's much more fun when the two teams are trying to kick chunks out of each other! ;)

Unbelievably bad defending by the Brazilians lets Mueller finish easily to give the Germans the lead.

Should set the game up nicely for Brazil to attack and Germany to try and counter-attack.

Crikey. I knew the Brazilian defence wasn't great, but this is getting ridiculous.

They'll concede double-figures if they aren't careful.

Well, I get the first part of my wish - Germany looks like it'll make it. :D (5-0 at this point!)

I only just started watching, but really sharp passing game by the Germans so far. Better than ours.

I think losing Neymar affected them too negatively and then after they conceded the1st goal they began collapsing and each goal made them collapse further.

They conceded four goals in seven minutes. I'm far from a football expert but I'm not sure that had ever happened to Brazil's national team in any kind of match.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back